[MRP] Pick a side when it comes to Regal Rats; valid or not?

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.
Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

[MRP] Pick a side when it comes to Regal Rats; valid or not?

Post by TheSmallBlue » #727275

So, Here's The Tea.

On round 227574 I rolled midround Regal Rat.
I decided to do a friendly "take over" of the bridge, basically just ventcrawl there, get me gunk on the ground, make some rats, say hi to the passerbys. While doing this, I managed to meet a sec officer, the captain, and an AI, to all of which I communicated my lack of intent to do harm. I decide a bit afterwards to exit the bridge and make my way to the kitchen, in which I sat in the counter waiting for the chef to come back so that I could kindly ask for some cheese. While waiting, a rogue security officer came out of nowhere and two-shot me with a laser gun, killing me instantly.

So, that sucks! And I begin thinking about it. The regal rat isn't restriction excempt, according to the table in the rules, so surely that means there's no real reason to simply ignore escalation policy, right? So I send a ticket which Dunham kindly picks up:
► Show Spoiler
After having this chat with them it seems clear to me that there's a disconnect between what is written in policy and how admins actually handle The Rat:
- According to policy, Regal Rat is not an antag, let alone a restriction exempt one. Therefore, there really is no reason to not follow escalation policy with it.
- In practice however, The Rat is too powerful for it to not be valid, with its army of mice being able to kill a person in seconds, and its miasma making any room inhospitable. So it seems admins tend to allow for it to be killed with no escalation, even if policy states they shouldn't.

So here is where a decision must be made.
If The Rat is to stay as an non-restriction-exempt non-antag, then enforce proper escalation policy with it.
If proper escalation shouldn't be followed when it comes to such a powerful boy, then make new policy that clarifies the exemption.
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
TheSmallBlue

Re: [MRP] Pick a side when it comes to Regal Rats; valid or not?

Post by TheSmallBlue » #727276

My personal opinion is that I don't really see why The Rat couldn't be an antag. When it comes to the nightmare, for example, there is absolutley no doubt about whether if its an antag or not, and whether if its restriction exempt or not. So like, make The Rat a restriction exempt antag, like the nightmare.
Comm from
xzero314
Byond Username: Xzero314

Post by xzero314 » #727279

Rat kings already all act like antags anyway. A rat king sitting in the pipes 24/7 spamming gunk is one of the most unfun things to deal with. rat kings are too annoying be an actual antag rather than something meant to stay in maints and make a lair.

I actually roll my eyes when a rat king and its massive army breaks into the bridge or medbay and then gets mad at being unwanted.

Requiring to escalate against an actual giant rat monster would also be extremely silly.
ImageImageImageImage
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #727288

Yeah I've seen this happen far too many times to count. And unfortunately it highly depends on who's the admin watching over the round on whether they look into it or ignore you for being a ghostrole. Personally I treat them the same way as you would a mind magnified monkey, if they're causing problems they're valid otherwise just leave them be.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #727290

Rats should not be unrestricted "I am allowed to murder anyone and everyone, sabotage atmos, and delaminate the engine" antagonists because that's stupid.
If that became what people use the role for we would have to make code changes to support that, because it is currently not considered an antagonist by the game at all and the only criteria to become one is "notice the ghost role exists and click on it first".

There's no selection system for the regal rat. There's no antag preferences for the regal rat. You can't even be banned from being a regal rat except for being banned from becoming any sapient animal.

It should just be authorised to follow its flavour text and experience the consequences of following said flavour text.
Similarly crew should be allowed to do whatever to it on the preexisting justification of it being enormous bad-smelling vermin, an intruder to the station, and unhygenic.

Sure, this sounds like a one-sided relationship where someone who wants to attempt diplomacy with the crew risks a single guy who doesn't want to play blasting them with a beam. That doesn't bother me at all because they are a free on-station ghost role. You get what you are voluntarily signing up for.
Plus that's realistic RP: this is the kind of environment a giant talking rat would realistically encounter, one containing murderous prejudice.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #727298

Rat king is both physically frail and requires someone else to willingly convert to their side which is apparently so rare that I literally never see anyone else bring it up.

It takes quite a bit of time to lick a beaker enough to the point where if someone drinks it all theyll overdose and get the rat king faction and even more time to find someone willing.

But im pretty sure their conversion to the rat king's fold is only a single line of red text that they could potentially miss or simply not take seriously after awhile because it does not give them any sustaining icon that proves their continued loyalty making rat king conversion an extreme exception to other "conversion/brainwashing" effects where its both voluntary and not taken seriously.

If rat kings were valid on sight them being able to convert people at all is kind of pointless since it cant defend itself and it kind of needs to expose itself in order to find people to willingly convert for it.

I think the last time i actually played rat king i was talking to security when a random assistant with a fire axe 3 shot me because i was in a typing menu and then when security tried to arrest the assistant they fucked off to go explore space ruins to avoid any repercussions, its already a terrible antag for talking to crew since your health pool is so small that talking to people is a death sentence.

Putting all of this together, rat king has mechanics that kind of imply its not meant to be entirely hostile to crew and wants to be around them but at the same time it literally cant play nice if it values its own existence, especially if its valid on sight.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #727302

its a man sized rat that fills the air with miasma, covers the floor with oil and vomit and has a army of rats that are quite lethal in large numbers, its perfectly valid to kill it
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
gameaddict07
Byond Username: Gameaddict07

Post by gameaddict07 » #727346

xzero314 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:30 pm Rat kings already all act like antags anyway.
This is because anyone is allowed to walk up to them and murder them on the spot for quite literally no reason at all. The rat kings that try to RP and do interesting things all die this way, leaving only the ones that hide in vents and spam miasma or build up armies to instantly crit any hapless assistant that draws near. Which then, of course, causes people to try and preemptively stop that from happening by killing rat kings on sight, and the whole thing goes in a cycle.
I bet if escalation actually applied to them then they'd become more than just a griefing role.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #727348

gameaddict07 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 pm

This is because anyone is allowed to walk up to them and murder them on the spot for quite literally no reason at all. The rat kings that try to RP and do interesting things all die this way, leaving only the ones that hide in vents and spam miasma or build up armies to instantly crit any hapless assistant that draws near. Which then, of course, causes people to try and preemptively stop that from happening by killing rat kings on sight, and the whole thing goes in a cycle.
I bet if escalation actually applied to them then they'd become more than just a griefing role.
From personal experience, correct, i cant do anything when im friendly and try to lick beakers for willing converts since I just die, but when i sit in maint and spam rats and roll for oil spill to slip people i actually get to play the game.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #727788

I think that Regal Rats should be classified as an antagonist.

By design, Regal Rats are a net negative towards the station and its crew. Aside from being able to 'recruit' willing personnel it does nothing to assist the station or its goals. It spreads disease when using one of its two cooldown abilities, the other ability being creating an army of innately hostile creatures.

It's a goblin role that can keep a few departments busy for a bit. An annoyance that can keep a few departments busy, but a small speedbump for anyone with a ranged weapon. By design it's a griefing role, if anything we should lean into it and embrace that part of the role. It's like being a friendly wizard, it just misses the point (in my opinion).
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #727817

"Friendly takeover of the bridge". Your valid
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #727834

I feel like I'm fine with them as they are - they shouldn't be considered a direct threat unless they leave maintenance and try to take over the station.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #727871

EmpressMaia wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:00 pm "Friendly takeover of the bridge". Your valid
Hm? What's wrong with my valid?
Comm from
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #727873

Hard valids on MRP suck. It's a big horrible unfriendly rat that spreads stink, causes trouble, and has a dangerous gang of killer mice. Roleplay appropriately.

If the captain is negotiating cheese rights and johnny sec walks up and blasts it wordlessly, let the captain drum him outta the force for insubordination or whatever he feels like. If the rat is just hanging around in the open it's taking its life in its own hands as a pest though.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #727876

To me, setting up in someone's department, or taking over a high security area leaves you at the mercy of the respective crew or command. I feel like it is currently fine as is. Regal Rats aren't KOS, but they have a tightrope to walk where if they're too annoying/destructive, then the crew will retaliate and slaughter them to a rat. Sometimes a rat that is being tolerated will randomly get gunned down by Randy Redshirt the validhunter sec officer but that can be solved via IC means of the captain/hos demoting them and the rat king being revived via a lazarus (can doctors to the pet surgery on rat kings?)
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #727880

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:43 am(can doctors to the pet surgery on rat kings?)
Yes, on pretty much any organic "basic mob" (which is most but not all mobs at the moment)