application of "IC OOC" when the game glitches

ishner
Byond Username: Ishner

application of "IC OOC" when the game glitches

Post by ishner » #157440

I was given a 16 minute ban for IC OOC that I feel was undeserved.
I am not appealing it because 16 minutes is not worth the trouble of complaining.
I am posting here because I think the point needs clarification.

So this is what happened:
I was an engborg. I set up a Tesla engine. The containment fields were in perfect condition. The energy ball IMMEDIATELY moved STRAIT THROUGH the walls of the containment field. I checked the containment field and it was still perfectly fine. I asked adminhelp about the glitch and got no response. The shuttle was called. I setup grounding rods to make escape safe. I ended up dead just before shuttle launch. Now that I had time, I asked OOC how the hell the Tesla got out of a perfectly stable containment field. I got banned.

The main issue is that i WAS NOT asking what happened in the game. what i was asking about was the nature of the glitch. Glitches are not an IC event.
Where should a person ask about game glitches? I thought that it should be OOC, but apparently I was wrong.
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Re: application of "IC OOC" when the game glitches

Post by Shad0vvs » #157447

ishner wrote:I was given a 16 minute ban for IC OOC that I feel was undeserved.
I am not appealing it because 16 minutes is not worth the trouble of complaining.
I am posting here because I think the point needs clarification.

So this is what happened:
I was an engborg. I set up a Tesla engine. The containment fields were in perfect condition. The energy ball IMMEDIATELY moved STRAIT THROUGH the walls of the containment field. I checked the containment field and it was still perfectly fine. I asked adminhelp about the glitch and got no response. The shuttle was called. I setup grounding rods to make escape safe. I ended up dead just before shuttle launch. Now that I had time, I asked OOC how the hell the Tesla got out of a perfectly stable containment field. I got banned.

The main issue is that i WAS NOT asking what happened in the game. what i was asking about was the nature of the glitch. Glitches are not an IC event.
Where should a person ask about game glitches? I thought that it should be OOC, but apparently I was wrong.
Basically you asked how the testla got out that round in ooc, when the testla got out that round IC, Which the ban is acceptable for. I don't see how this is confusing.

A better time would be to ask how it got out before the start of the next game.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #157448

Even if the tesla getting out is by itself a bug that shouldn't have happened, the effects that follow it are all considered to be IC. If you wanted to ask about it in OOC, you should have waited until the round was over, or ask about it in the next round

In general, always play on the safe side with IC in OOC. If someone who just connected to the server and is still setting up his character can divine any information about what's happening in the round, don't do it
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #157450

Saying stuff about the current round, regardless of reason, in OOC, is IC in OOC. If you have to ask something round-related and the admins aren't replying (e.g. you want to know how to make an esword rainbow), pose it as a hypothetical and make it super vague. Or just lie.

You: "So I was in a round yesterday where I found an energy sword, and I wanted to make it rainbow-coloured. How do I do that for future?"
Someone else: "Multitool it"
Another person: "multitool"
A third person: "emag ... wait no multitool"
A fourth person: "eswords r dum just use a circular saw"
A fifth person: "BUT they do like way more damage and have a higher knockdown chance"

Don't do:
You: "Hey so how do I make my esword rainbow?"
Someone else: "IC IN OOC"
A third person: "Multitool"
A fourth person: "IMMERSIONS also multitool"
A fifth person: "BAN BAN BAN"

By the way, the reason it got out was probably because the tesla generator was adjacent to the field generators. It has to be in the very centre of the containment, because when it's made, it jumps about a little bit before its location is set - and if it's too close to the barrier, it can jump over and outside. It's the same with a singularity going from size 1 (1x1) to size 2 (2x2) - if it's too close to the generator field, RIP everyone.
A helpful guide: http://i.imgur.com/l10cUWn.png
ishner
Byond Username: Ishner

Post by ishner » #157451

what i am unclear on is how to ask other players about a glitch.
glitches aren't supposed to happen IC.

also, the Tesla gen was in the very center.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #157456

Ask when the round is over, or go on the IRC and ask in #coderbus when the round is over. Either way, don't talk about anything in the current round in OOC.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #157489

It's really the easiest rule to follow.

If it has anything to do with the current round, DON'T SAY IT IN OOC.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #157506

Also fake IC in OOC is no bueno either amigop.
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #157530

ishner wrote:what i am unclear on is how to ask other players about a glitch.

If you think something isnt working as intended and you want to check, use adminhelp and ask an admin to look into it for you.
Mime: Depresso
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #157582

invisty wrote:
ishner wrote:what i am unclear on is how to ask other players about a glitch.

If you think something isnt working as intended and you want to check, use adminhelp and ask an admin to look into it for you.
A thousand times this
Seriously
PSA to everyone
If you're unsure about something just adminhelp it. This saves dozens of headaches for all parties involved.
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #157712

To be fair, they did adminhelp, and I said I had no idea what happened because I wasn't watching the tesla setup and I haven't really played engineer much since it was added (and the wiki page is not very helpful about the tesla, I should know, I wrote the damn thing).

Still not an excuse to IC in OOC.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #158279

You can also pop into #coderbus during a round and send a PM to any maintainer (half-ops or higher) about it. We're equipped to help deal with problems like that, and we're trusted not to do anything wrong with IC info.
Players can and will create their own fun.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #158321

IC OOC is overpoliced and stupid.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #158327

ShadowDimentio wrote:IC OOC is overpoliced and stupid.
Or, you know. People can actually read the rules, not IC in OOC, and not get banned.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #158334

ShadowDimentio wrote:I'm stupid.
Yep
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #158353

Also: never directly mention something happened in this particular round.

If you want to ask something don't say "how did the tesla escape just now", ask "can a tesla escape a properly set up field" or something.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #158371

The admins will still ban you for that.

Literally mention anything pertaining to the game and the admins will ban you for it because MUH IC OOC HARDLINE

Experience: Like 15 IC OOC bans that were all minor at worse
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #158441

ShadowDimentio wrote:The admins will still ban you for that.

Literally mention anything pertaining to the game and the admins will ban you for it because MUH IC OOC HARDLINE

Experience: Like 15 IC OOC bans that were all minor at worse
is this like your ai ban for breaking ai rules then saying you don't like the rule and don't intend to follow it

you're such a martyr getting banned to save us from our sins
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #158447

I'm the hero the server deserves
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #158452

ShadowDimentio wrote:I'm the hero the server deserves
eh
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝