Content abuse/metagame/powergame

J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Content abuse/metagame/powergame

Post by J_Madison » #170547

What is the policy on abuse of content that effectively change the metagame.
This things are either new or unknown until someone begins to abuse it to the point that others experience of the content is removed.

Take examples of virology and away missions. Even weeks after away missions were enabled, nobody did away missions and nobody did virology. Until I started doing it, in which it became a metagame to the point gateways are completely disabled and virology was nerfed heavily.

Same with telescience, and chemistry. Previously fun departments watered down or removed due to individuals.

In most cases this isn't a content issue but a player issue. How do we deal with players that endlessly remove others fun by abusing gameplay mechanics to the limit until the content is removed or watered down. A majority of players must not be punished for the actions of a minority. This has even coined an idea in coderbus called "any other playerbase" symbolising content that will not be added to SS13 simply because of player issues on tgstation.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Content abuse/metagame/powergame

Post by Zilenan91 » #170549

Most people who do this aren't well liked or are already permabanned so we already police this unconsciously in a social way.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #170573

Jmad

You are

The only one

Who cares about this
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #170584

I don't think that's true, j_mad does have a point (one that's been brought up many times) in regards to feature that are strong and fun being watered down or removed because people consistently use them to gain a big advantage over other players.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #170588

nearly impossible to enforce adn will just cause drama
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #170607

PKPenguin321 wrote:nearly impossible to enforce adn will just cause drama
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #170637

Just remove the fun. That will show 'em.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #170670

I never really liked the idea of an exclusive group of players that create a secret metaclique restricting content awareness to others.
The right to enjoy SS13 content should not be a privilege.

I'm aware many plays have been banned for extreme abuse of content. It's hard to police because it's ridiculous to balance based around how an individual can powergame.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #170678

J_Madison wrote:I never really liked the idea of an exclusive group of players that create a secret metaclique restricting content awareness to others.
The right to enjoy SS13 content should not be a privilege.
Are you retarded

There isn't some conspiracy of players huddling in a darkly lit IRC channel conspiring to horde knowledge and use it to powergame against everyone

Jesus christ man
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #170679

TechnoAlchemist wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:nearly impossible to enforce adn will just cause drama
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #170681

When someone abuses something and people want it nerfed we really need to take a step back and think: Is the feature actually overpowered? Or is Urist McOP being annoying with it? If it's the latter, ask Urist to tone it down. If it's the former then think about nerfing it. It definitely is a little annoying that Viro could spread a healing/stimulant virus like 10 minutes in. Not only for antags but also for Sec when shitters start grey tiding and they can't taser them. I'm not sure what the real issue is with that, if it's the fact you can get it 10 minutes in, or how easy it is to get to virtually every player on the station in another 10 minutes.
--Crocodillo

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #170682

Yeah. Saying "Virology wasn't OP players were just abusing it!!" is fucking retarded Jmad. Having every player on the server running around at mach speed was awful for both antags and sec. It wasn't missed when it was nerfed.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #170684

I've had issues with this as well tbh.
The problem with banning these players is it literally boils down to it basically banning people for being too good at their jobs.
The real issue kinda boils down to us not really having much, if anything that's actually hard to get. The gated stuff is really just gated behind rng or tedium.
Away missions had the problem of failing at their intended purpose of an endgame due to being able to just use the loot you got in the mission or from the enemies to complete it solo, rather than requiring the station to gear up with rnd gear and assault it with a team. They weren't hard at all once you knew the maps.
I think lavaland is probably the best example of well made, actually difficult gating content for loot. The rng aspect of it also prevents people from simply memorizing loot location and layout like they did with away missions.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #170723

people get exceedingly good at one job then they do that job because they're good at it.
utternewbie could get hulk in 5 minutes in and would wear a biosuit.
i would hand out all powers 15 minutes in when injectors were 100% chance.
daisy holmes is literally the plant goddess.
mekhi would powergame rd so hard there would be high tier shit littering the floor.
shit, even in virology me and many others have made maximum powergame viruses.

it'll always happen. change the content if it annoys you.
I play Boris Pepper.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #170767

Away Missions didn't fail as a concept they failed because the missions sucked ass. Wizard Academy and to some extent Snowdin were the only ones we should've kept.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #170800

I changed the content alright.

Virology was never a problem even before the nerf until one player decided to flood round after round of it until players did not like it anymore. That's the difference.

I've asked players to tone it down, and it's become a player and IC issue which is easily handled by treating them differently.

This isn't the point though, the idea that content is at fault when it's the player is clearly flawed.

I for one enjoyed away missions and even though I was able to complete them easily, I never did anything to impact the round. It really was the straw that broke the camels back when people flooded the gateway and NukeOps got killed by c20rs. That's well and truly ridiculous.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #170839

BEFORE JMAD'S FUCKING WITH VIROLOGY

>Viro took half an hour to be done
>Regen was helpful but not godlike
>Stimulant didn't make you an unstunable sanic beast

AFTER JMAD'S FUCKING WITH VIROLOGY

>Viro took ten minutes
>Regen was godlike
>Stimulant made you an unstunable sanic beast

Clearly balanced content was just abused into the ground by the evil players guais
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #170889

Zilenan91 wrote:Away Missions didn't fail as a concept they failed because the missions sucked ass. Wizard Academy and to some extent Snowdin were the only ones we should've kept.
Wizard was shitty because it kept spawning wizards, over and over, infinitely, even when it depressurised after five seconds of NPC fireballs.

Snowdin was a loot bonanza.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #170897

All the away missions were loot pinatas if you knew how to do them, except Wiz Cad mostly.

I did like Snowdin because I could play SnowOp and collect all the loot first and force the station to fite me if they wanted to get some of it

The other big problems with away missions was that the timer was too short and having the portal open up 20 minutes in usually ended up with some players looting the thing and completely unbalancing a round. I traded my antag token in for Blob and was winning up until a couple people got laser cannons from away missions and killed my core before I even realized it was actually under attack.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #170900

So explain to me this, how is being good at a job like virology and making robust viruses every round abuse if I'm taking this in correctly?

Virology is all I usually play, or MD/Chem, and yes there are bad virologists who can make a somewhat good disease and spread it out like the shits they are, but what's your opinion on the players, such as myself, who actually don't do that, hell all I ever do with my diseases is spread it to 2 groups of people:
Captain/Trusted heads
Security
Also including myself so that makes 3.

Can someone verify what would be seen as abuse, power, or metagame about that so I can avoid trouble?
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #170901

That's perfectly fine, since it doesn't massively affect others game.

There was one player that figured out how to do virology, and every round of a whole week he left a sneezing monkey with ridiculous symptoms. That netted him a rule 0 ban when he said in OOC about how he absolutely disregarded other players experience of SS13 to powergame.

Remember away missions and how a small handful of who people would do them, every week or so?

That was in moderation during slow rounds, but it really broke when nuke, blob, and rev rounds were literally decided by someone rushing the away mission. Two weeks of that sealed the coffin on away missions.
Fun things get patched very quickly, especially when everyone copies the small handful of people that innovate and discover content.

ShadowDimentio wrote:BEFORE JMAD'S FUCKING WITH VIROLOGY

>Viro took half an hour to be done
>Regen was helpful but not godlike
>Stimulant didn't make you an unstunable sanic beast

AFTER JMAD'S FUCKING WITH VIROLOGY

>Viro took ten minutes
>Regen was godlike
>Stimulant made you an unstunable sanic beast

Clearly balanced content was just abused into the ground by the evil players guais
You don't know anything about what I did;
Viro times didn't change. The RNG changed but times did not change. I've extensively timed this with the coders. The times did not change beyond an acceptable level. The deviation between the different times did not change either.

I did not change toxic filter or toxic compensation at all prior to my rebalance. The only reason it healed faster was because my formulas changed and people copied them.

Nor did I touch stimulants or ephedrine.

Project harder, you don't know shit about what I changed or did. Anyone can look at pull history to find I didn't change a thing.