Greytiders vs. Security

lordmummie
Byond Username: Lordmummie

Greytiders vs. Security

Post by lordmummie » #210338

Before I start the actual topic I want to give some information first: I pretty much always play under the name Peter Thompson and am either security or engineering 90% of the time. Today I got jobbanned from security by Chaps. This post is in no way meant as an attack on Chaps, the way he handeld it or anything or anyone else. This topic is meant to discuss the issue there lies in the greytiders. That being said we can move on to the actual topic:

To demonstrate the issue I would like to describe a regular round start as a security officer. You begin by geari-"GENERIC GREYSHIRT BREAKING INTO TECH STORAGE"-you quickly drop whatever you're holding, grab a taser, lock the locker and run off to tech storage. You taze the the greyshirt, drag him off to brig start removing his gear in the locker, tie him to the be-
GREYSHIRT HITS THE REINFORCED WINDOW WITH THE WELDING TOOL

You bucklecuff the guy you just arrested, go out to arrest the other greyshirt aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's gone.

To be honest this amount of fuckery happens only once in so many rounds but I can guarantee you that 90% of the med to high pop rounds starts off with some greyshirt breaking into stuff within 5 minutes. Because of this I started handing out verry harsh sentences to people who did this (5 to 10 minutes depending on what they were doing. This used to be fine untill someone actually felt like they were wronged and ahelped it. As it would turn out it isn't acceptable to give greytiders these severe punishments. And this is where my problem lies: it is for some reason fully allowed to just pick assisstant and do nothing but being a shithead for the whole round but unacceptable to give those guys who aren't contributing anything to the station, actually making it worse, a severe punishment. This seems utterly ridiculous to me.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Greytiders vs. Security

Post by InsaneHyena » #210339

Kor said that if a greyshirt starts calling to his greytide brothers, demands AI to bolt depower everything and otherwise be "SECURITY KILLING ME", he's valid to execute. So there's that.
s th
Bring back papercult.

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #210340

2016-09-10 14:41:04
shaps
Sybil
As HoS, brigged a guy for 5 minutes for shooting laser tag beams at him, then upped it to 10 minutes when they complained. Argued that he should be given a pass since he plays HoS constantly and is tired of greytiding, was told to stop playing sec so much if he can't handle small shenanigans without ruining other peoples fun

If this is what you consider greytiding no wonder you're stressed out.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #210341

> Not stripping backpacks, toolbelts and emptying pockets when brigging someone and putting it in the cell's locker.

No wonder you can't efficiently deal with them.

Personally, I might be a bit infamous for using the gulag fairly liberally, but that's what you're best off doing. Even 300 points for breaking a window is sufficient. If they don't try to work at all and simply suicide, problem solves itself. If they spend their time actively contributing to something meaningful, maybe they'll return with a better mindset.

It's stressful, and some regular greytiders should've been assistant banned already (*cough*Akarani*cough*), but it works for ridding the station of trash.
Last edited by Slignerd on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #210342

Crimes should be taken as an escalation of an individual, not a group. Urist McGreyshit breaking a window has no bearing on alph McGreyshit stealing a needle. If you brig a guy for five minutes for breaking a window because another guy keeps doing it then you're being a dick.
Yes Security is stressful and greys are irritatingly shit 99% of the time,but there is still another player at the end of the connection that you are punishing heavily for the actions of someone unrelated.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #210344

Sligneris wrote:> Not stripping backpacks, toolbelts and emptying pockets when brigging someone and putting it in the cell's locker.

No wonder you can't efficiently deal with them.
I think he meant a second assistant ran up and started hitting the window.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210349

Oh, the dumbfuck "Viva!! Shitcurity!! Comdoms!!" crowds?

Personally, I wish we were able to go lethal on people acting like this, especially if they keep it up regularly. Obviously we can't, but it's super frustrating when we see people like this actively break random windows and throw spears at people.
lordmummie

Post by lordmummie » #210368

Kor wrote:2016-09-10 14:41:04
shaps
Sybil
As HoS, brigged a guy for 5 minutes for shooting laser tag beams at him, then upped it to 10 minutes when they complained. Argued that he should be given a pass since he plays HoS constantly and is tired of greytiding, was told to stop playing sec so much if he can't handle small shenanigans without ruining other peoples fun

If this is what you consider greytiding no wonder you're stressed out.
I feel like this note lacks the details that caused the situation but that's another problem (I never wanted a pass for what I did since I was and still am 100% convinced I was correct there). I'm talking about the mentality of hey imma pick assisstant and just head over to sec and be an ass for the rest of the round.
Yes there is a player on the other side but the same goes for them. We don't select security because we wanna play greytide defense 2016; we want to be security. Honestly the ruining of rounds upon rounds is way worse than having to alt tab for 5 minutes and doing something else.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #210416

Your mistake is in thinking that "anything that is even slightly antagonistic is bad", when the reality is that greytiding is a very intangible thing. In this case, yes, laser tag spam is super annoying, but it's not worth tossing someone in for ten minutes over. Why some people feel compelled to do this is beyond me. I'm a fan of stunning them and taking it away if they're being obnoxious with it.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #210473

Some people take this game way too seriously, have fun for once
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #210476

It's strange to me. On one hand greytiders are pieces of shit and I treat them very harshly as HoS, but on the other I think I would actually miss them if they were gone.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #210554

Why not just taze, beat him a bit with the laser tag gun, then toss the laser tag gun out the airlock.

Then when he comes back for 'revenge' you have an excuse to put him down for good.
lordmummie

Post by lordmummie » #210566

Sidon wrote:Some people take this game way too seriously, have fun for once
I enjoy the harmless jokes like a clown suddenly slipping you on a bannana, because it's his job. I enjoy the engineer who made a disposals loop and lures me into it, because it requires work and is rather original. I don't enjoy the same joke every single shift. When I litterally do not get the time to announce that any form of greytiding gets severe punishment because of some greyshirt already running around in brig. Those type of people just gets a straight 5 minutes.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #210568

dealing with grey ride can be a very grey area
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #210583

Gulag and Greytide both start with g....

I think you know what to do.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #210585

Greytide and grave also both start with g.
Bring back papercult.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #210586

Security and shit start with the same thing
So does captain with comdom
Also librarian/lawyer with loser
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #210595

Where's the lie?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #210596

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Gulag and Greytide both start with g....

Except apparently normal officers don't have access to telegulag console anymore.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #210597

Lumbermancer wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Gulag and Greytide both start with g....

Except apparently normal officers don't have access to telegulag console anymore.
Yeah they don't, I thought we'd still be able to manually gulag people but sadly the console that sets the points is integrated with the teleporter, so gulaging as anyone besides warden/hos/captain is impossible if you want to set a timer.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #210633

That's retarded. Needs to be fixed ASAP.
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #210655

It's either that, or limited uses boys.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #210657

PKPenguin321 wrote:Security and shit start with the same thing
So does captain with comdom
Also librarian/lawyer with loser
admin - aspergers

it all makes sense now
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #210675

Luke Cox wrote:That's retarded. Needs to be fixed ASAP.
no, kor specifically made it so gulagging has to go through the warden
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #210681

I think you were looking for the policy subforum and got lost
lordmummie

Post by lordmummie » #210777

oranges wrote:I think you were looking for the policy subforum and got lost
Apperently so, my appologies.

Anyway thread derailed to why no gulag. Guess I'll just be greytiding the next months untill someone realizes how annoying it is.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #210787

Sidon wrote:It's either that, or limited uses boys.
Well the original idea was indeed to have limited number of telepods each becoming occupied as person is sent to gulag, specifically to make sec not use it to solve all their problems and grudges.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #210834

How to deal with greytiders and imprisoning in general.
1Make sure they're pinned down into the bed.
2.Take their headsets and anything they can use to contact the ai or other greytiders
3.Give them a good ammount of time, based on their crime, or gulag or execute if needed.
4.If all else fails, kill the camera to shut up the ai.
5.If someone tries to free them, imprison the rescuer as well.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #210836

Reyn wrote: 2.Take their headsets and anything they can use to contact the ai or other greytiders
Protip: This is super shitty, don't do it unless they're actively being a shitheel.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #210841

You guys are missing the reason we don't let greytide off easy

Slap on the wrist translates to "I CAN VALID THAT OFFICER FOR TRYING TO ARREST ME" to greytiders.

Act shit, get treated like shit. If I'm getting a lot of people doing the same bullshit, I up the punishment for EVERYONE who does it, so people stop fucking doing it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #210846

Slap on the wrist translates to "I CAN VALID THAT OFFICER FOR TRYING TO ARREST ME" to greytiders.
But then they get banned?
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #210848

Not always. I remember numerous cases, where greytiders waging outright war against security got away with slaps on the wrist. Tee Fury is a good example.
Bring back papercult.

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #210850

ComradeQue has 74 bans (blanket head/sec bans count like 5 times each) on record so he wasn't exactly left alone by admins.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #210852

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
Reyn wrote: 2.Take their headsets and anything they can use to contact the ai or other greytiders
Protip: This is super shitty, don't do it unless they're actively being a shitheel.
By "Shitheel",you mean fucking over the round, right
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #210878

Kor wrote:
But tiders can fight back with lethal force because if security catches them there's a 'good' chance they'll be executed. Right, Kor?
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #210883

Malkevin wrote:
Kor wrote:
But tiders can fight back with lethal force because if security catches them there's a 'good' chance they'll be executed. Right, Kor?
15th law of power; Crush your enemy totally.
21th law of power; Play a sucker to catch a sucker - Seem dumber than your mark.

Generally speaking, you should completely crush a repeat greytider.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #210886

Malkevin wrote:
Kor wrote:
>Have connected once in two and a half months
>complaining about sos era rules in 2012-2013

Nice
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #210921

Actually I'm posting a thing you said not too long ago, in a thread about some guy that killed an officer because they'd been such a turd they'd probably end up dead or in perma.

Fuck, in the SoS era security had admin protection.
They had a fuck ton of scrutiny too but atleast you know if a grey tiding shit stun cuffed you and threw you out the airlock they would be banned.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #210930

Malkevin wrote:Actually I'm posting a thing you said not too long ago, in a thread about some guy that killed an officer because they'd been such a turd they'd probably end up dead or in perma.
I don't remember the context but I am pretty sure I never said "you can killbait security!"

>Fuck, in the SoS era security had admin protection.

Nevermind I'm being baited by someone who doesn't even play
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210932

I'm sure that the one time when I threw an officer out of an airlock after he decided to constantly hunt me down despite the fact I kept asking him to give it up and let me do my job, I got banned for it.

So, I'm sure that hasn't really changed. You should feel safe when it comes down to that. :shades:
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #210970

FUCKING SUNGLASSES REEEEEEE
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #210971

:shades: :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #210980

Sounds like a problem with said players play style rather then my precious tide.