[Cheridan] Steelpoint Github Ban

Appeals which have been closed.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

[Cheridan] Steelpoint Github Ban

Post by Steelpoint » #105772

I know this is unusual, nor do I expect this appeal to have any affct, but I have absolutely no recourse as I cannot appeal on the #coderbus IRC due to being banned from it nor can I do the same on Github due to being banned from that.

I also know this falls outside the jurisdiction of the administration, but I still nonetheless wish to have somewhere to express my desire for a unban as there is no where else to fall back to.

-----

Byond account and character name: Steelpoint, Alan Bentway
Banning admin: Cheridan
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Permanent
Ban reason and length: N/A
Time ban was placed (including time zone): Around July 20th

Your side of the story: As is no secret there's been a lot of controversy on github recently. I've been idling on the #coderbus IRC for a while engaging in converstations and debate with other coder contributors about these changes.

At some point Cheridan joins the IRC, after a while I contact him in the IRC hoping to engage in a proper discussion about recent events along with other coders. Upon doing so he clearly states how my code changes should go straight to hell, logs in as a admin and bans me from IRC. Not long afterwards a ban is lodged with github and now I am banned from github, being unable to even make a comment or edit my posts for my still unmerged PR's.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I have broken no seemingly placed rules that coderbus uses, my only crime is that I am expressing my opinion on a controversial subject and that the person in charge, Cheridan, decides to silence my opinion by banning me to ensure I cannot voice my opinion.

This is a unfair ban in all respects, not to mention that worse people than me have gotten away with very despicable acts and never received a ban.
Steelpoint
Github User

Re: [Cheridan] Steelpoint Github Ban

Post by Steelpoint » #105777

Here's a screencap of the IRC moments before I was banned for some evidence, if any, of the banning. The blackline represents where the relevant content is.

Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #105796

Not sure how much this falls under the An0n3 amendment, but here's my entire IRC log from that day, so you can see what happened afterwards. Ban happens at [18:16.01], for searching purposes.
Attachments
#coderbus-2015-07-19.log
(93.93 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #105824

there's no point
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105853

oranges wrote:there's no point
Despite everything that's happened to me and the poor treatment from Cheridan I still wish to contribute to the game, while disagreement's are inevitable I do think a outright ban was overly harsh.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #105854

We could always deadmin cheridan until he unbans you.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105857

Tsaricide wrote:We could always deadmin cheridan until he unbans you.
That would be amusing though there's no precedent in this situation.

I would hope Cheridan dignifies this ban with a proper response however. Otherwise this is just being immature.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #105889

Unban he.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #105903

This whole sad trite DINDU NUFFIN ban appeal is an extension of the little political games that I got tired of and banned you for in the first place. You don't like something so you potstir, insult people, and use tired arguments that make you sound good have no foundation in reality, all so you can make more biased PRs to buff your favorite job.

Appeal denied, try again in a few months when maybe you'll be ready to apologize and work as a team member instead of a pain in the ass.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105907

The only reason I was banned was because I disagreed with you, if the situation was inverted and I was praising your actions instead of criticising them I would never have been banned. That's a unacceptable reason to ban anyone and if this action was done in game, for example, that ban would have been overturned very fast.

You claim I'm not a team player or are unwilling to communicate yet I go out of my way to garner feedback in game, on the forums and on github. I listen to people, take in their feedback and mold my changes accordingly. I even went onto the IRC to talk with and work with other people. I'm doing exactly what your preaching and yet it amounts to nothing because the fundamental reason I was banned was because I disagreed with you.

What I've done on git is no different, or even worse, than what you and many other people do.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #105908

[18:15.15] <Steelpoint> Cheridan have you stopped to think that maybe when you have a lot of experienced and veteran players opposing the nerfs that maybe you might be taking this the wrong direction?

I'd like to agree with this point, in regards to the strength of the HoS armor and the TC as a quick fix.
The rest can go, the flashbang hiding, and other sec dickery.

That being said, where was this attitude when paprika was ramming his dick into the code and his shit was being merged left and right? Get consistent or get wrecked. I am not active enough on github, or on coderbus to comment on whether or not he's stirring the pot, and I'm not overly fond of either of you, so have at it, you deserve eachother.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #105916

It wasn't Falamazeer, but it should have been.

I think Steelpoint should be unbanned and given a chance to make ammends.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #105917

Falamazeer wrote: That being said, where was this attitude when paprika was ramming his dick into the code and his shit was being merged left and right? Get consistent or get wrecked. I am not active enough on github, or on coderbus to comment on whether or not he's stirring the pot, and I'm not overly fond of either of you, so have at it, you deserve eachother.
Well it obviously didn't work out for Pap either as they're still banned from github and a fair few of their PR's were reverted.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #105919

Not sure if this is relevant or not but why is the banning admin in control if he's unbanned or not.. Shouldn't this be up to a HA? The guy who banned steelpoint obviously was in a point of rage and is making decisions based on personal feelings and not whats best for the server.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #105922

Well, headcoders are in charge of the codebase. This is a ban from the codebase.

The other headcoder is HG. :^)
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #105924

No, Cheridan is the sole head coder now. HG was fired for inactivity.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #105925

Ah it'd be easier to know that if it said he was HC under his avatar. My bad lads
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #105932

Falamazeer wrote: That being said, where was this attitude when paprika was ramming his dick into the code and his shit was being merged left and right? Get consistent or get wrecked.
The dynamic changed with Paprika. While my philosophy was to let problems sort themselves out, people demanded that I be more proactive in stopping problem coders, before they get out of control. This is me being consistent.
Steelpoint wrote:The only reason I was banned was because I disagreed with you, if the situation was inverted and I was praising your actions instead of criticising them I would never have been banned. That's a unacceptable reason to ban anyone and if this action was done in game, for example, that ban would have been overturned very fast.
This is completely untrue. Instead of arguing your point based on the PR itself you attacked me, called me a hypocrite, and played political cards in an attempt to make me look bad. You're still doing it. Unfortunately for you, this isn't an in-game ban where you can rely on populist tactics and lawyer your way out.

Decision stands. Appeal denied, try again in a few months when maybe you'll be ready to apologize and work as a team member instead of a pain in the ass.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105933

Its hard for me to argue my point when I only get one sentence in before you ban me.

Not to mention I've been arguing my point in the PR and forums for quite a while.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105934

I went onto IRC intentionally to speak with you Cheridan, I pinged you and waited for you to respond. When you did I brought up the armour PR and you immidently respond that it should "go straight to hell". Then seeing how you start off aggressively I post my follow up on your approach to balance going against a lot of other people. You respond by banning me.

You should practice what you preach, and you can check the above posted IRC logs for proof of the above.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #105937

I've made my decision, a mod can lock this now.