[saegrimr] Banned for lizard racism & slipping

Appeals which have been closed.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Re: Banned for lizard racism & slipping

Post by Oldman Robustin » #124536

Bottom post of the previous page:

If you don't want to get accused of bias then talk through an event before banning someone.

I don't think I've ever been banned so abruptly, especially when this was hardly an open-shut case.

I wasn't providing you with a blanket justification for my behavior, I was explaining a mitigating factor... that my troublemaking was the only thing security was dealing with, with a fully staffed sec force, and thus some nonharmful slip n' steal greytiding and radio memes didn't fall into actionable behavior.

You took it as "Im allowed to do what I want when I'm bored" when I meant "Its really quiet on station, my activities were not overly disruptive". Maybe not being such a quick draw on the ban button would avoid misunderstandings.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [saegrimr] Banned for lizard racism & slipping

Post by peoplearestrange » #124605

I think this has become a back and forth between mainly two involved parties. Maybe its time for an unbiased headmin to rule on this. Its clearly not going to get anywhere with just Saeg and Oldman talk as they both CLEARLY think they are right and the other is wrong and refuse to see any middle ground.

I'd appreciate if everyone could stop posting unless its something particularly relevant and/or hasn't been mentioned before, until a headmin resolves this.
I'm avoiding locking however.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #124645

ok I had a quick look over it

First off, cherrypicking logs after the fact really isn't nice. Admins actively finding reasons to ban people, well. I can see how that would be taken badly. Keep in mind though, that there are legitimate circumstances where for whatever example, admins need to step in to make sure people don't get the wrong idea about being able to get away with things because people didn't complain when they did it once.

For the incident itself, I don't endorse rioting or anything siccing other players on others for no reason other than, I'm bored. I might not personally ban for it whenever it happens but it does make you very valid, if not for bans, then for badmin things that are very unsporting and ruin the instigators fun very quickly. In this case though, nobody really got hurt so I'm not sure why this ban even happened.

That being said, 'I'm bored' or 'the round is quiet' is not an excuse to actually grief someone or ever grief. I've banned and seen people banned for it, it's a horrid excuse.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #124649

imblyings wrote:ok I had a quick look over it

First off, cherrypicking logs after the fact really isn't nice. Admins actively finding reasons to ban people, well. I can see how that would be taken badly. Keep in mind though, that there are legitimate circumstances where for whatever example, admins need to step in to make sure people don't get the wrong idea about being able to get away with things because people didn't complain when they did it once.

For the incident itself, I don't endorse rioting or anything siccing other players on others for no reason other than, I'm bored. I might not personally ban for it whenever it happens but it does make you very valid, if not for bans, then for badmin things that are very unsporting and ruin the instigators fun very quickly. In this case though, nobody really got hurt so I'm not sure why this ban even happened.

That being said, 'I'm bored' or 'the round is quiet' is not an excuse to actually grief someone or ever grief. I've banned and seen people banned for it, it's a horrid excuse.
It's not really even griefing though, We've gone far too hardcore on what the definition of griefing is.

Starting some IC conflict is not griefing, hell half the time as Sec i'm almost hoping Cargonia will start.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #124651

I don't think I called it grief, if I did, I wouldn't have said I wasn't sure why a ban happened.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #124653

imblyings wrote:I don't think I called it grief, if I did, I wouldn't have said I wasn't sure why a ban happened.
Please could you stop deleting my fucking posts mod?

Especially when the headmin is replying to it? Thanks.

You did you said this
Unless I'm mistaken that implies what he did was grief?
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #124656

I'm deleting your posts because
Tornadium wrote:I think this needs to go into some kind of policy discussion around admin enforcement. Admins should never be actively TRYING to find reasons to ban someone.
is not relevant to the ban appeal! You are literally asking for policy discussion, which I believe you now have started.

I just want to say that because this is on two pages and has had a lot of people comment with useful information DOES NOT mean I can devolve into "Oh nows my chance to bring up how I feel about X". This is STILL a ban appeal for Oldman robusting.

Also I agree your last post was relevant, I have undeleted that post. Sorry for that.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #124659

I have to be aware of people taking posts in FNR to be precedents or rulings, so I sometimes need to re-state things, which is why 'I'm bored' or 'nothing is happening' is not an excuse was mentioned again.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #124750

Don't start shouting for riots FNR. This is on the same tier as shouting 'BORGS ROGUE' without knowing fuckall and just starting shit, which is also frowned severely upon along with attempts to curb. These stupid fucking 'gtfo lizards!' is precisely the same, except with sapient crew as the target rather than bound-by-law synths. I entirely agree with such a ban. If an admin is doing this shit too, then that should honestly go into ban request/ admin complain/ admin feedback threads where it belongs with said log evidence and claims.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #125004

Gamarr wrote:Don't start shouting for riots FNR. This is on the same tier as shouting 'BORGS ROGUE' without knowing fuckall and just starting shit, which is also frowned severely upon along with attempts to curb. These stupid fucking 'gtfo lizards!' is precisely the same, except with sapient crew as the target rather than bound-by-law synths. I entirely agree with such a ban. If an admin is doing this shit too, then that should honestly go into ban request/ admin complain/ admin feedback threads where it belongs with said log evidence and claims.
"BORGS ROGUE" is treated differently to inciting a riot, because it gets all the borgs killed 99% of the time, whereas ";gas teh liggers race war niw!!!" tends to end up with a few arrests and broken faces, like this one
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #125182

Can we lock this now? The ban is long over.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #125295

Gamarr wrote:Don't start shouting for riots FNR. This is on the same tier as shouting 'BORGS ROGUE' without knowing fuckall and just starting shit, which is also frowned severely upon along with attempts to curb. These stupid fucking 'gtfo lizards!' is precisely the same, except with sapient crew as the target rather than bound-by-law synths. I entirely agree with such a ban. If an admin is doing this shit too, then that should honestly go into ban request/ admin complain/ admin feedback threads where it belongs with said log evidence and claims.
Except it's not, this is the same all-star shit tier logic that makes the rules completely inconsistent.

BORGS ROGUE = A well-intending RD/Captain who's already knee-deep in shit and/or distracted runs in and blows the borgs because they don't have time to investigate. Rounds get ruined and even players who intend to do good get wrapped up in adminhelps and thus not only do the victims get their round ruined, but intermediaries get shit on too.

"FIRE THE LIZARDS FROM SECURITY!" = Not invoking violence, absolutely 0% chance of getting unintended participants ("WELL IF OLDMAN SAYS THE LIZARDS ARE TAKING OUR WOMEN THEN I HAVE TO BELIEVE HIM, I AM NOW COMPELLED TO START ATTACKING LIZARDS" - Nobody ever), and it's much easier to recover from being slipped or losing a baton than it is to collect an MMI and rebuild the borgs.

There's virtually NOTHING in common between these two categories except some nominal link that they both involve radio shitposting. Yet you act like its intuitive that these two areas have anything in common. This is how we get shitty inconsistencies in our rules and radio ends up being "Validhunters Live Stream" when absolutely no conflict is permitted outside of antagonism.
imblyings wrote:
I had to let out a deep sight when I got to this part. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse but people still seem to miss it.

What I told Saeg in my response was an attempt to explain why I didn't think my actions even ran afoul of the rules, not an excuse as to why rule-breaking behavior should be permitted. This is exactly the kind of misinterpretation that's going to happen when you are banning people as soon as possible without trying to get the full picture of what happened.

Going further though it's a completely ass-backwards way of enforcing rules when you ask "WHY DID YOU DO IT?" before even asking yourself "WAS A RULE EVEN BROKEN?"

Otherwise we need to start banning every roundstart push, punch, slip, insult, and virtually everything that happens in the HOP line, because virtually nobody is going to be able to justify the stupid shit they do in this game.

"WHY DID YOU PUT A BANANA IN THE HOP LINE?"
"I DUNNO I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUNNY"
"NOT GOOD ENOUGH, I NEEDED TO HEAR YOUR CHARACTER'S BACKSTORY AND HOW THEY SUFFERED FROM OCD-LIKE COMPULSIONS TO PLACE BANANA PEELS IN HIGHLY TRAFFICKED AREAS, ONE WEEK BAN!"

Justifications/excuses should be what takes you from bannable behavior back into tolerable behavior (well he hit me first...) not what takes you from acceptable behavior into bannable behavior, that's literally how the vast majority of civilization does its enforcement.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #125373

Oldman. X =/= Y though. Punching/slipping someone is not the same is trying to, or actually managing to, start a riot, or even a race riot. The latter is just the bad kind of greytiding which can already be punishable.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #125374

"FIRE THE LIZARDS FROM SECURITY!" = Not invoking violence, absolutely 0% chance of getting unintended participants
The fact that a security guard got tool boxed says otherwise. You start shit, you deal with the consequences of it whether or not you expected them.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #125381

Jacough wrote:
"FIRE THE LIZARDS FROM SECURITY!" = Not invoking violence, absolutely 0% chance of getting unintended participants
The fact that a security guard got tool boxed says otherwise. You start shit, you deal with the consequences of it whether or not you expected them.
Yea and I personally de-escalated that by dragging the officer towards the rest of security when it happened.

You don't ban the guys who put together a rage cage because one participant goes too far and starts killing his opponent once he's down. If there's one idiot who individually decides to take things too far, hold him accountable - not the radio memes that inspired him. Otherwise you're opening the door to a huge new category of bannable behavior, because personally I know I hear at least 5 messages a round that direct attention towards an individual with implications of violence.

When captain asks if anyone "can shut that clown up" and some greyshirt welds the clowns face off for funsies, are you really going to tell me that you want the captain banned in that scenario?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125386

He was held responsible. More seriously than you were, though partly due to his own unwillingness to explain himself.

Is it really so hard to understand that you shouldn't be calling out for blood if you don't want to be responsible for what happens afterwards?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #125391

Ban has expired. Resolving this.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box