[stickymayhem] 5 day ban over accident

Appeals which have been closed.
Pennwick

[stickymayhem] 5 day ban over accident

Post by Pennwick » #24734

Byond account and character name: Pennwick - Ivy Miller
Banning admin: stickymayhem
Ban reason and length: 5 day fullban - 12 day RD (I think it was supposed to be Sci in general.)
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2014-08-19 19:54:24 PM EST

Your side of the story: What happened was pretty simple. I'm trying to get a feel for toxins so I build a few bombs and test them out then save one for myself to detonate if the cult catches me. I spend a good long while trying to figure out voice analyzers and manage to finally set one up to the word 'love' and attach it as I scramble aboard the escape shuttle and strap myself in, planning to blow my bomb in the post round chaos. Suddenly -Mayan Steve [145.9] gibbers, "L-LUV-V C-CAN-N B-BLOOOOM-M!"- And my bomb goes off, 8 casualties. Looking back even if retard speech couldn't trigger bombs it was a very weak choice of word.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I feel the banning WAS warranted but I believe that the 5 days for what amounts to the accident of a first timer is excessive. I'm grateful that sticky lowered the terms from 8 down to 5 but it still seems to be a lot to me. I'm not really arguing a longer Science ban. It'll hurt but I can just play other jobs in the meantime and reflect on how I should be more careful with the words I choose for bomb triggers. I'm not saying unban me but if you can forgive me I would appreciate if it got reduced to 24 or 48 hours instead of 120.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [stickymayhem] 5 day ban over accident

Post by Stickymayhem » #24741

The 12 day jobban is, in effect, a 7 day jobban after the ban from the server expires and it applies to RD and Scientist, the two positions with access to toxins.

You did kill several people including many cultists who could have summoned nar sie on the shuttle, thus ruining any chance at all that they had of winning, so this was a fairly severe incident and I did knock three days off for it being a first offence. I'm happy to reduce the server ban to three days but the jobban will remain as is.

If you're alright with this then say so and I'll do it. If you'd like to pursue this further by taking it up with an admin then feel free to PM Deuryn or Hibbles about this, or ask on #adminbus
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #24845

This is in the same way similar to putting your bombs on the default frequency. If it blows up, it's still your damn fault.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #24858

Alex is correct on that front, which is why it's a shame we have to kill him for violating FNR forum rules.

... What? Why do you think incidences of that are down so much lately?

Anyhow, don't use bombs as self-defense weapons unless you're an antagonist. Ever. Period. It will hurt the uninvolved, it will disrupt the round, it will result in bad things.
RIP
Pennwick

Post by Pennwick » #24871

I'll take 3 days. That's more than fair and I was only requesting less because it was completely unintentional.

(Never ever Hibbles? My intention was only to use it if I had been talismaned and was in the process of being converted or sacrificed. Only in the most dire of circumstances where 'I'd rather be dead than Red'. If that is a frowned upon thing I guess I'll avoid thinking like that in the future.)
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #24872

Pennwick wrote:I'll take 3 days. That's more than fair and I was only requesting less because it was completely unintentional.

(Never ever Hibbles? My intention was only to use it if I had been talismaned and was in the process of being converted or sacrificed. Only in the most dire of circumstances where 'I'd rather be dead than Red'. If that is a frowned upon thing I guess I'll avoid thinking like that in the future.)
Deliberately detonating your bomb in your hypothetical situation would have netted you a longer ban. Bombs are literally never a self-defence option and should only be used to end the round or in other utterly dire consequences for the entire station, such as killing a wizard when such an action would end the round, or bombing a malf AI. Even then, you risk a ban if your legitimate attempt fails and claims innocent lives.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Pennwick

Post by Pennwick » #24876

Noted. I think I'm done then with my appeal then. I'll have to suck it up for three days and stay out of Sci for a while.