foobascoops

[stickymayhem] frogmorton strange bans

Post by foobascoops » #24737

Byond: Frogmorton
Character name: Byron Fitzgerald
Banned by stickymayhem (I believe)
Banned for releasing the singulo on a round, ban for 24 hours
Time ban placed: around 1:50 GMT, 20/8/14

This isn't particularly a ban appeal but I was really confused with how events unfolded with this - it's only a day and I don't mind waiting that out.

I was originally job banned from engineering and related jobs indefinitely until I could give an explanation on how to set one up - I felt this was reasonable and probably a good idea, I'm a new player and didn't understand exactly how the particle accel worked. I assumed (wrongly) that an engineer out in the singulo area in a hardsuit was setting up the containment field, and so after a short wait I turned on the accel. This engineer proved to be AFK or something as he did nothing - resulting in the aforementioned release. A job ban pending my correct explanation of how to do it was fair enough, and a good move.

So, I sent a PM to stickymayhem asking him (paraphrasing) "as I don't know how to set it up properly, where can I learn to? is the wiki a good resource?" I got no reply, but was immediately job banned for 24 hours without appeal - I was really confused why a previously fair ban had been raised for seemingly no reason.

Then, a few seconds later, the job ban turned into a full ban for the same length of time. I had no idea why I was being increasingly punished. The reason stated I had released the singulo 2 rounds in a row - this is also false, as I had only released the singulo in the second round. The first round the containment field had secured the singulo without problem.

The reason for this post is because my original penalty was fair and considered and helped me learn to become a better player - a penalty which was immediately stepped up not once but twice, for reasons unknown to me, and in addition for an offense which simply did not occur. I would much rather have my original penalty, a permanent job ban on engineering related jobs until I can correctly summarise safe setup of the singulo. Thanks for reading!!
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [stickymayhem] frogmorton strange bans

Post by Stickymayhem » #24739

It appears what happened is antonkr permabanned you during the conversation from all engineering positions. I missed this happening and banned you from them for 10080 minutes. The singularity you released killed the Chief Engineer, resulting in a 1440 minute serverban for random murder, which is standard.

As for the previous round where a similar incident occurred, you activated the singularity without fields and though it didn't grow it was still very close to being released.

[17:04:10]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Frogmorton/(Byron Fitzgerald): To avoid disaster you shouldn't turn the PA on until the field is actually up

We tend to give people the benefit of the doubt the first time but if they show no ability to change their behaviour punishment ramps up quickly.

You have a dayban for the murder and a permanent jobban from engineering positions until you fully understand how the engine works.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
foobascoops

Post by foobascoops » #24795

Was the CE the guy out in the singulo crucible in the hardsuit?

edit:

No reply but I'm gonna assume it was - you say it's a day for murder but I would argue it's more manslaughter. I didn't intend to kill anybody and the fact that the CHIEF ENGINEER was out in the crucible made me feel the situation was under control. Evidently he was AFK or something because he allowed himself to be sucked into something easily escapable as soon as it is evident the singulo was being formed - not to say I didn't mess up in starting up the accelerator, but I never intended to kill him, and in fact that the most experienced engineer on the ship is out there, I assumed (wrongly) that I was justified in starting it up, seeing as it was quite late in the round and power needed to be generated. I made sure the radiation things were on also, so why would I bother turning on the shielding if I intended to murder somebody? I was in a radiation proof hardsuit, so I didn't need the protection. I find it kind of unfair that it's considered murder which is a willful killing; something I genuinely did not aim for.

I feel like you're fishing for the murder ban here, especially as you are a trial admin and maybe feel you need to prove your worth, no offense intended. But this was an issue of my own incompetence, not a malicious or unfriendly intent, and as I have said, I feel like the job ban pending my understanding of the machines is perfectly suitable. I protest that no murder was committed by me.
Last edited by foobascoops on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #24826

foobascoops wrote:Was the CE the guy out in the singulo crucible in the hardsuit?
No he was out setting up the emitters when the singularity sucked him away and ate him.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
foobascoops

Post by foobascoops » #24829

Haha good timing there lol.

But basically what I just said is what I feel to be true. The only other hardsuit was (admittedly by word of mouth) known to have been taken by the CE, as he had not taken his own special hardsuit, as me and another engineer had to get into his office to get at it with help from a sec officer. I saw him out in the crucible setting them up as you describe and as I say I felt within my depth to speed up the setting up as it was so late and we had the chief engineer helping us. In my defence I did not think things would go wrong, and in addition, upon realizing my mistake I did everything I could to try and rectify the situation (but sadly was eaten by the beast also!!)
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #24830

The CE was clothed in his own hardsuit when he was eaten by the singularity so there must be some confusion as I saw it take place. He was dragged into open space and sucked helplessly into the singularity as it drifted from the station.

Anyway you killed a guy by mistake but it was still a murder and still something you were warned about a round or two before this according to the logs so I'm going to let this ban stand.
foobascoops

Post by foobascoops » #24831

That was me in the CE's hardsuit. It's not very professional of you to accuse me of things when you don't even bother to check who is in the suits - I'm being penalized for assuming something wrongly, when you're doing the same.

I don't think you are handling this very well because I have been wrongly accused of not one but now two things. If you are going to take the task of adminning on a game then at least do it properly, like come on, seriously.

I'd like another admin to speak to or at least an apology or something because I don't feel I'm being considered correctly by you - I don't mind if the ban stands but I feel you're not doing a good job.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #24834

You're right, it appears I assume that you were the person in the regular hardsuit eaten by the singularity and the CE was the victim, but if you were in the CE hardsuit then the other person still died as a result of your actions. Two people were eaten and one was you.

The initial misconception didn't occur though. I'm sure this isn't malicious but it was certainly negligent. You were spoke to recently on the subject of releasing singularities and then the very next opportunity you make an even worse mistake than your first. Generally after speaking to someone you'd expect a player to improve rather than worsen. I never claimed this was a malicious act but you simply need to be more careful with the singularity. You killed an innocent person regardless of their status.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #24838

You were warned, it happened again, so things were escalated as the warning appeared to prove ineffective. I strongly recommend you pursue other areas of the game for a while when you get back.
RIP