[saegrimr] carcanken - proxy

Post by Carcanken » #303773

Byond account and character name: Carcanken - random or Gannon Bailey
Banning admin: Saegrimr
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Server
Ban reason and length: Proxy Permanent
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2016-02-22 00:30:26 CST
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Don't remember
Your side of the story: At the time, which was more than a year ago, I had a program named WTFast installed on my computer that acts as a proxy, rerouting your internet connection through different networks for a better internet connection. While we can spend time discussing the viability or how awful the program might be, it's probably the reason I was banned from the server. My internet at the time was having some trouble keeping up with BYOND and SS13 so mid round I decided to try out the program, not thinking much of it. After the fact I realized that it might change my IP and get me in some trouble for the exact reason I'm banned for, but at that point I was kind of done playing SS13 for the time being. Now I'm back and as it turns out I was banned for the program.
Why you think you should be unbanned: It was a stupid mistake and happened more than a year ago. I didn't have a chance to explain my side of the story to an admin but it's understandable that this kind of action was taken.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: [saegrimr] carcanken - proxy

Post by oranges » #303775

Yes rerouting my internet through proxies located in countries far away from me is definitely a good idea to make my internet faster because fuck physics lol
Carcanken
Byond Username: Carcanken

Post by Carcanken » #303779

Desperate times call for desperate measures such as that awful program ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .5mbps isn't humane.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #303885

you understand that rerouting through proxies literally can't give you a higher speed though right
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #303900

Not necessarily true, there are things like ISPs throttling your connection on certain sites/services but not proxies. Also sometimes a direct connection might be more congested and therefore slower than a roundabout VPN/proxy connection. Networking is a finicky thing.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #303901

it's really not
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #303907

It's definitely slightly more nuanced than "it's just physics lol".
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #303909

Yeah because their isp specifically throttling the connection to ss13 or having a routing issue that permanently affected the route that just so happened to be fixed by bouncing via a proxy that might not even be in the same country is much more likely than this person was just using a vpn network to evade bans and got caught
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #303910

WTFast is a VPN client made to solely redirect gaming traffic you're playing in an attempt to give you better latency. It has marginal effectiveness but ostensibly works really well for people connecting to servers that are overseas or otherwise really far away with a poor connection.

On-topic, Saegrimr is no longer an administrator here (RIP), so I'll take over and handle this. Just to be clear, the ban reason is both for Proxying as well as Multikeying. That being said, it's been a little over a year, and your reason for using a proxy seems legitimate as opposed to using it for ban evasion. I'm willing to lift the ban on one of your keys, provided you can tell me that you understand why we ban for that sort of thing, along with your assurance that it won't happen again, yeah?
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Carcanken
Byond Username: Carcanken

Post by Carcanken » #303918

Sweaterkittens wrote:WTFast is a VPN client made to solely redirect gaming traffic you're playing in an attempt to give you better latency. It has marginal effectiveness but ostensibly works really well for people connecting to servers that are overseas or otherwise really far away with a poor connection.

On-topic, Saegrimr is no longer an administrator here (RIP), so I'll take over and handle this. Just to be clear, the ban reason is both for Proxying as well as Multikeying. That being said, it's been a little over a year, and your reason for using a proxy seems legitimate as opposed to using it for ban evasion. I'm willing to lift the ban on one of your keys, provided you can tell me that you understand why we ban for that sort of thing, along with your assurance that it won't happen again, yeah?
Yeah. I understand why servers ban for proxies and multikeying - many people could just go nuts and repeatedly make new accounts so it's logical that servers would have harsh consequences if that kind of behavior is discovered. I've learned my lesson since then and can assure that it won't happen again as I've also found that I can enjoy the game without being an antagonist. Since then I have also been an game master on a server that is no longer up so I really can sympathize with you for the problems this can cause.

Off topic, I wouldn't recommend WTFast at all lol.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #303923

Okay, good deal my man, I have no problem lifting this. I'm not at home right now so one of our headmins is going to do it for me. I'll have it lifted on "Carcanken" and leave it on the other. I hope your connection issues get resolved, playing SS13 with terrible lag is awful. Happy hunting out there!
ImageImage
Spoiler: