Appeals which have been closed.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

[feem] noted for discovering an exploit

Post by BeeSting12 » #320184

Byond account and character name: BeeSting12/Edward Sloan
Banning admin: Feemjmeem
Ban type (What are you banned from?): None, note.
Ban reason and length:
2017-07-25 18:28:54 | Bagil | feemjmeem
Glitched his way to centcomm with no admins on, but DID explain how he did it once we asked him.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): See above.
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story: Recently I discovered an exploit to get onto centcomm using the protolathe and RND console, printing tracking beacons and then teleporting in. (never actually got there, just to the cargo shuttle while it was in transit, turns out you're deleted once you get to centcomm.) So this morning I was in the shower and then a genius idea came to me. I wondered if I could get to centcomm with a bluespace wormhole projector. Naturally I decided to test this. Upon getting onto the cargo shuttle and jumping out the first (or second time, I forget), I made a bug report, found here. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/29494

Anyways, at this point I decided to go to centcomm and explore for a while so I did what I detailed in one of the comments and got to centcomm and explored for a while. Dorsidwarf was actually online for the majority of the round, I think Thunder12345 was online. After dicking around for a while atlanta bwoinked me from IRC and had me explain it, which I did. Shortly after I explained it to him, feem did the same and slapped me with this note which is completely uncalled for seeing as I reported the bug through the proper channel before being bwoinked and I did not do it to grief- I did not touch the escape shuttle, cargo shuttle, any of the consoles that could interact with the station, besides the ferry which I used about 5 seconds from the emergency shuttle docking with the station to get back and escape on the shuttle.

The only shit I brought back was a cool outfit I found in a backroom and a flash since feem had been doing some admin fuckery with me earlier but he revived me, so I kept the flash in case he tried again to robust him for laughs. (I also made some mildly salty ahelps about the dickishness of the admin fuckery) I used the flash to robust a murderboner who attacked me on the shuttle. Could've found a flash anywhere, probably would've been carrying one on me, I just happened to have taken it from centcomm.

Why you think you should be unbanned: This sets a TERRIBLE precedent for noting people. If we're gonna note people for discovering exploits and not even griefing with them, we'd probably have half the server noted, some on repeat offenses. For example, a server-crashing exploit that Limski reported on github earlier- should she be banned/noted for discovering it? Anyway, I benignly found a bug, reported it, explained in greater detail to two admins, and I get noted for it. That does not seem right at all. Even if you're keeping the note, the no admins part is a lie since Dorsidwarf and Thunder12345 were on for the majority of the round and seemed to have left just before you got on.

edit: picture of the """"""""""grief"""""""""" i did
Spoiler:
Last edited by BeeSting12 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: [feem] noted for discovering an exploit

Post by Armhulen » #320187

I hate this note! Though I will say that this exploit was already reported, last I checked? I don't see it anymore, so.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #320188

Armhulen wrote:I hate this note! Though I will say that this exploit was already reported, last I checked? I don't see it anymore, so.
I don't believe it was already reported. You could be thinking of the one with the RND console and tracking beacons, that's the only other one I know about and it was fixed.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #320189

Don't see why we should note people for this if they didn't do anything malicious / to impact the round, and reported it. This will just discourage people from finding and actually reporting the exploits imo.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #320191

BeeSting12 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:I hate this note! Though I will say that this exploit was already reported, last I checked? I don't see it anymore, so.
I don't believe it was already reported. You could be thinking of the one with the RND console and tracking beacons, that's the only other one I know about and it was fixed.
Was that not this? In that case I'd lift this note MYSELF as we never punish FINDING exploits, we punish use of them after.

And basically what kev said. Can I pretty please lift this??
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #320194

Armhulen wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
Was that not this? In that case I'd lift this note MYSELF as we never punish FINDING exploits, we punish use of them after.
No, I used the portal gun from RND.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #320199

I'll remove it.

My reason for placing the note and for dicking with you is that you didn't notify anyone that you were going to try this beforehand and that you did it while no admins were on, which prompted, no joke, about 10 ahelps about you doing it which went to IRC instead of being handled in-game.

I appreciate your cooperation and your coming clean about the bug (and reporting it! I didn't immediately realize at the time that you'd opened an issue for it, and that's on me).
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #320200

feem wrote:I'll remove it.

My reason for placing the note and for dicking with you is that you didn't notify anyone that you were going to try this beforehand and that you did it while no admins were on, which prompted, no joke, about 10 ahelps about you doing it which went to IRC instead of being handled in-game.

I appreciate your cooperation and your coming clean about the bug (and reporting it! I didn't immediately realize at the time that you'd opened an issue for it, and that's on me).
It's cool dude. I was pretty much valid to admin fuckery on centcomm anyways, the note is what really got me since I'd reported it through all the proper channels.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #320201

Note's been removed. Game on!