Github Username: Jarektheraptor

[Togopol] Jarektheraptor - Appearance Ban

Post by Jarek » #409627

[Togopol] Jarektheraptor - appearance ban

Post Content:
Byond account and character name: Jarektheraptor - Loves-the-lizards
Banning admin: Togopol
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Appearance
Ban reason and length: Permanent - The reason is: Insisted on using a lizard name as a human after being told that his specific name wasn't allowed.

Reply PM from-JarekTheRaptor/(John Doe): I'm still going to use the name I choose because it is a legitimate name. Raised-by-lizards is a name of a player on bagil, they are allowed to use it. This name borrows from that idea.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 22:30 GMT + 0
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Sybil
Your side of the story: I have ran the name of loves-the-lizards on a human character for months now. No other admin aside from togopol has taken any form of problem to the fact that I have done this. My reasoning varies from round to round, But the reasoning that I've stuck with the most is that the person I am playing as is someone with an affiliation to lizardpeople, so much so that they've changed their name to fit the style of one. Hence the name. The banning admin in question seems to have assumed my name was from some sort of exploit, but I can prove it by screenshot if I'm asked to that this isn't the case.

Why you think you should be unbanned: In my honest opinion the name is fine. With someone, as I said, named raised-by-lizards on bagil, the lizard name on a human idea isn't out of the question. My name has a reason to exist - Maybe someone really does like lizardpeople so much they'd change their name to fit in like one, maybe even go further than that. On top of that plenty of admins have seen me use the exact same name.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Re: Appearance Ban

Post by Dax Dupont » #409632

Raised-by-lizards is no longer going to be allowed anymore either, thanks for pointing that out.

Just a fyi, this situation was discussed between togopal and other admins in the admin channels, everyone agreed with togopal's view on the situation. It's not "just togopal"
Jarek
Byond Username: JarekTheRaptor

Post by Jarek » #409636

Dax Dupont wrote:Raised-by-lizards is no longer going to be allowed anymore either, thanks for pointing that out.

Just a fyi, this situation was discussed between togopal and other admins in the admin channels, everyone agreed with togopal's view on the situation. It's not "just togopal"
My mistake.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #409641

I told you to make a policy discussion about this on the forums, to which you responded with " I'm still going to use the name I choose because it is a legitimate name. "

You do not decide what is and is not a legitimate name, and telling an admin you're going to disregard what they said in favor of your own thoughts will never end well for you

Jarek
Byond Username: JarekTheRaptor

Post by Jarek » #409642

Togopal wrote:I told you to make a policy discussion about this on the forums, to which you responded with " I'm still going to use the name I choose because it is a legitimate name. "

You do not decide what is and is not a legitimate name, and telling an admin you're going to disregard what they said in favor of your own thoughts will never end well for you
Policy discussions are dead ends and I've never see them go anywhere.

Regardless in hindsight, Yeah, Probably not the best choice. Mistakes were made
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #409643

We're never going to have a consistent name policy without having a valid reasoning for the exceptions. I can only imagine this has gone unnoticed so long since people probably thought you were a lizard ingame and didn't care to check to see you were human. Again, we go back to the previous problem in many of our threads that we cannot truly draw the line until we see the names that do not fit. This is one of those names.

Someone brought up a good argument regarding names being allowed as exceptions when they are funny and not overdone, but I can't really see that applying to anything other than Adopted-For-Tax-Reasons as of now.

Consider this something done to everyone, you are not the only person this is being done to.

This appeal for the specific name is denied, however: I will gladly remove your appearance ban if you would like to change your name. Any other headmin can post in this thread.

Edit: Also god no, policy threads will do absolutely nothing.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #409686

I disagree with Citrus on their ruling, so i'm bringing this back until jimm says their bit. I don't see why actually smart gimmick names like Raised-by-lizards have to die over the appeal. It's a pretty awesome gimmick name that the character plays off of. I really thought about it hard and while I still think your flimsy ass excuse that it so happens you use your "gimmick character" whenever you happen to roll a head only job, dedicated players should be able to keep their actually good names
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #409709

My personal feelings on this is that Raised-By-Lizards and Adopted-For-Tax-Reasons are ok because they give the indication that this was a human raised by lizards. They are mildly amusing, Adopted-For-Tax-Reasons being much better of the two tbh.

Loves-The-Lizards gives no indication of this and it's not really funny at all. You can play a human friendly with lizards without having a lizard name.

We can of course raise the appearance ban now that you realise this isn't acceptable.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #409710

Kay.

Summary judgment for anyone reading the thread in the future. Basically, the ruling is "Raised-By-Lizards and Adopted-For-Tax-Reasons are ok."
Loves-the-lizards is not.

Thread done.