Post by seraphim77 » #46106

[Seraph77] Kerouac rendarr- metacommunications
[promith] Pack rendarrr-metacommunications
[tyrvanden] frack rendarr-metacommunications
[reiknul] ak rendarr-metacommunications

saegrimr-banning admin
banned for metacommunications- permanent
2014-11-26-2:53 CST
As far as I know, im not really sure what is happening, because I was just trying to learn this game from my friends. I heard this was supposed to be fun(?)
We should be unbanned because I am brand new at this game, so, I don't really understand any of this. Im really not understanding why this is even occurring, so I don't really feel like being banned is reasonable. My friends were trying to teach me the game tonight for the first time, and we DID chat in game, so I feel like it is fair for me to have a learning curve, since im trying to learn the game.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: [saegrimr], kerouac rendarr, metacommunications

Post by Saegrimr » #46109

Alright so here's the deal. Metacomms is strictly forbidden, your friend TyrVanden should know this as he's been previously banned for this exact same thing. Why he didn't bother to express this to the group of you, and continued to act on it is beyond me.

The situation is the four of you all logged onto Basil with the same last names, and ~mysteriously~ stumbled upon eachother as one was being eaten by a changeling, with some of your ghosts hovering around the people involved, and all of you logging off as soon as I logged on because of an ahelp that came because of it.
I'm sure you can understand how sharing information like that OOC is a huge disadvantage to other players, and why its not allowed.

And because TyrVanden simply cannot be trusted with this anymore, the IP is going to remain banned. At least until I can talk with some headmins about this situation.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Reiknull

Post by Reiknull » #46114

I died early in the round and watched my body lay there after being absorbed by the Changeling most of the round. Also the only reason we logged off at the same time was crap internet and, if you can look back you'll see we simultaneously logged off multiple times earlier in the night due to the same issue. Thirdly I'd like it to be known that we're usually away at college and the only reason we're close is due to the holidays, so under normal circumstances it's impossible for us to be in the position of any sort of meta shinanigans. If you do deem us guilty of this offense please take that into consideration. I really enjoy this game, I'd like to keep playing it please.
Promith

Post by Promith » #46116

We are all friends who met in high school and now attend different universities. We just happened to be in town for Thanksgiving, and decided we would play space station 13 while together. While I understand this might matter little, it is still part of the situation at hand. In regards to us all logging off at the same time, while I'm sure it sounds ridiculous, TyrVanden's internet crashed. Which if it is possible to check the logs, you should be able to see happened to us multiple times throughout the night. If a name change would be required, in the case of the ban appeal being successful, I would be more than willing. We were attempting to role-play as brothers in order to give some amount of justification for our desire to play with and assist each other. We attempted to avoid meta-communication at all costs, and any knowledge that we did acquire we forced ourselves to try to ignore in order to maintain role-playing integrity. I hope this assisted in someway to provide our side of the story. As far as TyrVanden's past infractions, and why he happened to be going to security while I was being killed I'll leave for him to explain on his own time.

Edit: It seems Reiknull said much of the same before I managed to submit my own reply. I'll leave it as it is, sorry if it is now unnecessary.
Tyr Vanden

Post by Tyr Vanden » #46118

i was trying to find a place to hide the disk so that it would not be found after it had been given to me by the captain and i was setting up a brig fort so that i could defend security and start actually patrolling with officers, i really didnt mean to stumble mysteriously on to anything i was just trying to get accustomed to the new station layout that was giving me and everyone else a hard time since we are more used to playing on sybil. i understand i have been banned for this before but please understand that we started role playing as brothers so that we would not be banned for metacomms, and yes the internet at my house is really shit and causes lots of issues.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #46120

You ran in guns drawn, as far as i'm concerned you're done here unless a headmin wants to be more lenient. This also has the unfortunate side effect of putting an intense strain on your friends' ability to play here because you've abused this twice now.

As for the other three, i'll look into getting this worked out in some way. Problem is we're up 6 people in this group of friends now involved with TyrVanden who all seem to have the same problem of metacomms. Where does it end?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Promith

Post by Promith » #46152

Unfortunately it was likely Seraphim's last night, as well as his first. He is going to provide anything needed to continue the ban appeal, but, while it likely matters little, there will be one less Rendarr one would have to deal with. The last name thing was just something that was pitched to everyone in hopes of making things easier, but we should have realized before committing to the name what it would look like among other players. Once again, just trying to provide as much information as possible to help get this resolved. Regardless of the final decision, thanks for taking the time to hear us out.
seraphim77

Post by seraphim77 » #46198

Okay okay, here's my thing. I can get where this is all coming from now in regards to why this is going on because meta coming is obnoxious and destroys the RP quality of your game, tyrvanden has evidently done this before, which honestly isn't suprising to me, at all, and I get that you're kind of between a rock and a hard place here, so here's my request. Tyr Vanden, you called out as being a habitual offender for Metacom and meta gaming. I'm not doubting what you are saying, so here's MY little part in all this: the last names? He told us, that he had cleared this with admins under the guise that we COULD do this being in game brothers. As for my in game shit, the only thing I really remember is trying to figure out some chaplain stuff, leaving the chapel, seeing a dude get dragged away by another guy, seeing black rooms and blood, writing some sketchy letter asking for help or something, and after everyone else had pretty much been done in, figured I may as well suicide, which I guess constitutes Metacom? I dunno, so like promith said, I may not play again, but he and reiknurr are in no way interested in trying to Metacom or take advantage of the game at all. They like it, and it's a pretty cool concept, so I can see why, so I'm only asking, tyr has, through multiple infractions, I'm assuming reaping his reward, but those two are really only guilty because they are doing things that a more experienced player told them is okay and cleared by admins, so I don't believe that they deserve to be banned. As for myself, well, i would rather if anything that those two are unbanned. They care about the game, and they legitimately aren't trying to abuse the system.
Tyr Vanden

Post by Tyr Vanden » #46223

i agree with seraphim on this, if anything it is my fault because i assumed that us using the name rendar would still hold up like in did in sybil, if the main issue is that you are judging them off my past infractions then please make this a appeal or judgment directed at me not my friends, we all enjoy this game, but they acted off what i told them so the blame does lay with me not them. i do enjoy this game and made it a habit to always do better than when you first banned me, so all im asking is unban them at least you seem like a very reasonable person and so if this is going to be my last time playing on tg station id prefer knowing that my friends can keep on playing. you guys have a great thing going on here and i do still want to be apart of it, but i understand that the actions i have taken in the past do have consequences so i am alright with taking a hiatus(permanent or otherwise) is necessary, just spare my friends
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #46306

Alright, need one of you to send me a PM on the forums or hop on IRC #banbus on rizon.net, whichever.

Got some location related questions so I can figure out just how many people are gonna be fucked over by an IP ban and to see about getting the three of you off of it.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #46329

After getting some extra information on IRC from Promith, i've lifted the bans on Seraphim77, Reiknull, and Promith under the agreement they keep all further interactions strictly IC. TyrVanden will remain banned.
Tyr Vanden

Post by Tyr Vanden » #46356

Thank you