[Bobbahbrown] Zybwivcz - Head role ban for launching shuttle early-ish

Appeals which have been closed.
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

[Bobbahbrown] Zybwivcz - Head role ban for launching shuttle early-ish

Post by Zybwivcz » #491718

Byond account and character name: Zybwivcz - Some random name I can't look up because the logs aren't working but I was HoS
Banning admin: Bobbahbrown
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Head roles, 1440 minutes
Ban reason and length: The player emagged the emergency shuttle as the Head of Security on round 107376, when asked for reasoning stated "...because the shuttle seemed to have most of the people it was going to and I know it's a traitor round so I didn't want to wait for a BoH or syndie bomb". As a player with this much playtime, they should know better than to emag the shuttle for little reason as command staff.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2019-05-01 15:22:07
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil

It was a rather chaotic traitor round, I had an emag off a dead traitor, as HoS I emagged the shuttle and launched it somewhat early, guessing ~0:45-1:00 left. Reason for objection is as given to the admin in the reason, which seemed perfectly sensible to me. There were plenty of people aboard and I didn't see anyone rushing to get on, I asked for objections before emagging(although comms may have been down, can't check logs atm). There usually seems to be broad discretion given to heads when choosing to launch early whether through normal means or with an emag, and the shuttle was far from empty. Whatever minor downside from leaving a few people behind seemed made up for by getting away from departures. And even if that's debatable it should fall short of an actionable shuttle quick launch like launching as soon as it arrivals with no crew onboard.
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: [Bobbahbrown] Zybwivcz - Head role ban for launching shuttle early-ish

Post by bobbahbrown » #491757

Hello,

Thank you for posting to appeal this ban. I would like to first make some clarifications regarding the situation that occurred on round 107376. The evidence for the following claims are at the end of this message, so as to avoid cluttering. As the head of security you emagged the shuttle with 84 seconds left on the clock, this translates to giving the crew 34 seconds to board the shuttle. You attempted to warn the crew that they should "...Get [their] ass to the fucking shuttle or get left behind on this hellhole" approximately 60 seconds before you emagged the shuttle, before the shuttle arrived, though this attempt was not broadcast on radio as far as I can ascertain from telecomms.log.

With these clarifications in place, I feel it is vital to make a clear distinction in this case: there is a substantial difference between three command-level crewmen electing to launch a shuttle versus a single person with the ability to force the shuttle. You forced the shuttle, and not only did you force the shuttle but you did not consult a single person before doing so. Naturally as a member of the command staff you are given a great deal of power to make important decisions for the crew, such as launching the shuttle, but forcing the launch of the shuttle by your own accord based on a unjustified sense of paranoia is not something you should be doing. The admins online at the time did not feel there was justification to believe the shuttle was in any immediate danger.

As the ban expires within the next few hours combined with my explanation above, I am denying this appeal.

Evidence to follow:
This is from telecomms.log, and this is the last message that you sent over radio. You will note this was around 10 minutes before the shuttle arrived.

Code: Select all

[2019-05-01 14:51:44.933] TCOMMS: Zybwivcz/(Jose Evans) [Common] "Sp'iderlingchch" (language: Galactic Common) (Port Primary Hallway (65, 135, 2))
This is from game.log, and they are the only things you said after 14:54:55.189 up to the shuttle launch, showing that you seemingly did not consult anyone regarding your launch.

Code: Select all

[2019-05-01 14:54:55.189] SAY: Zybwivcz/(Jose Evans) (CentCom announcement) "Fuk u mom I only listen to Dr. Jordan Peterson now" (Bridge (106, 135, 2))
[2019-05-01 15:03:14.555] SAY: Zybwivcz/(Jose Evans) "Get your ass to the fucking shuttle or get left behind on this hellhole" (Emergency Shuttle (91, 60, 2))
[2019-05-01 15:03:39.911] SAY: Zybwivcz/(Jose Evans) "don't bolt it open borg" (Emergency Shuttle (91, 60, 2))
[2019-05-01 15:04:09.649] SAY: Zybwivcz/(Jose Evans) "Long enough for me, let's go" (Emergency Shuttle (91, 61, 2))
[2019-05-01 15:04:14.669] GAME: Zybwivcz/(Jose Evans) has emagged the emergency shuttle in (90,60,2) 86 seconds before launch.
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #492016

There were, AFAIK, no other heads in the shuttle when I launched. I don't remember seeing any in the cockpit. And like the chat logs show, I tried to announce but comms were down.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #492383

A twenty four hour head ban is perfectly justified in launching the shuttle early. As bobbahbrown has pointed out, you did not actually inform anyone that you were launching the shuttle early, other than saying it out loud inside the cockpit. You may have tried to announce it, but it's quite obvious when your words go through telecomms properly as they appear in the common channel in your chat box.

Although the shuttle may have "plenty of people aboard" that's no excuse to not let the maximum amount of crew to get aboard if possible, unless there is in fact an emergency that warrants it. Try to keep other folks in mind in the future when deciding if you should early launch or not.