[<Naloac>] <redFlagfelix> - Comms spamming resulting in someone else's murder.

Appeals which have been closed.
redflagfelix
Byond Username: RedFlagfelix

[<Naloac>] <redFlagfelix> - Comms spamming resulting in someone else's murder.

Post by redflagfelix » #560482

BYOND account: redFlagfelix
Character name: Warner Tilton

Ban type: Server Ban
Ban length: 1 Day
Ban reason: Someone had created a machine that voiced how they liked one department. They hid one inside of maint leading to the death of this person. Please in future use your own voice when creating a spam machine.
Time ban was placed: 2020-05-04 20:58:15
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed: 135221

Your side of the story: During this round and the previous the person mentioned in the reason had created a ton of different holotapes and placed them all over the station essentially relaying the same message I (person) Think this department is the best one on the station. Essentially in the ban reason they make it seem like it was one machine but they had done similar stuff for 2 rounds across essentially every single department.

I feel its rather unfair to present it in a way that makes it seem like i was trying to frame someone. Truthfully i thought it would be a decently funny thing to do. Not to mention its not exactly like i killed someone and then said (person) did it.

Furthermore after i had actually had the first machine broken for the second one i recorded my own holotape that used my name saying the exact same thing (person) was saying so if they (security) truly wanted to murder (or arrest) me they could easily tell it was me.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I feel the ban had the wrong reason placed for it, though I will admit I totally deserve to be warned for making a comms spam machine but a day ban? i feel that what i did deserves a warning from an admin and then if I persist I feel I should get banned but without any warning? Its not exactly like I was killing people In a direct manner as a non antag

Furthermore it feels rather silly to ban a person who essentially just caused a machine that repeats what somebody says to get banned for it. I wasn't the person murdering them (nor was I saying over comms lets kill (person). It feels like I don't have much culpability for the Ban, which mind you is for causing essentially a murder. Not a comms spammer.

Truthfully I am fine just taking the day ban, For comms spamming Not causing someones death. As comms spamming is atleast under the precedents shown for rule 1. Indirect murder through fairly dubious circumstance? that's not really a precedent shown from rule 1. (and as a small aside the (person) who was doing all of this was essentially spamming too, Though that of-course doesn't change precedent. I feel it at least shows the atmosphere of the station at that time.)

References of good conduct: I've played this server for around 3 years at this point and for most of it I've been pretty fine but I've had a few bans.
Naloac
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Naloac

Re: [<Naloac>] <redFlagfelix> - Comms spamming resulting in someone else's murder.

Post by Naloac » #560489

So to start off with I dont think you where trying to frame the person. Although your actions DID lead to the persons death. The other players machine was outside departments and could easily be shut off. Your machine on the other hand was hidden in maint

here with a radio beside it. So it spammed directly onto comms. In my opinion theres a difference between the person making a machine outside of departments which is easily turned off and a machine hidden in maint which people have to go find. you also used their voice line which lead to the crew assuming they where spamming which then lead to them being lynched. People already get lynched for spamming. its also in the headmin rulings.

Unless I am missing some context or some other thing I have not seen I believe you did cause their death. We normally ban one day per person.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
redflagfelix

Re: [<Naloac>] <redFlagfelix> - Comms spamming resulting in someone else's murder.

Post by redflagfelix » #560496

If i am to be entirely honest with you i feel a ban for comms spamming is granted in this situation, that much is very true. But i can give you evidence that atleast shows that my name was used when spamming over the comms, its found in the Telecomms log, In the telecomms log (after the first Machine was broken) In maint I had to use a tape to re-record the message and then play on the holorecorder-thingy so it actually played using my name

[2020-05-03 20:23:46.212] TCOMMS: Warner Tilton (Hologram) [Common] (spans: robot ) "I'm Charlotte Melinda and this is my favourite department on the station!" (language: Galactic Common) (Engineering Maintenance (99, 95, 2))
[2020-05-03 20:23:47.655] TCOMMS: Warner Tilton (Hologram) [Common] (spans: robot ) "I'm Charlotte Melinda and this is my favourite department on the station!" (language: Galactic Common) (Engineering Maintenance (99, 95, 2))

Found here:
https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/ter ... mms.txt.gz

And perhaps the one of the larger inditements of the fact that I cause her to die was that she died circa 20 minutes later

[2020-05-03 20:41:26.619] GAME: 20:41:26.619] GAME: Eskjjlj/(Charlotte Melinda) Client Eskjjlj/(Charlotte Melinda) has taken ownership of mob Charlotte Melinda(/mob/dead/observer) (Brig (92, 174, 2))

Found here: file: https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/ter ... me.html.gz

So to condense what i mean by referring to this information is the fact that security had atleast 10 minutes, about the period the Comms spammer was going to look at the name the text was attributed to (that is to say security could totally discern this, in fact considering it was my name on comms every second for 5-10 minutes its rather easy to realise), of course its not absurd to ban me for causing comms spam, in fact an addendum to my ban for that i would be fairly happy with. However calling it murder is rather incorrect. Especially when saying the most egregious part of it was using her voice for the maint broadcast.

P.S: i actually don't really want bad blood between me and an admin, i just feel that calling it murder is a way to make it seem larger than it perhaps was.
Naloac
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #560531

Wew I made a mistake. The ban wasnt about the spamming. I punished you IC with a BSA. The entire ban was based around you using their voice line but I seem to have made the exact same mistake the security staff made. It was a really hectic round with 20 tickets with just me doing all of them by myself. so I probably didnt do the proper due diligence. Ill remove the ban now.

Also to reply to your PS I dont think Ive ever had any bad blood to any player about a ban. Your all good lol.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
redflagfelix

Post by redflagfelix » #560541

No worries man, thanks.