Post by skeffy » #56605

Byond account: Skeffy
Character name: Ben Fries
Banning admin: ahammer18
Ban type: Server ban
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: detonating cannister bomb in hallway
Time ban was placed: 1-5-2015 20:11:03
My side of the story: A friend on the server had told me he was making canister bombs (he/she will remain anonymous for their sake) so i decided to help not knowing how they were made or how to use them. They had told me they were not very powerful so i decided to hide one on the station and see if my friend could find it. I never planned on letting it explode as I had set the timer for a long time and was keeping track. If they did not find it, I would simply disarm it but before I could return for it, I was rendered unconscious after walking near a Uranium wall, which I did not know would knock me out. I know it sounds stupid and I fully understand why I should remain banned but I hope you would please take a moment to consider. Thank you

Why I think I should be unbanned: Out of all the people I know personally on the server, I am normally the only one to take their job seriously. I have never been banned from this server for any other reason and this is my favorite server. I would like to give my sincere apology for what I did and promise to never do it again. In addition, this is the only server I play on. Any other server I play simply just isn't as fun and if I can no longer access this server, I will likely stop playing Space Station 13 all together.
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Re: [ahammer18] Ben Fries - Permaban Appeal

Post by Ahammer18 » #56617

Please explain to me why you disconnected immediately after I PM'd you

Code: Select all

[20:04:12]ACCESS: Login: Skeffy/(Ben Fries) || BYOND v504
[20:04:53]GAME: Bomb valve opened in  Starboard Primary Hallway(158,127,1) with the timer attacher: Ben Fries()  Last touched by: skeffy
[20:05:24]ADMIN: Ahammer18/(Yato Kami) jumped to Skeffy/(Ben Fries)
[20:05:51]ADMIN: PM: Ahammer18/(Yato Kami)->Skeffy/(Ben Fries): Mind telling me why that got detonated?
[20:06:15]ACCESS: Logout: Skeffy[DC]/(Ben Fries)
[20:11:35]ADMIN: ahammer18 has banned skeffy.
Also you just admitted to hard metacommunicating, please explain this as well.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
skeffy

Post by skeffy » #56654

Sorry I really should have clarified better. About the disconnecting after you had PM'd me, to be honest I thought if I took the time to explain, you would have though I was a complete idiot and just ban me on the spot. I really should have stayed and at least attempted to explain and I apologize. As to the mettacommunicating, we were not talking in game, but we also were not using something like skype or teamspeak. My friend said they thought it was a hassle using in game chat, which I don't really understand because it's fairly simple. Anyway, he wanted to communicate through fairly infrequent steam messages. So I guess that could be considered metacommunicating but honestly it's much better than those that are in constant contact using a voice service like skype.
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56657

You have two options here.
1) Take the metacomms ban, and your friend remains anonymous.

2) Rat out your friend and your ban shall be reduced to a week ban.

You have displayed that you two are incapable of being trusted together, and this is the only way. Alternately you could just stop playing, the choice is yours.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
skeffy

Post by skeffy » #56660

Could you specify what the length of the metacomms ban is?
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56662

Your current one is permanent.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56663

Your friend will be punished in the same manor.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
skeffy

Post by skeffy » #56669

I don't want to sound like a bitch but a permaban for my friend if I were to tell you who seems a bit harsh considering they did nothing except send a few steam messages to me which is hardly metacommunicating. Also, are you saying a metacoms ban is permanent?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #56672

Metacomms are harshly punished here, because this is a roleplaying game after all. I'd suggest you and your friend check out the rules page.
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56673

You two are unable to be trusted. Unless you out your friend we can't have both of you playing.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
skeffy

Post by skeffy » #56675

The exact rule on the wiki states, "Don’t metagame. Do not ever use information, acquired out of character or through patterns or events your character would not be able to know, in game". Since we were both in the same room and talking about what we were currently doing, more or less in character, it was essentially as though we were role playing using a whisper function. In addition, this is also the only time we have ever done something like that and I know others that have metacommunicated, not with myself I should note, and were banned for a very short time after admins were informed. I have never heard of a permaban for metacomms and with all due respect I do not think it is fair. In the end it is your decision but I would be willing to take a longer ban than you offered, say maybe a month. I just do not want what I am responsible for to become a problem for others.
skeffy

Post by skeffy » #56676

Of course if i do take a longer ban it would be on the condition that my friend remains anonymous
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56678

Except it isn't just your problem. You are a problem to the balance of the game. Allow me reiterate you two cannot be trusted in the game together
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #56681

skeffy wrote:Of course if i do take a longer ban it would be on the condition that my friend remains anonymous
Your friend will be fine, the bomb issue was yours. The metacomms is a different and more serious problem. If you're willing to take it so your friend can keep playing then that's fine.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56682

Also, I cannot verify your intentions regarding the messages. You still had an advantage over the rest of the players as your messages couldnt be tracked by admins and you always had a direct link to this person.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
skeffy

Post by skeffy » #56701

I'm sorry, I just feel that even though I know it is right to receive a punishment, in this case I don't believe the punishment fits the crime so to speak. I understand if it's someone who is a repeat offender but to take such harsh actions for a first time offence just isn't right as far as I can see. It's not like what we were saying to each other in any way affected the round for anyone else, if my friend had not showed me how to make a canister bomb, I easily could have used the wiki page that shows you. If I had not said anything, nobody would have been any the wiser and to me at least, that shows that no harm comes from simply sending a couple messages back and forth. The way I see it, I don't see myself being completely unbanned free of consequence at this point, but I also feel like their should be some leniency on your part instead of it just being all or nothing, him or me. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and thank you for taking the time to negotiate this further with me. Your decision is final and I respect that, though I can't say I am guaranteed to be happy with it. This server is still one of the best and I hope my friends can continue to enjoy it without me if it comes to that.
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56702

Okay, here is why it is all or nothing:

We cannot trust you to play fairly anymore unless your metafriend is removed, likewise to your metafriend, because of the very nature of metagaming. We cant track you and we can never be sure that you aren't cheating.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
skeffy

Post by skeffy » #56707

I honestly planned on letting this go after the last message I sent but I just don't think you are seeing my point. It's fine if there is some penalty, I suppose even for both of us, but just the fact that it is a permaban for something other people do constantly without consequence just boggles my mind. I personally know people that have been caught metacommunicating on this server that have had nothing happen to them except a slap on the wrist and an admin saying "don't do it again" and they were in constant contact over teamspeak and the admin knew about it! This is why i struggle to put into words how confusing it is that the reason for this ban has been dwarfed by the fact we sent a couple simple steam messages back and forth. I just really struggle to comprehend why there is such a strict punishment for something that normally doesn't affect the game for anyone else.
Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #56709

Okay, just appeal in a month or so, Im not lifting the ban.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #56727

A couple of messages still count as metacommunication. No matter what way you were spinning it. Talking using an outside means of communication is wrong, and against the rules.
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered