[Paxilmaniac] ShadowedEnvy - Can you not abruptly ban me when I am still typing, please

Appeals which have been closed.
ShadowedEnvy
Byond Username: ShadowedEnvy

[Paxilmaniac] ShadowedEnvy - Can you not abruptly ban me when I am still typing, please

Post by ShadowedEnvy » #588512

BYOND account: ShadowedEnvy
Character name: Etherea Nell
Ban type: Server
Ban length: 3 days
Ban reason: Activated a TTV on the emergency shuttle in attempt to kill a space dragon. This bomb rendered the shuttle uninhabitable to those without suits, and killed three people. Please refrain from using bombs against antags, especially in spaces like the evac shuttle.
Time ban was placed: 2021-01-26 19:08:05
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 155069
Your side of the story: As I was in the middle of typing when I was banned, I'm asking myself if people would have had a better round if I *hadn't* tried to bomb the dragon, and I'm honestly not sure. They were going to die before the shuttle got to Centcom either way, as far as I can tell, and the dragon was going to live. My calculation was that if the dragon died along with some of the crew, then at least some people would survive. Of course, I fucked it up, but that was down more to incompetence than doing the wrong thing, in my opinion. Personally, I think the admin's interpretation of the rules here was too rigid.
For context for people who weren't in the round: There was no security, the dragon started by setting up a rift in the armory, then going to cargo, presumably to stop any guns being purchased, it was 40 minutes or so into the round and nobody had 'gamer gear', and it was very lowpop, under 20 players, if I remember correctly. Also, literally nobody used a pod at the end.
Why you think you should be unbanned: N/A
References of good conduct: N/A
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: [Paxilmaniac] ShadowedEnvy - Can you not abruptly ban me when I am still typing, please

Post by bobbahbrown » #588513

hello,

Please refer to the headmin rulings page, upon which you will find a ruling by Armhulen made during his headmin term about this specific situation.
Armhulen wrote:if your extremely griefy thing doesn't DIRECTLY WIN THE ROUND RIGHT AFTER it's griff and bannable
This would provide the basis for your ban. This is not an interpretation of the rules, as you suggest, but rather an enforcement of a well-defined rule with standard practices: 24 hours for each player killed as a non-antagonist.

However, this may be overlooked with the context you have provided in the bottom of your appeal, as an enforcement of the spirit of the rules rather than the word of them, which is the ideal situation.

ever diligent,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
ShadowedEnvy
Byond Username: ShadowedEnvy

Re: [Paxilmaniac] ShadowedEnvy - Can you not abruptly ban me when I am still typing, please

Post by ShadowedEnvy » #588514

Oh, Paxilmaniac never mentioned anything like that, they basically just said that using bombs as a non-antag was unacceptable. Well, that's much more clear, thank you. I was not aware of the standard of 24 hours per death, either. I'm fine with accepting consistent rules, even though I'd obviously rather not be banned, lol
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #588528

This is an important part of ban appeals, I think you should fill this out.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Paxilmaniac
Byond Username: Paxilmaniac

Post by Paxilmaniac » #588530

Hi, a few things:

The reason I "Abruptly" banned you was because at that point the round end had been delayed for several minutes, there wasn't exactly anything left that needed to be said, and if you were still typing, you were taking long enough to make me think you weren't going to say anything else, so I decided to not hold up the server any longer.

Second, I probably could have communicated better that it would be 24 hours for each death caused, and again because of the whole holding the round end hostage thing, I didn't have time to go looking for the ruling on it to show you.

Lastly,

I was going to deny this appeal regardless, because you did in fact kill three people with a bomb, but not providing a reason works for me as well