[Phuzzylodgik]Sosmaster9000 - Banevasion Detection System is casting a rather wide net

Appeals which have been closed.
SoSMaster9000
Byond Username: Sosmaster9000

[Phuzzylodgik]Sosmaster9000 - Banevasion Detection System is casting a rather wide net

Post by SoSMaster9000 » #610484

BYOND account: Sosmaster9000
Character name: Didn't connect, would've been Goodwin Day
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Banned by host: Reason:(StickyBan) You, or another user of this computer or connection (flexrubost) is banned from playing here. The ban reason is: Ban-evading alt of big12345, big123456, enzo1234, enzo1234567, leanantrp, & nickenzo12345. This ban was applied by phuzzylodgik. This is a BanEvasion Detection System ban, if you think this ban is a mistake, please wait EXACTLY 6 seconds, then try again before filing an appeal.
Time ban was placed: 2021-08-10 12:56:09
Server you were playing on when banned: Campbell
Round ID in which ban was placed: I was not able to get in, and therefore could not find a roundid
Your side of the story: I connected to the server and was banned by proxy because of a ban-evader. I don't quite know how this happened, as my account shows no sign of being compromised, nobody has used my computer, and I don't use a VPN where I might share an IP with someone.
Why you think you should be unbanned: Seeing as the ban was, in a quite literal sense, a MISTAKE, I believe it should be rectified.
Anything else we should know: Given that my first connection was 2019-06-26, and this banevading idiot's first connection is 2019-08-03, and that up until now I have remained un-server-banned, I think it is safe to say that I am likely not the evader.
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Re: [Phuzzylodgik]Sosmaster9000 - Banevasion Detection System is casting a rather wide net

Post by Ryusenshu » #610487

Since i have the same problem as them, im writing into their appeal to not clog the board.
I cant connect and it also shows that im banned with the same ban reason.
Of notice , my Internet Service Provider resets my internet connection daily between 3 and 4 am and gives me a new IP

Byond Acc : Ryusenshu
Character : Hits-The-Floor
Server : Campbell
Ban Type: Permanent
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: [Phuzzylodgik]Sosmaster9000 - Banevasion Detection System is casting a rather wide net

Post by Timberpoes » #610488

Phuzzy has been notified and we're looking into the issues with why this stickyban triggered on players. If anyone else reading this has been caught in this stickyban, please add your info here and we'll hit all false positives at once.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #610491

MSO has authorised admins to exempt players from the stickbans where appropriate.

Both ryusenshu and sosmaster9000 have been exempted from this stickyban. You should be able to play either immediately, or from the beginning of next shift depending on how the stickyban exemption works.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #610492

A few other false positives have been cleared up as well. If you're reading this and were previously caught under the flexrubost stickyban, try connecting to Bagil (the server where I added the exemptions) if no other servers seem to work for you. If you can connect there, you probably need to wait for shifts on other servers to end before the stickyban exemption kicks in.

If you're still caught up in this stickyban, please let me know and I'll see if there's anything else I can do or if you weren't on the list of ckeys I've exempted.
green127
Byond Username: Green127

Post by green127 » #610631

I am also experiencing something similar being ban for the same reasons stated above.
I also use a vpn most of the time but with the vpn on or off its still saying im banned.
the only other thing about the stick ban for me is rarely I'll seen the warning over the last few months but would usually clear up rather soon or on a restart.
I was also seeing the warning on the other TG severs but has cleared up since yesterday.

Byond Account : green127
Character : Jason Steele

Thank you for your time
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #610677

green127 wrote:I am also experiencing something similar being ban for the same reasons stated above.
I also use a vpn most of the time but with the vpn on or off its still saying im banned.
the only other thing about the stick ban for me is rarely I'll seen the warning over the last few months but would usually clear up rather soon or on a restart.
I was also seeing the warning on the other TG severs but has cleared up since yesterday.

Thank you for your time
You weren't caught by the stickyban in question.

In the four months that you've been playing here you've connected to our servers using 139 unique IP addresses - most of which are VPN nodes - so it's not particularly shocking that you're stepping on stickyban landmines now and again.

My advice to you would be to stop using a VPN altogether while playing on our servers or at the very least to pick a single node that doesn't give you any trouble and stick with it.
green127

Post by green127 » #610762

capn_monkeypaw wrote:
green127 wrote:I am also experiencing something similar being ban for the same reasons stated above.

Thank you for your time
You weren't caught by the stickyban in question.

In the four months that you've been playing here you've connected to our servers using 139 unique IP addresses - most of which are VPN nodes - so it's not particularly shocking that you're stepping on stickyban landmines now and again.

My advice to you would be to stop using a VPN altogether while playing on our servers or at the very least to pick a single node that doesn't give you any trouble and stick with it.

I appreciated your time looking into the matter. I've done some looking into the problem on my end and tried what you recommended but was still unable to connect to campbell. As you said I have connected to your servers using 139 unique IP addresses most of witch are VPN nodes. I know that of the IP at most only 3 of them are my real ones which is 2%. Also I have to stick to VPN nodes that are local other wise it adds to much ping so again I mostly use 2 nodes. But when connecting to campbell seeing as its in the Europe i cant use my VPN for the most part with out high ping. With that all said I am wondering if campbell is flagging me because my phone hotspot is some how changing its IP every time I turn it on. I have been watching it a little closer and can see the last few numbers changing.

tldr Is my Phone Hotspot causing problems with my IP and causing a false positive for the sticky ban at campbell? If not what should I do to fix the problem since not using a VPN fix the problem?

Thank you for your time and your help
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #610849

Are you only receiving the sticky ban message on campbell or on our other servers, too?
green127

Post by green127 » #610853

after the 11th i stopped seeing the warning with my vpn off on the other severs. For campbell i'm unable to connect at all.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #610994

Are you simply unable to connect or are you seeing the stickyban message?
green127

Post by green127 » #611021

capn_monkeypaw wrote:Are you simply unable to connect or are you seeing the stickyban message?
I am see the stickyban message on campbell and am still unable to connect to campbell.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #611041

Deleted stickybans won't clear until the server restarts. Campbell just ended a multiple-day round. Give it another shot.