Appeals which have been closed.
XII3912
Byond Username: EMX55

[Iain0] Window smashing spree incident

Post by XII3912 » #647099

BYOND account: XII391
Character name: Nicholas Nick
Ban type: Note
Ban reason:As a non-antag, head of staff (QM), went around breaking windows to other departments, could not provide any IC reasoning for these actions. Got into a conflict (read valided) by medical who relieved them of their axe and telebaton. Upon revival immediately started to arrange a revenge hit on medical in violation of escalation rules.
Time ban was placed: 2022-07-19 03:49:51
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Your side of the story: I managed to obtain a fire axe and then decided to go smashing windows i later end up getting lynched by medical staff in medbay which is understandable. Iain bwoinks me and notes me because somehow destroying windows is "self antagging" because its going to lead to you getting into a lethal conflict. when my telebaton (very valuable item) was stolen by the cmo i decided to retrieve it but apparently that "broke escalation" because the fight is over so im not allowed to get my stolen items back.
Why you think this note should be removed: because breaking windows with a fire axe (not windows that lead to space) isn't something you need a IC reason for sorry to say unless its the ones leading to space. i ended up getting lynched and revived and therefore the fight was over this was a IC issue that did not warrant administrative action let alone a note. the intent of breaking windows was because it was fun. It is not at all 'self antagging' (unless the windows lead to space)

you also mentioned in the note that i planned to violate escalation policy technically i never ended up following up on it because you stopped me. and secondly i only wanted to get my tele baton back from the cmo since its extremely valuable not via killing them but via talking to them or stamcritting them. which wouldn't violate escalation because they stole from me. so would it have really been a violation of escalation if i followed up on it? imo no
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Re: [Iain0] Invalid Note

Post by iain0 » #647121

You missed the round ID out for some reason in your template, it's 186891.

I have no idea why you're appealing this, I went over it extensively in the ticket, and asked you many times to provide any justification for your actions IC, which you couldn't do.

I watched you from the moment you started breaking windows with a fireaxe (as QM, head of staff), including you actively fighting with medical as they tried to relieve you of the fire axe (medical being one of the departments you decided to smash windows for), with a telebaton no less, right up until you said "its war", at which point I figured I'd intervene before you gather your buddies and head down to medical and earn yourself a bunch of bans for killing people.

Ultimately I bwoinked you because the TDM you were setting up will quickly get out of hand, had you gone back alone I'd have let you play it out and you'd probably have just copped a ban if you achieved anything on your 2nd antagonism of medical, but once you tried to rally your buddies to come beat up medical with you I didn't really want to pick up the pieces for the sort of deaths and number of tickets that is likely to end up entailing (since a lot of medical helped kill you in the first place), sounded like it was headed to a multi-party interdepartmental war (as per your own words) which would likely guarantee multiple fatalities on either team.

Note you weren't bwoinked for breaking windows. I watched all that and frowned at the poor quality of play, long since stamped out on Terry, but I didn't intervene. I watched you fight medical, and I didn't intervene, though I was ready should you manage to turn this self-antagonism into killing someone. Ultimately it wasn't until you threatened to spiral the situation out of control I decided to nip it in the bud.

It's genuinely disappointing to have to explain "IC / role play" to a thousand hour player, doubly so to then have it taken to appeal after the time I spent explaining it. But here we go again.

The fudamental basics of role play are that you are "playing a character", in a "context", and that the choices and actions you play out through that character should make some sense, in that context. If it helps, imagine you are that person, remap events and justifications to similar things from real life and how you might reasonably behave in real life in situations and thus how you might behave in a role play environment (with the role play element suggesting you enhance your character and traits, as most people are more willing to jump into fatal conflict in a game than real life, but effectively role playing means playing that role, character, position, story, setup, however you want to see it).

So from the top.

1) QM, Head of staff, running around breaking windows.
Windows which are there to prevent easy access to some areas you broke into (chem lab). They also help contain gas floods and to a limited extent contain or delay fire. Regardless of this there's no reason for just randomly trashing things, so this is just straight up vandalising the station for no reason

To explain this to you once more in terms of RP, this is the equivalent to you going to your real life job as normal, where somehow you're management, despite the mentally unstable behaviour you're about to exhibit, and on arriving at work, you grab a nearby fire extinguisher and smash all the windows in the building until someone stops you.

Does this behaviour make sense to you in real life? It makes no more sense in a role playing game either. The fact you're a head of staff just makes this worse, partly because you're supposed to be a more responsible crew member but also for point (2) coming up. Also note that "mentally unstable" is explicitly a forbidden reason for actions as a non-antag in the game.

2) Having done this, medical batons you to try relieve you of the axe. You very quickly attack back with your "extremely valuable" weapon the telebaton. Thankfully (for you) you turn out to be amusingly unrobust in this combat and the CMO has little issue keeping you down, and ultimately multiple members of medical descend on you in some kind of feeding frenzy.

You created a fight from your acts of vandalism. Self-antagging. As a head of staff. With a telebaton. Which you then cry about losing a lot, to the point you insistently raise a second ticket demanding that you are allowed to retrieve it, which I eventually give up on advising restraint and tell you to go ahead on the very unveiled threat that I'll come down on you like a ton of bricks if you end up causing fatalities or significant damage in medical.

This is your much pedestalled telebaton, your stun stick, a potent and powerful weapon whose purpose here is to aid you as a griefer. Had anyone who wasn't another head of staff tried to stop you, you have both a fire axe and a stun weapon, which you're more than happy to use. Honestly I find some question in all this as to if you should even be a command member of staff, if you're basically using it to make yourself untouchable in a self-antagging fight you start by wrecking other peoples departments, maybe you shouldn't be allowed to play a role with a telebaton. Command implies responsibility, which seems to be poorly entrusted to you.

3) Breach of escalation.

Having gotten the crap beat out of you, quite validly, you start your rallying cry and try get other people to join in your war with medical (the person you're talking to seems to have some sense or intuition that you're not someone to be followed and ultimately seems hesitant). At some point if you literally rally a lynch mob you will lose control of it, so I intervene before that point, and by doing so likely saved you a day (or more) ban.

Once you are crit/dead, the fight is over. I really don't care that you lost the telebaton, because like the axe, you abused it. And like the "RP" example above, once you've finished smashing all the windows at work with your fire extinguisher, do you think work are then happy for you to carry around another weapon? Same goes here, you used the fire axe to grief and breach windows and the telebaton to try maintain your position. Versus anyone else without a stun baton you're going to be hard to touch, and I have absolutely no issue with someone deciding you're not responsible enough to have ANY weapons at this point. But under escalation the fight is over, and escalation sucks when you've lost something in that fight because you can't really do much about it there after, but given you instigated the whole thing and quite justifiably lost your weapons, having you attempt to rally your department for a departmental war alone is clearly inappropriate
Line 3380: [2022-07-19 02:30:16.917] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "its war" (Quartermaster's Office (74,142,2))
Line 3412: [2022-07-19 02:30:21.855] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "eliot" (Cargo Bay (67,151,2))
Line 3429: [2022-07-19 02:30:25.363] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "cargo has declared war" (Cargo Bay (67,151,2))
Line 3446: [2022-07-19 02:30:27.625] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "on medical" (Cargo Bay (67,151,2))

Justify ANY of this, including IC and RP justifications rather than OOC. Ultimately you're noted for three piece of poor play including
1) Minor griefing/vandalism for no reason as a "responsible" Command staff member which leads into
2) Self-antaging when those departments rightfully try disarm you, which leads into
3) Clear stirrings of violating escalation policy, including trying to rope other non-antags into rule breaking behaviour.

Explain why any of these are okay?

A disappointing appeal, because it means you really didn't understand any of the points I made, and you somehow think you behaved perfectly fine here, to the point you don't even deserve a note. And I'm a Terry-min almost exclusively, we're supposed to be the hive of grief and shittery, but even Terry doesn't really have this issue (in part to some bwoinks long ago). I need to come admin Sybil more and see what you're all like over there :P
XII3912

Re: [Iain0] Window smashing spree incident

Post by XII3912 » #647128

I would like to mention after i was lynched in medbay i only planned on doing one thing and that wasn't killing all of medbay i can understand why it looked like that though, after i was lynched validly in medbay i only wanted to go back and get my baton back from the CMO and i wasn't planning on killing them in doing this.

I agree that running around smashing windows is not at all playing a believable character however i am playing on a LRP server meaning i have alot more freedom in what i can do (i dont have to play a believable character on sybil) during my window frenzy i didnt stop and consider that in the end i'd find a extra note in my admin remarks. "Upon revival immediately started to arrange a revenge hit on medical in violation of escalation rules" while it looked like it no this wasn't my plan unless you count going back in a attempt to get my baton back as the same thing.

Line 3380: [2022-07-19 02:30:16.917] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "its war" (Quartermaster's Office (74,142,2))
Line 3412: [2022-07-19 02:30:21.855] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "eliot" (Cargo Bay (67,151,2))
Line 3429: [2022-07-19 02:30:25.363] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "cargo has declared war" (Cargo Bay (67,151,2))
Line 3446: [2022-07-19 02:30:27.625] SAY: XII_391/(Nicholas Nick) "on medical" (Cargo Bay (67,151,2))

did you actually see me try and get eliot to help me? no those were just pointless words that i said as a expression of my discontent with having my baton relieved.

whatever happens after this, i'd like you to know that im never gonna repeat this type of shit again, Doing things that may cause lethal conflict with another person as a non antag is something I'm going to watch out for.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #647137

Hey.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't take your rhetoric about 'war' at face value at the time, as in a direct bloody assault on medbay seemed unlikely. What I instead expected to happen is you'd end up with a group of 2-4 people returning to medical to act upon the CMO, perhaps non lethally, perhaps with critting (which would be questionable), however given how quickly and aggressively medical descended on you earlier in numbers, the chances of this turning into a team vs team fight with medical interfering with your intentions (legitimately, on their part) leading to an out and out brawl of 2-4 people on either side seemed high. This is almost certainly only going to end once people start getting crit or dying. If your mob lead to this conclusion I would be looking to apply multiple day bans to you depending on exactly how it panned out.

In contrast the only way to avert this from happening would be for a party to de-escalate ; this isn't on medical since you're effectively starting a 2nd conflict (and making yourself eligible for round removal as a result) and the chances of you just backing down without intervention seemed unlikely too.

All in all this would /most likely/ just lead to a situation with multiple casualties and legitimately multiple tickets from multiple people versus multiple people. You're right in that by pre-emptively intervening here this /may/ not have happened, but I don't think its a huge leap to speculate this conclusion, and by intervening at this moment (and somewhat legitimately over actions already taken by you anyway) I potentially saved both of us the headache of those likely consequences.

Ultimately the note represents that you "started to arrange a revenge hit on medical", rather than saying you actually did anything, so I think this fairly represents what happened here with the point of my intervention, I think the only thing I'd offer is to further clarify that to include any statement of "intent" that you wish to add (i.e. 'player says they intended to XXX, but this may easily have gotten out of hand' type addition)

Glad to see the final conclusion about avoiding this behaviour in future, hopefully that applies to all the noted aspects.

Your call on if you want the proposed style minor revision to the note otherwise I'll leave it as is.

Thanks
XII3912

Post by XII3912 » #647140

iain0 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:03 pm

(i.e. 'player says they intended to XXX, but this may easily have gotten out of hand' type addition)

I was never planning on gathering a lynch mob, as I said I was just saying that out of discontent. Is it still worth a note now? I never really came back with a army to fight medbay again. Notes keep track of behaviour or let admins know that somebody has been told not to do something again. What are you actually noting down here.

if you're not convinced that this wasn't noteworthy then please atleast clarify that I only said I was GOING to get revenge on medbay rather then saying i actually gathered a mob + took steps. because that's how I imagine "arranged" would be interpreted

Thanks
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #647152

Yeah I think its worth a note, it summarises that the whole set of events started over you smashing windows which is just petty grief, but still not acceptable behaviour in the first place. This escalating into a full on fight with medical could have gone badly for you administratively so you got "lucky" by getting owned in the first fight and your rallying cry was enough to cause me to intervene, but consider it due warning not to trash the station for no reason, and not to attempt to create a "war party" in response to a valid situation you have no right to respond to. Instead just curse how much medical sucks for stopping you vandalising their department for no reason. Damn those medics, such jerks, only care about themselves eh!

I don't actually feel there's anything wrong with the note, you "started to arrange a revenge hit", is a pretty good description of trying to rally people to "declare war on medical". Started only means started, whatever your intent.

Ultimately its just a note and provided you take lessons learned out of this it's unlikely to affect your future, though having read more of your history, this maybe isn't your first rodeo like this, but ultimately that behaviour and patterns formed are on you.

Had anything actually happened, i.e. at any point you had gotten an upper hand over medical who are simply trying to stop you being a petty vandal (as a head of staff), you'd have received more than just a note. You were out of line and just self antagging this entire way through.

Edit: Not that relevant, but for what its worth, you go print a cleaver at cargo 10 seconds after you finish your 'war declaration' speech. That said you seem to print 3 cleavers at round start and ordering stun batons through cargo. Along side your "very valuable" telebaton and the fireaxe. Kinda curious what you're arming up for. But thats a whole other can of worms.
XII3912

Post by XII3912 » #647177

iain0 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:42 pm

I don't actually feel there's anything wrong with the note, you "started to arrange a revenge hit", is a pretty good description of trying to rally people to "declare war on medical". I'm a little confused here didn't I mention that this was never my intent I wasn't ever planning on raiding medbay with a group of people, And no steps were actually taken to raid medbay in a group. Arranged makes it seem like I actually tried to gather a mob which I didn't so you can't really say that esp in my note

Edit: Not that relevant, but for what its worth, you go print a cleaver at cargo 10 seconds after you finish your 'war declaration' speech. Yes because I had these things at roundstart and I lost them when I was lynched.
XII3912

Post by XII3912 » #647181

iain0 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:42 pm but consider it due warning not to trash the station for no reason, and not to attempt to create a "war party" in response to a valid situation you have no right to respond to.

I didn't attempt to create a "war party" at all, I only said a few words unless you actually saw me take steps which I don't remember doing. Isn't there some way it can be re worded so that it doesn't seem as if I committed to preparation of raiding medbay?
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #647185

Alright, the ending of the original note is a bit sloppy and doesn't really return to touch on what was actually discussed either, not sure if you'll think this is an improvement but I'll offer up this intended revision so let me know if you think its unfair in any way
As a non-antag, head of staff (QM), went around breaking windows to other departments, could not provide any IC reasoning for these actions. Got into a conflict (read valided) by medical who relieved them of their axe and telebaton. Upon revival started speaking about "declaring war" to fellow cargonians, apparently "pointless words"/"discontent" however I intervened at this point having watched all the above unfold. Spoken to about vandalism, self antagonism and escalation policy and stated in appeal that they would be more careful around such things in future.
XII3912

Post by XII3912 » #647200

I guess that's OK thank you
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #647207

Updated as described.

Thanks for your time.