[Aarontheidiot] Imitates-The-Lizards - Rule 3 note appeal - I want my name back!

Appeals which have been closed.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

[Aarontheidiot] Imitates-The-Lizards - Rule 3 note appeal - I want my name back!

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #654187

BYOND account: Typhnox
Character name: Imitates-The-Lizards
Ban type: This is for a note
Ban length: N/A, this is for a note
Note reason: Rule 3 - Told not to use "Imitates-the-Lizards" as a name for a human or felinid other than as clown/mime, and should instead use a Firstname Lastname format.
Time note was placed: 2021-11-08 18:48:48
Server you were playing on when noted: Sybil
Round ID in which note was placed: 172723
Your side of the story: I played with the name "Imitates-The-Lizards" for several months, and then one day this admin hopped on to Sybil, saw my name, and asked me to change it. I wasn't happy about it, but I complied.
Why you think you should be un-noted: I want this note removed, and to be allowed to use my old name again. I saw Dreary Doom's appeal go through and get accepted, and I figured I might as well give it a shot, with all of the recent discussion around naming policy. Although my name, by my own admission, falls afoul of the current standing rules under Rule 3, I think it is an excellent example of a name that should be allowed and is not due to the current state of Rule 3. My name is VERY clearly a strong fit for the RP setting, and I genuinely used it as part of my character, for example, I would hang out with lizards and pretend to be one of them, and would sometimes speak "like thisss" as a felinid, clearly, you know, imitating the lizards. It's obvious, to me at least, that in this case in particular, the rule is simply harmful to RP. No one's immersion was ruined by my name that fit into the setting. Although rule 3 does say humans and felinids should use a firstname lastname setting, it also says, in it's intro "Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future.". My name is clearly not OOC in the slightest, and was clearly made with effort to fit into the setting. This is a clearcut case of my name falling within the spirit, but not the letter, of the rule.
References of good conduct: N/A, this is simply for a naming policy note
Anything else we should know: This note was modified to allow me to use this name for Entertainers in this appeal, by Mothblocks: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32103

If I can be honest, this is kind of a hail mary attempt.
Last edited by Imitates-The-Lizards on Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: [Aarontheidiot] Imitates-The-Lizards - Rule 3 note appeal - I want my name back!

Post by Timberpoes » #654188

A-a-Ron is no longer an admeme, so I'll latch onto this since I'm already that deep in naming policy already from the previously mentioned appeal.

You are correct in that it absolutely does not mesh with Firstname Lastname from Rule 3.

However, I'm going to crowdsource a few opinions as to if a "it is in aid to an RP gimmick so fuck right off with your authoritarian naming micro-aggression snowflake enforcement bullshit" stance can be taken in this instance, and also see if we can get a little consistency in handling of naming appeals while I'm at it (:doubt:).
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Re: [Aarontheidiot] Imitates-The-Lizards - Rule 3 note appeal - I want my name back!

Post by Timberpoes » #654189

I am placing it on the record that I feel aarontheidiot used their discretion appropriately. I am not them. My use of discretion is going to manfiest differently to theirs.

We have a few historical naming policy handwaives that are similar to yours that have been highlighted in my research.

Thanks to Pandarsenic, Spooks-the-Uni and Zxaber for recalling some historic examples of where where we've allowed names to perhaps cross species boundaries for the benefit of roleplay.

Adopted-for-Tax-Reasons (the non-lizard), Raised-By-Lizards (the non-lizard), Terry-the-Human (the lizard).

No admin with an opinion on it has yet said "no, name bad, keep b&". With all of this I'm able to lean on supporting overturning this via a different application of discretion.

There is but one simple condition mentioned in discussion that I feel prudent to impose, though. When using the name, you should play to your namesake's RP gimmick. Without that aspect, it's much more nonsensical.

In other words, you're being given an RP pass and RP obligation.

Does that fly well with you?
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #654190

So, I can have my name back, so long as I imitate lizards by doing things like ssspeak like thisss, eat mice in maintenance (which funny enough, is a cat thing to do anyway, so I get a double-RP bonus as a felinid), wag my tail, and wear winter coats on icebox? Sure.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #654191

The old note by aarontheidiot has been removed, and has been replaced with the following no-severity/positive note documenting:
Has been allowed to use "Imitates-the-Lizards" as a name for a human or felinid, as long as they play the role appropriately to that name. This is a combined RP pass and RP obligation in using the name. For additional context, see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32607