odosendai3
Byond Username: Odosendai

[Striders13] Odosendai - Bad handling of ahelp

Post by odosendai3 » #659839

BYOND account: Odosendai
Character name: Izabella Fraser / HolyC
Ban type: Server Ban for 1 day
Ban length: 1 day
Ban reason: "As non-antagonist asimov cyborg, patrook in minor griefing of medbay, being preventing people from doing surgery by shuffling them and taking the captain's corpse away from medbay. Was already noted for griefing behavior this very same round. Player was not online when ban was placed, feel free to explain yourselves on the forums."
Time ban was placed: 2022-12-21 09:16:37 (server time)
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 196642
Your side of the story:

Admin Striders13 handled what I believe is a very minor ticket well after round end, and ended up giving me an extremely harsh note (and a day ban) I believe because I was not there to give my side of the story. Based on my past experiences with ahelps (as both the person getting in trouble and the one accusing someone else) it does not make sense to me such a minor complaint was being handled so long after the round ended.

My ban message (my notes in bold): "as non-antagonist asimov cyborg, partook in minor griefing of medbay, being preventing people from doing surgery by shuffling them (I believe I walked through someone doing surgery, as happens every round when medbay is crowded. This was not a thing I was doing deliberately or persistently and didn't meaningfully grief anyone. What evidence was used to justify a note for griefing?)and taking the captain's corpse away from medbay (100% factually untrue, after looking at the logs. After the captain got defibbed I carried them to cryo tube, but they ended up dying because I believe there was an issue with the room APC. After the captain died I gave up control of the body and didn't fight over it. It never left medbay and I never tried to take it from medbay or prevent treatment of it).. Was already noted for griefing behavior this very same round. (I got an MRP note for IC action, there no was "griefing" involved. My LRP actions ended up griefing me more than anyone that round [people escalated against me and took my shit multiple times, which I accepted as a consequence of my actions]) Player was not online when ban was placed (I had made an explicit point of waiting until the round was over, and joining the start of the next one, exactly to try to prevent something like this. I got a note for being LRP, and did the right thing and went to play on Sybil instead as a result of that.) , feel free to explain yourself on forums."

I am sure there will be some disagreement, but this seems like a very minor thing and also the type of thing I would pretty much never get a ban for if I was in game to respond to the admin. I want to know why it was such a seemingly minor ticket was being looked at so long after round end, and why such over the top action was taken. Considering the note has things that are objectively untrue if you look at the logs (I never even tried to remove the captain's corpse from medbay), how thoroughly was this ticket looked at before I was banned?

What ahelp(s) triggered Striders13 to login to Manuel and process the ticket involving me? Were there other open ahelps they also addressed at the time? Is it common for admins to look at this (low) severity of ticket so long after a round ends, and issue bans for something like this so long after the fact?

Detailed summary: Admin Striders13 handled what I believe is a very minor ticket well after round end, and ended up giving me an extremely harsh note (and a day ban) I believe because I was not there to give my side of the story. Based on my past experiences with ahelps (as both the person getting in trouble and the one accusing someone else) it does not make sense to me such a minor complaint was being handled so long after the round ended. I have a note/ban for "soft greifing" people by moving them during surgery, which I didn't do in any meaningful/intentional way (though I have no idea how this is proven/disproven). The other part of the note/ban is for dragging the captain's corpse "away from medbay" which the logs prove I did not do. I tried to drag a recently defibbed person to cryo and fucked that up due to unforeseen circumstances, then immediately gave them back to medbay staff to treat.

Why you think you should be unbanned: See above. Note inaccurate, completely one-sided. Was handled in a way where it was guaranteed to be one-sided. Whatever it is alleged I did had essentially no negative impact on anyone's round. I made a misjudgement and wasn't able to get captain to cryo in time, but if there weren't some weird shit going on with power it should have been 100% safe to do what I did. Even with the bad outcome, I maybe delayed a player's revival by about a minute (if that).

References of good conduct: I have a lot of hours played on /tg/ and my note history is pretty tame relative to how much I play.

Anything else we should know: This is supposed to be an Admin Complaint. My complaint is about the process of how it was handled (looking into something that had such little impact, so long delayed after round end, issuing a really one-sided judgement based off the situation Striders13 caused). Even if the ban is deemed valid (which I would not agree with) I think I should have some avenue to complain about the way this was handled by Striders13.

Edit: Here are all of my attack.txt actions after I became a cyborg that round:

Code: Select all

[2022-12-20 07:23:28.033] ATTACK: C12a23b02/(Irene Keener) attacked odosendai/(HolyC) with kiss (COMBAT MODE: 1) (DAMTYPE: BRUTE) (NEWHP: 100)  (Robotics Lab (122,115,2))
[2022-12-20 07:23:28.034] ATTACK: C12a23b02/(Irene Keener) fired at odosendai/(HolyC) with the kiss blown by Irene Keener from Robotics Lab (NEWHP: 100)  (Robotics Lab (122,115,2))
[2022-12-20 07:26:05.774] ATTACK: odosendai/(HolyC) grabbed Shiveryadam/(Merli Lawniczak) passive grab (NEWHP: 100)  (Aft Central Primary Hallway (144,105,2))
[2022-12-20 07:26:10.572] ATTACK: odosendai/(HolyC) broke grab Shiveryadam/(Merli Lawniczak) (NEWHP: 100)  (Aft Central Primary Hallway (160,105,2))
[2022-12-20 07:27:21.510] ATTACK: odosendai/(HolyC) grabbed *no key*/(Izabella Fraser) passive grab (NEWHP: -100)  (Cryogenics (166,83,2))
[2022-12-20 07:27:41.525] ATTACK: odosendai/(HolyC) has been tipped over by Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava). (Medbay Treatment Center (157,87,2))
[2022-12-20 07:27:41.525] ATTACK: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) has tipped over odosendai/(HolyC). (Medbay Treatment Center (156,86,2))
[2022-12-20 07:27:42.096] ATTACK: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) grabbed odosendai/(HolyC) passive grab (NEWHP: 100)  (Medbay Treatment Center (156,86,2))
[2022-12-20 07:27:49.614] ATTACK: Sightld2/(Diskette B) grabbed odosendai/(HolyC) passive grab (NEWHP: 100)  (Medbay Treatment Center (155,87,2))
[2022-12-20 07:29:29.010] ATTACK: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) failed to tip over odosendai/(HolyC) (Medbay Treatment Center (156,87,2))
[2022-12-20 07:29:51.565] ATTACK: Sightld2/(Diskette B) flashed odosendai/(HolyC) with the flash (NEWHP: 100)  (Medbay Treatment Center (161,88,2))
[2022-12-20 07:29:55.548] ATTACK: BloodyChristmasMiracle/(Joe Colada) grabbed odosendai/(HolyC) passive grab (NEWHP: 100)  (Medbay Treatment Center (160,90,2))
[2022-12-20 07:30:02.728] ATTACK: BloodyChristmasMiracle/(Joe Colada) flashed odosendai/(HolyC) with the flash (NEWHP: 100)  (Aft Central Primary Hallway (144,104,2))
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Re: [Striders13] Odosendai - Bad handling of ahelp

Post by Striders13 » #659930

Hey there, thanks for appealing.
Link to parsed logs: https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/man ... nd-196642/

I can understand your frustration at the fact that you were not contacted earlier to discuss the ticket, but it was handled next round as soon as I was available to do it. The fact that you were offline when the ban was placed is not a point against you, it just states you weren't present to defend yourself; that's why I directed you to appeal on forums - so you can defend yourself. Ban appeals are commonly used to sort out misunderstandings or add on to the missing info.

As for the concerns you raised regarding the note:
"as non-antagonist asimov cyborg, partook in minor griefing of medbay, being preventing people from doing surgery by shuffling them (I believe I walked through someone doing surgery, as happens every round when medbay is crowded. This was not a thing I was doing deliberately or persistently and didn't meaningfully grief anyone. What evidence was used to justify a note for griefing?)
I'd like to preface this with the fact that you weren't even a medical borg, so I'm not sure why were you so insistent on making yourself present at medbay.

[2022-12-20 07:28:17.798] SILICON: CYBORG: odosendai/(HolyC) has transformed into the Peacekeeper model.
I find it hard to believe that medbay was so crowded that you absolutely had to interrupt a doctor doing surgery multiple times in order to... walk around there and not be able to do much, since you aren't a medical borg.
Switching places with someone is not logged, so I have no logged evidence definitively proving you did so. Instead I had to judge you based on 2 eye witness reports saying you did so, and one disgruntled doctor's chat logs:

[2022-12-20 07:28:21.984] EMOTE: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) points at HolyC (Medbay Treatment Center (156,86,2))
[2022-12-20 07:28:23.250] SAY: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) "awesome" (Medbay Treatment Center (156,86,2))
[2022-12-20 07:28:27.132] SAY: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) "can someone tell the borg to fuck off" (Medbay Treatment Center (156,86,2))
[2022-12-20 07:28:35.504] SAY: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) "you made me waste so much time" (Medbay Treatment Center (156,86,2))
[2022-12-20 07:28:40.837] SAY: Thgvr/(Sudie-Rava) "by just being a fucking nuisance" (Medbay Treatment Center (156,86,2))
However, on further inspection I found you interrupting the same doctor by buckling one of the corpses to yourself while the doctor was operating. Game and attack logs filtered by ckeys - Thgvr, odosendai:
► Show Spoiler
and taking the captain's corpse away from medbay (100% factually untrue, after looking at the logs. After the captain got defibbed I carried them to cryo tube, but they ended up dying because I believe there was an issue with the room APC. After the captain died I gave up control of the body and didn't fight over it. It never left medbay and I never tried to take it from medbay or prevent treatment of it).
You quite literally took the captain, who was being actively operated on, off a stasis bed to drag him towards cryo (which killed him). Game and attack logs filtered by - Thgvr, odosendai, Randy Highlands:
► Show Spoiler
I agree that you didn't techincally drag them out of medbay. But you did drag them away from a doctor that was treating them, which is still a questionable decision at best (especially considering that you have zero tools to keep the patient stable as peacekeeper cyborg).
Was already noted for griefing behavior this very same round. (I got an MRP note for IC action, there no was "griefing" involved. My LRP actions ended up griefing me more than anyone that round [people escalated against me and took my shit multiple times, which I accepted as a consequence of my actions]
The note you got on round 196642 reads:
(MRP) As a non-antagonist doctor, randomly shot people with syringes of space drugs for little IC reasoning beyond RPing a dick. Informed that shooting people with syringes is not the behaviour we want on MRP, even if being a jerk is allowed. Promised to tone it back in the future.
I do believe 'randomly shot people with syringes of space drugs' constitutes minor grief.
Player was not online when ban was placed (I had made an explicit point of waiting until the round was over, and joining the start of the next one, exactly to try to prevent something like this. I got a note for being LRP, and did the right thing and went to play on Sybil instead as a result of that.) , feel free to explain yourself on forums."
I'm not holding it against you. It just states you weren't able to provide your side of story, and can do so on forums.
I am sure there will be some disagreement, but this seems like a very minor thing and also the type of thing I would pretty much never get a ban for if I was in game to respond to the admin. I want to know why it was such a seemingly minor ticket was being looked at so long after round end, and why such over the top action was taken.
Admins are not omnipresent. Ticket was handled as soon as an admin was available to handle it. Telling people who are offline to explain themselves on forums is a standard procedure.

Either way, there are two logged, and (several?) unlogged instances of you being a nuisance in medical, as non-medical cyborg. I find it hard to believe you did any of that in good faith. I can edit the note to correct an innaccuracy, if you wish, to:
MRP - R196642 - As non-antagonist asimov cyborg, partook in minor griefing of medbay, being preventing people from doing surgery by shuffling them and taking the captain's corpse away from the doctor who was actively treating them into cryo, which killed the captain. Was already noted for griefing behaviour this very same round.
But otherwise this appeal is denied.
► Show Spoiler
odosendai3

Post by odosendai3 » #659944

Thank you for your response, but my complaint is about you and I don't think you are capable of being impartial on this. Can another admin please rule on this?

Also, can you please give me some details on these questions:

What ahelp(s) triggered Striders13 to login to Manuel and process the ticket involving me?
Were there other open ahelps they also addressed at the time?
Is it common for admins to look at this (low) severity of ticket so long after a round ends, and issue bans for something like this so long after the fact?

It seems like you are implying there were two open tickets about me moving and interrupting surgery steps in medbay, is that accurate or was there more? Can another admin confirm that this is the type of thing that gets looked into this deeply, this long after a round ends?

Also, is there any sort of policy in place where, if someone has open tickets against them that might be investigated like this during the next round, to give the person a "hey hang around" message so they are aware? Seems like an oversight if not.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659946

Reminder that this isn't a complaint, but a ban appeal.

Admins always handle the bans they applied and their respective appeals, unless they're physically unable to do so, inactive, no longer admins, etc.

You may bring new info or context to light so as to try to convince the admin to reduce or remove a ban, but their discretion over the ruling is final.

If you're still not convinced or disagree with the ruling the admin applied, you may ask for headmin review.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by Striders13 » #659957

odosendai3 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:48 pm Can another admin please rule on this?
Head admins have been notified.

I don't believe your other questions are relevant to the appeal.
► Show Spoiler
odosendai3

Post by odosendai3 » #659958

I initially made this an admin complaint but was told I needed a successful appeal to make a complaint.

Can you (any admin, Striders13 included) answer these questions? I get that you might not want to include other player's admin communications so just a basic description would be helpful.

What ahelp(s) triggered Striders13 to login to Manuel and process the ticket involving me?
Were there other open ahelps they also addressed (or ignored) at the time?
Is it common for admins to look at this (low) severity of ticket so long after a round ends, and issue bans for something like this so long after the fact?

Since I was trying to not explicitly make an accusation I might have been too vague. It seems like this note/ban was the result of weirdly targeted admin action. Even this (I think very one-sided and misrepresentative) note on my account, if taken as 100% true, still seems like the type of thing that would not normally warrant an investigation like this.

If everything is aboveboard and I am just misinterpreting this, a vague answer to what I am asking above should satisfy me to stop pursuing this.

If getting my note amended counts as a successful appeal for the purposes of making an Admin Complaint I can move the discussion to there. Or, a vaguely reasonable answer to my questions above will satisfy me and I can drop this also.
odosendai3

Post by odosendai3 » #659959

I don't believe your other questions are relevant to the appeal.
I want to know why it seemed like you went and looked for a reason to ban me so long after a round ended over really minor shit. That is the thing I actually have a complaint about, and this ban appeal is a prerequisite to making an Admin Complaint.

If it isn't the case and I am just misunderstanding things, vague 1 sentence answers to my questions should be more than enough to change my mind and make me drop the issue.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by Striders13 » #659971

Alright then. I'll do my best to answer your questions with info I can reasonably provide.
odosendai3 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:51 pm What ahelp(s) triggered Striders13 to login to Manuel and process the ticket involving me?
Admins can see ahelps done by players when there are no admins on server in a discord channel, but I didn't look in said discord channel before logging on to manuel. I simply logged on, saw 2 tickets that needed handling, handled them.
odosendai3 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:51 pm Is it common for admins to look at this (low) severity of ticket so long after a round ends, and issue bans for something like this so long after the fact?
Admins will generally handle all tickets, unless they, for some reason, feel it's not worth handling / can't handle them / don't want to handle them. Bans can still be issued in subsequent rounds (in this case it was done about an hour into the next round), after an investigation was conducted.
► Show Spoiler
odosendai3

Post by odosendai3 » #659998

Striders13 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:04 pm Alright then. I'll do my best to answer your questions with info I can reasonably provide.
odosendai3 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:51 pm What ahelp(s) triggered Striders13 to login to Manuel and process the ticket involving me?
Admins can see ahelps done by players when there are no admins on server in a discord channel, but I didn't look in said discord channel before logging on to manuel. I simply logged on, saw 2 tickets that needed handling, handled them.
odosendai3 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:51 pm Is it common for admins to look at this (low) severity of ticket so long after a round ends, and issue bans for something like this so long after the fact?
Admins will generally handle all tickets, unless they, for some reason, feel it's not worth handling / can't handle them / don't want to handle them. Bans can still be issued in subsequent rounds (in this case it was done about an hour into the next round), after an investigation was conducted.
I get that. All my experiences with Admins on /tg/ lead me to believe this is the type of thing that falls way under that threshold. "Someone moveshoved me and cancelled a surgery step, and in a separate incident mildly delayed someone's treatment due to a mistake" seems like the type of thing that is both subjective enough (meaning this is an important type of ticket to get input from all parties on) and low impact enough (I understand I delayed someone's revival due to a mistake, but by a trivial amount as far as I can tell) to qualify as "not worth handling".

Can an admin other than Striders13 take a look at the ahelp(s) they would have before deciding to address the ticket and let me know if that seems atypical? Really, if this is normal and just a situation I am misunderstanding, a simple response to this will make me mostly drop the issue.

Since Strider13's original response (and the note on my account) seemed to imply this punishment was at least somewhat due to me getting in trouble earlier in the round and that establishing a pattern of behavior, I want to point out that all the actions mentioned in the (second, disputed) note on my account happened BEFORE I had the initial MRP note placed. The (first) note is labeled an MRP note and mentions about me roleplaying wrong. I was pleasant to the Admin I interacted with (imo) and was told to not do a thing that I stopped doing. Feel free to post the logs of that conversation, but nothing from what I remember indicated to me I was getting in trouble for "griefing". And again, I didn't even know I was actually in trouble until after the round ended.
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #661409

Admins are fully empowered to take action based on after-the-fact log diving and secondary sources where they are not present or able to handle issues in the moment, these actions are generally delivered with a lighter hand, as players will not be present to provide their sides of the story or reasoning behind actions.

Based on the logs provided, Striders is fully within their remit to apply a short ban for griefy behaviour here and we have no intention to overturn the note (as the ban has long since expired)

Spook: Do not overturn
Rave: Do not overturn
San: Do not overturn