[antonkr] Joe Gillian - Permaban for N2O Flood

Appeals which have been closed.
Timrod

[antonkr] Joe Gillian - Permaban for N2O Flood

Post by Timrod » #21592

Byond account and character name: TimrodDX/Joe Gillian
Banning admin: antonkr
Ban reason and length: Permanent, releasing N2O during nuke ops and killing a botanist with a fireaxe
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 8:30 PM EST 7/26/2014

Your side of the story:

I was Atmos during a nuke round that I didn't know was a nuke round. I super-chilled some N2O for fire control purposes (when super-chilled, N2O is a highly effective flame retardant). Eventually, the ops broke into Atmos and bombed it, so I had reason to believe the ops were still on-station. The shuttle was called, and I moved to Escape, carrying one of my N2O canisters with me in case the ops showed up. It was clearly not a canister bomb, as there was no tank inside it (not that N2O can explode anyway).

When I got to escape, Botany was filling the hallway with banana peels. I had the fireaxe so I broke into botany with the intent of killing off their banana stock so that they could not continue to slip the hallway during a nuke round. The botanists immediately attacked me - this is something that Anton apparently missed - with hatchets. I thought I was going to die, so I released the N2O I had. Now, here is the difference between N2O and say, Plasma or a canister bomb.

1. N2O can't kill you. Put you to sleep yes, kill you no.
2. N2O is very visible, and very easy to avoid.
3. The pressure in the N2O canister was fairly low (3000 KPA or so). This meant it would have an effect on basically the area immediately surrounding me and nothing more.
4. N2O cannot be used in any way to cause damage (unless accompanied by plasma or CO2, neither of which were the case here).

I released the N2O and fireaxed to death one of the botanists who had been trying to murder me with a hatchet while he was knocked out from the N2O. I had reason to do so (he had just gone nuts and tried to kill me for trying to stop them slipping the hallway).

Why you think you should be unbanned:

This ban feels like Antonkr had no idea what was going on prior to the flood, and no idea how N2O works. N2O is not a deadly gas - CO2 kills simply from breathing it in and Plasma can be lit on fire and is toxic to breathe, but N2O is not. You can very easily take an N2O tank, go somewhere where no one is going to find you, and use that N2O tank as internals for an entire round and not die. I feel this was a reactive ban that was done without sufficient questioning (I've been killed as Botany PLENTY of times for hallway slips, and that's without even attacking anyone) and without an understanding of how gases work.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [antonkr] Joe Gillian - Permaban for N2O Flood

Post by Stickymayhem » #21597

I was in this round. Knocking everyone out during nuke ops, who will always have internals on if they are even slightly competent, is incredibly detrimental to the crew. Releasing wide-ranging weapons like bombs, gold slime or gas canisters is a well-established punishable method of defence. N2O is extremely dangerous when coupled with the dangers of a gamemode that requires cooperation, and self-defence is not a reason to hinder the fight against the ops.

As a nuke op I lasted a fair bit longer than I should have thanks to the chaos you caused in botany.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Timrod

Post by Timrod » #21600

Whatever. Anton made it clear in IRC that he's not going to allow this to be appealed.
Brotemis
Byond Username: Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #21621

Releasing super chilled n2o (which can possibly kill if cold enough) is not self defense. Especially considering you were the aggressor breaking into botany. I doubt this will end up as a true perma, but I wouldn't be surprised if just to take some time off.
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #21624

Feel free to reappeal this in a month or so when you figure out that releasing a sleeping gas which can suffocate people and put them to sleel inn a self defense situation (which is still debatable as to if it was even half decent) is a shitty idea.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Timrod

Post by Timrod » #21628

Nah, you and Brotemis can feel free to go fuck yourselves. I quit.