[beestung12] Brian Hyde - "extreme validhunting" ban

Appeals which have been closed.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

[beestung12] Brian Hyde - "extreme validhunting" ban

Post by BeeSting12 » #409575

Posting on behalf of BrianHyde since he's having issues linking his BYOND account or something. Everything below the line is what he DM'ed me completely uneditted.
Byond account and character name:
brianhyde/Brian Hyde

Banning admin:
beestung12

Ban type (What are you banned from?):
Game server

Ban reason and length:
(MANUAL BAN) Rule 0, not fit for the server. Extreme validhunting, disregard for other players.

Time ban was placed (including time zone):
2017-12-09 20:23:00

Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil):
Sybil (I believe)
Your side of the story:
As I remember it, I witnessed the CMO kill the HoS seconds after the HoS got off the shuttle at the beginning of what turned out to be a 3 hour round, in which, I played the only security officer. After witnessing this, I went to get a taser and executed the CMO, then took him to science to be borged. I got reports from people there that they had suspected a changeling inside science, and that someone had noticed another scientist dragging a body into the maintainence tunnels. I went to science and the roboticist and xenobiologist both cross claimed changeling on each other, so I arrested both and debrained them to check for ling. Neither were changelings, and I left them alone for the rest of the round, after I personally cryo'd them back to full health.
We then had a bit of issue with the power, so I went out to fix up the solars on the southeast side of Metastation, where I noticed a bunch of broken out windows and doors in the glass corridor near the xenobiology lab. Getting closer to the lab, I saw another xenobiologist inside the lab making a ton of hostile creatures, so I arrested him and searched him, only to find out that I was unable to take his clothing off, which led me to believe he was the changeling I had been looking for. I then took him to the crematory and cremated him.
This was the series of events that led to me getting ahelped and I actually ahelped pre-emptively to explain my situation because the few people that I affected during that round were calling me a validhunter. I was accused of searching these issues out, and while I don't agree that's what I was doing, I can totally understand why it may look like this.
Why you think you should be unbanned:
I'm not going to say I was totally in the right here. I am guilty to some degree, as security was not the job I had been assigned to do at round start, but I felt it was necessary for at least one person on the station to be playing that role as there were no other security officers to do it. I do not think I am guilty of validhunting, because that is simply not how I play the game. I do not believe that I seek out conflicts with other players unless it is a part of my role. I feel that my play is more based on reacting to things happening.
I do I think I am possibly guilty of "powergaming" sometimes and having some amount of disregard for how my actions affect others in specific cases, but I don't think this is a good reason to expel me permanently from the server, especially when there is no clear indication that I am doing it on purpose to ruin others enjoyment of the game or their time on the server. I would like to be given another shot to prove all of this. Thank you
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [beestung12] Brian Hyde - "extreme validhunting" ban

Post by Stickymayhem » #409578

I think the fact that you still don't view what you did as validhunting and still believe you were justified in powergaming and validhunting harder than anyone I've seen do so in a long time doesn't bode well for you getting unbanned.

There was some evidence that you ramp this behaviour up when admins were offline, which is some indication that you know what you're doing ruins other player's enjoyment of the game. I personally recall some instances where people complained through discord or ahelps came through about you powergaming on extremely low pop. There's even a note to that effect: " Player: "I dunno if if I can still report this but brian hyde was being one helluva shitter last night, attacking heads, stealing the spare thirty seconds into the rounds, etc etc. He only plays way late to avoid you guys I think.""
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
BrianHyde

Post by BrianHyde » #409580

Stickymayhem wrote:I think the fact that you still don't view what you did as validhunting and still believe you were justified in powergaming and validhunting harder than anyone I've seen do so in a long time doesn't bode well for you getting unbanned.

There was some evidence that you ramp this behaviour up when admins were offline, which is some indication that you know what you're doing ruins other player's enjoyment of the game. I personally recall some instances where people complained through discord or ahelps came through about you powergaming on extremely low pop. There's even a note to that effect: " Player: "I dunno if if I can still report this but brian hyde was being one helluva shitter last night, attacking heads, stealing the spare thirty seconds into the rounds, etc etc. He only plays way late to avoid you guys I think.""
I responded to things I saw and heard happening as the ONLY security officer for THREE HOURS and only ended up affecting like 4 people. I don't agree that this is even validhunting, let alone an extreme case of it.

I made a conscious effort to play on Sybil and Sybil alone unless there was like nobody at all on there, in that case I'd play on Bagil because it's stupidly boring to play on an empty station. The time that I play has NOTHING to do with server pop besides that, nor does it have anything to do with admin activity. I play when my schedule allows and there's nothing more to it than that.

I will give on the idea that going and rushing the spare and playing security is powergaming, but I'm not trying to hurt anyone else in doing so. And at least 50% of the time I try doing that it ends up with me getting taken out of the round, so why is that even an issue? Even from my own recollection of the round I was ultimately banned for, in addition to playing security when I didn't even have to do it, I was out fixing solars and doing engineering shit as well. I was helping out in medbay and being a jack of all trades. I'm trying to play the game, not to fuck with other people.

This honestly comes off like I'm banned for playing the game "too well". Which is pretty silly anyway, I think I'm a pretty shit player when it comes to robustness or even just general game knowledge. There are people who have been here a lot longer than me, sec officers who routinely affect the round way more and assistants who routinely cause way more chaos than I ever have. Why is it now that I'm getting better at the game and getting the hang of things that I should be removed?

Can you say with 100% certainty that you KNOW I'm trying to be malicious in my playstyle? If not, then I would ask that you seriously reconsider how you view this whole thing and these events.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #409583

This honestly comes off like I'm banned for playing the game "too well".
It's the play to win mentality that's the issue. Succeeding just makes it more obvious that's what you're doing, but stacking up and turning into supercop isn't fun for anyone except you, especially on lowpop.
Can you say with 100% certainty that you KNOW I'm trying to be malicious in my playstyle? If not, then I would ask that you seriously reconsider how you view this whole thing and these events.
Your intent doesn't matter when your actions piss people off.

I didn't place this ban and it's clearly a headmin decision, so we'll see what they think. I'm just dropping some additional context.
Last edited by Stickymayhem on Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
BrianHyde

Post by BrianHyde » #409592

Stickymayhem wrote:
This honestly comes off like I'm banned for playing the game "too well".
It's the play to win mentality that's the issue. Succeeding just makes it more obvious that's what you're doing, but stacking up and turning into supercop isn't fun for anyone except you, especially on lowpop.

Your intent doesn't matter when your actions piss people off.

I didn't place this ban and it's clearly a headmin decision, so we'll see what they think. I'm just dropping some additional context.
That's fine, but I feel like you're painting me in an unfair light, like how you're likening me to "supercop" for grabbing a taser from the brig and killing the guy who I watched kill the Head of Security right in front of me as he got off the arrivals shuttle. You're giving the impression that I was like patrolling around the hallways looking for people to abuse when that simply is not the case. I have never done that because it's just not how I play the game. Even when I antag and could go around murderboning half the station, I don't, because it's annoying as shit when someone does it to me. Intent obviously matters, especially in a case like this where it's the difference between trying to help the station and trying to ruin the round. These two things are not close to equal and you're not doing anyone any favors by attempting to equate them.
BrianHyde

Post by BrianHyde » #409605

At the end of the day, I've been banned for like 6 months now and I can say I learned my lesson about doing these sorts of things (debraining people even if I have reason to suspect they're a ling, playing security when it's not my job), even if I don't fully agree with the reasoning behind the ban.

I'm more than capable of controlling myself and my behavior and all I want is to be given another chance.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #409663

honestly it sounds like you're gonna run into trouble but how about you PROVE ME WRONG. unbanned.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #409715

Clarification: I have some serious problems with this unban but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and go through with the unban on the condition of a three-month probation. Arm already agreed with me, and I can understand that an unban may work.

The appeal is accepted, as of now. Please do not harm, you're on thin ice.