[atlantaned] ahotes09 - Ban Appeal

Post by ahotes09 » #415184

Byond account and character name: ahotes09
Banning admin: atlantaned
Ban type: Permabanned from tgstation
Ban reason and length: "Refused to respond to ahelps."
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2017-06-05 22:10:46
Server you were playing when banned: Sybil
Your side of the story: I was just working on xenobiology when I got banned from tg, I had no idea why, and at the time I was still somewhat new and didn't know what the different text formats and messaging systems were.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I don't think I should have been permabanned for being ignorant of the chat log and chat systems in the first place. If I would have known that an admin was messaging me, I would have responded.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Re: [JusticeGoat] ahotes09 - Ban Appeal

Post by JusticeGoat » #415185

I support him getting the ban lifted, believe he was new and just did not see the admin PM.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Re: [atlantaned] ahotes09 - Ban Appeal

Post by Ispiria » #415191

This looks pretty straightforward to me, I'll be lifting this in a minute here - In the future, just make sure to respond if an admin PMs you, there's big red text and a fancy "bwoink" sound effect!

Update: Ban lifted, have fun!
ahotes09

Post by ahotes09 » #415220

Ispiria wrote:This looks pretty straightforward to me, I'll be lifting this in a minute here - In the future, just make sure to respond if an admin PMs you, there's big red text and a fancy "bwoink" sound effect!

Update: Ban lifted, have fun!
Thank you very much!

I just wanted to ask, don't you think this reason for permabanning me off all tgstation servers is a bit over the top and hasty? Surely you can't expect everyone who joins your servers to know all chat functions and features, so banning me off ALL tgstation for "Refusing" to respond to ahelp (the refusing part simply being conjecture because I was still somewhat new and wasn't fully aware of what was going on), is just a tad ridiculous.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #415230

It really depends on a few factors - how serious the offense the admin is trying to contact you about was, how long the admin responsible waited for a reply, what impression your activities gave the admin as to your actual game experience. If Ned would like to post and offer a bit more perspective here then maybe they'll do so, but otherwise, a permaban to bring an unresponsive player to the forums is more or less standard procedure. It's just easier to avoid griefers this way, although it can definitely seem heavy-handed to new players.

Edit: I will say that in cases where the player being contacted seems to be very new (>100 connections) it's worked for me to simply bring them to admin jail for a few minutes so I can have an in-person chat with them. Tends to resolve things more quickly and easily, and with less stress for the player!
ahotes09

Post by ahotes09 » #415233

Ispiria wrote:It really depends on a few factors - how serious the offense the admin is trying to contact you about was, how long the admin responsible waited for a reply, what impression your activities gave the admin as to your actual game experience. If Ned would like to post and offer a bit more perspective here then maybe they'll do so, but otherwise, a permaban to bring an unresponsive player to the forums is more or less standard procedure. It's just easier to avoid griefers this way, although it can definitely seem heavy-handed to new players.

Edit: I will say that in cases where the player being contacted seems to be very new (>100 connections) it's worked for me to simply bring them to admin jail for a few minutes so I can have an in-person chat with them. Tends to resolve things more quickly and easily, and with less stress for the player!
Your (JusticeGoat) actions in-game made sense and were quite fair, physically doing something to my character seems far more appropriate and gets my attention...The admin that banned me from my recollection froze me, but that was it. You have to be aware that permabans carry a strongly negative connotation, and through permabanning people that don't fully understand these systems in the game, you (admins in general really), come off as brash and heavy-handed.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #415234

A lot of things end up being heavy handed here because honestly most of the community wouldn't respond otherwise. The kind of people that week after week catch notes/bans for the exact same thing and still don't learn, and frequently get randoms that join to cause trouble and log out immediately when caught or just don't answer ahelps to keep doing what they're doing.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #415264

The policy was originally that you would permaban people if bad things happened and they didn't respond. This isn't the case anymore and we just ban people for the amount of time that would be normal for the incident without any evidence from the accused party (which still encourages them to appeal and show their side of the story if they're inclined.)

Looks like this appeal has been handled though.