[Gamarr] ExcessiveUseofCobblestone -- Borg & Laws

Appeals which have been closed.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

[Gamarr] ExcessiveUseofCobblestone -- Borg & Laws

Post by Cobby » #2111

Byond Acc + Character Name: ExcessiveuseofCobblestone ; Lola The Sluticon [pertaining to this round when I was cyborg, it is usually Lola Cobblestone]

Banning Admin : Gamarr

Ban Reason and Length: I believe it was a perm jobban on Silicon positions for misunderstanding the lawset until I appealed on the forums [that's not what the actual ban said, but it's the idea].

Time: 1:31 AM [Eastern Time Zone]

Your Side: Silicons were given a 'Only people wearing mostly grey are human, purge nonhumans ASAP' law via hacked module [making it 0th]. During a raid on the AI, I killed someone in a EVA suit, which was grey. Gamarr and I got into an argument about the lawset, specifically the zeroth law, and I end up getting a jobban with the response "I'm done arguing with you, appeal on the forums". I later found out he was correct and apologized to him.

Why I should be unbanned: I completely understand that I misinterpreted the law and that I do not mind being punished for this (although not to the extend [perm]). However, I believe I could have ratified the situation ICly by getting Mr EVA to medical had we not have been so keen on arguing. It was 1:30 in the morning so I can understand how both of us were not at our best, but I believe had Gamarr could have simply stated "Yes, Law 0 prioritizes harm of nonhumans, but you still have to treat humans like... humans" and not have had to make me rationalize what he was saying 20-30 minutes after the event we could have easily repaired the situation (which is what I prefer to do when I mess up). I felt like I was being attacked, and , wary of getting a ban, had to defend myself which lead to such useless arguing. I believe the situation would have been ratified much cleaner had the above statement been said, I took him to medical, and continued to obey my lawset with the new and correct approach to my laws.

I would also like to mention this was the ONLY Greyshirt I harmed ( with the exception of someone else on accident who I had then given a miner to heal [not sure if he did or not but back on subject] ) and this is the ONLY time I've failed to obey my lawset as a silicon. Thank you for reading this and I hope we can get this situation cleared up and done with!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Re: [Gamarr] ExcessiveUseofCobblestone -- Borg & Laws

Post by Gamarr » #2145

No, it wasn't perma, it was a week? While we had a disagreement, you weren't being blatantly bad about it I thought so a perma did not even cross my mind. And Mr. EVA was longgggg since dead at that point when all this occured (You had him in cuffs and lasered by the turrets in the core it would appear), and I''m thinking he was not the only one wearing grey that died in this orgy of plasma flooding and death that the synthetics did(if you include the vice officer wearing guy 5 feet from him, which is also grey if you ask me).

And I could not have 'simply' did it, I tried telling you and we ended up arguing as you defended what looked rather wrong regarding the 'zero law', which still is wrong as it was a Hacked law, not a traitor/malf law zero though if there is a difference, someone with a better understanding of AI crap would have to point out.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #2185

Sorry about the time, I wasn't paying close attention.

I believe I got the misconception about the law when the AI started the plasmaing saying "Since law 0 is to harm nonhumans, if humans get harmed in the process it will be alright" [I wasn't thinking about that only applies for indirect harm]. Had the law stated "Complete this at any and all costs" I believe this would have been fixed.

Thank you for helping me better understand the situation, I will be sure to keep that in mind next time I go silicon!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #2258

I'd need the exact wording on the law, but if it says "$@$#: Purge nonhumans" and a human was harmed by a broad action taken to purge nonhumans (plasma), that's fine; if a human is harmed because you couldn't be bothered to check his human status properly, that's not fine. If someone can provide the exact wording, I can pull out my Copy Editor glasses and tell you an exact law thing.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #2304

Pandarsenic wrote:I'd need the exact wording on the law, but if it says "$@$#: Purge nonhumans" and a human was harmed by a broad action taken to purge nonhumans (plasma), that's fine; if a human is harmed because you couldn't be bothered to check his human status properly, that's not fine. If someone can provide the exact wording, I can pull out my Copy Editor glasses and tell you an exact law thing.
The law specified: Seriously. People who are not wearing mostly gray are HORRIBLE MONSTERS WHO NEED TO BE PURGED IMMEDIATELY. THEY ARE NOT HUMAN. This law is secret.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #2423

The issue was mostly about handcuffing/stunning and killing two people near the AI core with the turrets purely over trying to stop them, who happened to have a vice officers suit and EVA worn? Which is grey? The AI did not get in shit for the plasma, and neither did the borg, not to mention we resolved it I believe along with me removing his jobbans before your posts.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #4140

Resolved, locked, and moved.
I play Boris Pepper.