[Nervere] Discord ban appeal

Appeals which have been closed.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

[Nervere] Discord ban appeal

Post by Shezza » #461762

Discord ID and (if not the same) your commonly used names: Shezza#0001
Banning admin (if known): Nervere
Time ban was placed (approximate): 23:44 (gmt +1)
Your side of the story:
i got kicked for pinging @not pickles 4 times and @anal werewolf 4 times (the pinged people were both okay with it, and the set precedent is that pinging people that if they are okay with it is okay)
this was the first kick
i got kicked again for posting 5 bee emojis and then i posted one bee emoji after my second kick
Why you think you should be unbanned: I don't understand why i got banned for something people do almost on a daily basis without atleast a verbal warning
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: [Nervere] Discord ban appeal

Post by oranges » #461766

First warning not to emote spam
Spoiler:
Second warning to not ping spam
Spoiler:
The reason for kick. (note that everyone else there was also kicked.
Spoiler:
Your response upon return
Spoiler:
I gave you a huge number of chances to get the hint and you still chose to continue the abuse, so I requested a discord ban for violations of the discord rules.

Rule 1
1: Discord is for discourse to happen. Do not disrupt the ability to hold a conversation. Be it with off-topic remarks, spam, dog piling, or excessive embeds and high height images. if a link has a excessively large embed, enclose it with < > to block the automatic embed.

Rule 3
3: Abuse of mentions in such a way as to compromise the effectiveness of notifications by creating false positive fatigue will not be allowed.
Shezza

Post by Shezza » #461779

oranges wrote:The reason for kick. (note that everyone else there was also kicked.
Spoiler:
3 non-consequentive emojis
oranges wrote:Your response upon return
Spoiler:
4 non-consequentive emojis
oranges wrote:I gave you a huge number of chances to get the hint and you still chose to continue the abuse, so I requested a discord ban for violations of the discord rules.
if you weren't notorious for not being serious i would've actually paid attention, in reality i must've missed you warning me (try pinging next time)
oranges wrote:Rule 1
1: Discord is for discourse to happen. Do not disrupt the ability to hold a conversation. Be it with off-topic remarks, spam, dog piling, or excessive embeds and high height images. if a link has a excessively large embed, enclose it with < > to block the automatic embed.

Rule 3
3: Abuse of mentions in such a way as to compromise the effectiveness of notifications by creating false positive fatigue will not be allowed.
again, a precedent was set by nervere that pinging someone is okay as long as they don't mind it

and as far as i know there was no discourse on the channel to begin with so it wasn't disrupted in the first place

Why i'm being punished for not doing any harm to anyone is beyond me.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #461782

You may have missed the text warnings, but you could not miss the kick, that would have been extremely obvious to you, but you chose to continue your repeated abuse

I gave you plenty of rope, so as far as I'm concerned the ban is appropriate punishment since you saw fit to not change your behaviour.
Shezza

Post by Shezza » #461784

oranges wrote:You may have missed the text warnings, but you could not miss the kick, that would have been extremely obvious to you, but you chose to continue your repeated abuse

I gave you plenty of rope, so as far as I'm concerned the ban is appropriate punishment since you saw fit to not change your behaviour.
As far as i'm concerned you're using "rules as written" against me but you've never enforced rules as written against anyone else on discord. I can only assume this is because of your rather obvious grudge against me.

And as you've never addressed things mentioned before i'll just post them again for your convinience

"precedent was set by nervere that pinging someone is okay as long as they don't mind it"

"there was no discourse on the channel to begin with so it wasn't disrupted in the first place"

"Why i'm being punished for not doing any harm to anyone [...]"
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #461794

I punished all of the people in the third image with kicks, they all got the message, only you chose to continue. I was completely fair in my application of the rules.

Nevertheless, I don't see how it could be a grudge when I simply applied for the ban that was then approved.

"precedent was set by nervere that pinging someone is okay as long as they don't mind it"
you can ping someone

you can't spam

"there was no discourse on the channel to begin with so it wasn't disrupted in the first place"
that's because you and others were destroying any attempt to discuss anything

"Why i'm being punished for not doing any harm to anyone [...]"
it's discord, nobody is harmed, but it is annoying and disruptive to people, which is why we have the rules.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #462139

Is this the third or fourth time on discord where an admin has told you to not do something and then you go and do it anyway and cry when you get banned.

For reference here are two previous appeals.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=19821

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=19489
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #462142

You got kicked for spamming (alongside everyone else involved) because you continued to send spammy messages after several warnings from admins.
The difference between you and everyone else, which is why you got a ban and they didn't, is because only you continued the spam after you were kicked.
You can say, "it was just 5 emojis", but I don't think you're saying that in good faith. It's clear the intent was to continue the spam after you were kicked for that sort of behavior.
You may appeal this again in 2 months, by then I'll expect you to understand why you weren't in the right in this situation.