[JusticeGoat] Mike Spamm - Permaban for metagaming and lying

Appeals which have been closed.
mikespamm

[JusticeGoat] Mike Spamm - Permaban for metagaming and lying

Post by mikespamm » #480377

Byond account and character name: Mike Spamm, Bjork Seatbelt

Banning admin: JusticeGoat

Ban type (What are you banned from?): All /tg/ servers.

Ban reason and length: "Caught metacomming with Fanaticxxkiller kept lying after being caught. Edit: Upon reflection and advice from multiple staff i have decided to upgrade this ban to a permanent ban due to the lying."

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2019-02-27 06:35:25 UTC−05:00

Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Sybil I believe.

Your side of the story: Fanaticxxkiller and a few others with us in the metacomms had the idea of just all being shaft miners and fucking off from the station to just mine for the whole round. This plan was foiled when one of us (not Fanaticxxkiller) wasn't a shaft miner. Me being fairly inexperienced in playing the game decided to go through with it regardless since I would learn a new job. I started getting geared for taking the shuttle to Lavaland when I ran into one of the two people I killed (who I believe was a shaft miner as well). I pick up some kind of axe that shoots lasers off the ground, and he says "Are you gonna give it back?" I say "No" and run away, so he tries to disarm me and get it back, but I manage to hide from him. I tell my friends in metacomms this, and then I am informed from Fanaticxxkiller that he is an antagonist and the guy who wants the axe from me is his target. Before learning this, I was already planning on killing that guy just because he tried to disarm me (which I am aware is against the rules as well; I will try to explain why below). I tell Fanaticxxkiller of my own plan to kill the miner, and he says it would be easier if I let him help. So, I let Fanaticxxkiller thru cargo to the miner's spawn so he can help me. We take the shuttle and see the guy who tried to disarm me--aka the antagonist's target--and some other player who, as far as I'm aware, was an innocent shaft miner. I start to kill the antagonist's target but the other miner tries to stop me so I kill him as well. Then I got teleported to somewhere and the admin (JusticeGoat) put me in jail and told me to tell him why I killed them. I don't remember exactly what JusticeGoat typed to me (besides the basic "Why did you just kill two people as a non-antagonist?" etc.) but I do know that I answered his queries in an obtuse and infantile manner with one-word answers and/or profanity for each of them. From this exchange he inferred I had made use of meta communications to learn the identity of Fanaticxxkiller and his target, who was my target in my blind rage. I then claimed we discussed it in-game, I think (I don't quite remember, but since I got the ban upgraded to permanent I must have) which was indeed false. Then, after being obstinate and uncaring in my further responses, I was banned initially for metagaming for one month. Later on I check the ban and it was upgraded to permanent later for my actions.

Why you think you should be unbanned: First I want to say I'm not going to use what I'm about to type as an excuse for what I did. I am just trying to clarify the mindset I was in at the time of the rule-breaking. So some friends of mine online told me they were going to play SS13, which I hadn't played in a while (in the overall lifetime of me playing the game; I played on Sybil or Bagil a day earlier with the same friends). Before playing, however, I went out to smoke weed. I am being honest, I'm not pulling some kind of DUDE METAGAME AND SAY YOUR LITTLE BROTHER USED YOUR ACCOUNT WHILE ALSO SMOKING YOUR WEED LMAO shit. And again, in case you think I'm trying to excuse my actions, I'm just trying to explain why I was acting the way I was. My attitude while playing the game at that point was not really caring or thinking about what I was doing. So when that guy tried disarming me I took great offense to it, and like I typed above, wanted to kill him with the axe he tried to disarm from me. In hindsight, his disarm attempts are quite the harmless action, and after reading the rules, is not worthy of decapitating two people over. Him being the antagonist's target and me helping a friend who was an antagonist was not my intention from the beginning. Fanaticxxkiller was merely an accomplice to my own murders, as was I to his own (the miner attempting to disarm me). My purpose for playing the game with outside communication applications was not and is not to garner some kind of advantage over others in the game, but merely to enjoy the company of friends and listen to their experiences in game as they can be quite hilarious. In conclusion to this appeal, I apologize for my actions of metagaming, lying, and disrespecting the admin JusticeGoat. If and when you read this, from my responses in-game, it sounded like I didn't care much about the game, the server, the players, or the staff. It also sounded like I had half a brain--which I kind of did, as marijuana tends to diminish quite a bit of it from use. But I want to foster a much better relationship with the server and staff in the future. I know this is quite an early time to make an appeal, but I do not have any ill-will towards JusticeGoat for banning me, and nothing against the /tg/ servers themselves. I just want to play Space Station 13. JusticeGoat, thank you for being so patient with me while I was quite offensive towards you. Looking back on it, I'm surprised I wasn't permabanned outright from the way I acted. I'm sorry. Thanks for reading.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Re: [JusticeGoat] Mike Spamm - Permaban for metagaming and lying

Post by JusticeGoat » #480379

I'm glad you owned up to your behavior. I understand that its a lot of fun to share about your experiences with friends on voice as the round is going on, but it puts the rest of the players at a major disadvantage. /TG/ Takes cheating very seriously, but i still want to see you back so I would be fine with lowering your permanent ban down to the original one month. Please make sure next time to keep escalation rules in mind when playing on our servers along with keeping all communications in game.
mikespamm

Post by mikespamm » #480384

Thank you for lessening the severity of the ban. I'll be back with a new attitude towards the game.

And just to clarify, is using external communications allowed at all? Even if it's just to say something innocuous like "Holy shit the clown has a mech!" From reading the rules, this sounds like it wouldn't give a tactical advantage. However, something like "Holy shit the clown has a mech, he is an antagonist, and he is heading straight for Botany where you are <name here>!" sounds like it would be revealing critical information.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #480387

All outside communications is against policy just saying that for example if your friend knew the clown had a mech it allows for them to prepare for something they would have never known. Suddenly they can have the advantage by getting a ion gun ect. It breaks game balance to let groups of friends do this, even if they have good intentions it spirals out of control to full blown call outs in emotional moments.
mikespamm

Post by mikespamm » #480389

Ok. Thanks for clarifying that for me.