[Pointlesswaste3] - That REALLY Good Soda Flavor - Note appeal!

Appeals which have been closed.
Soda_Flavor
Byond Username: That REALLY Good Soda Flavor

[Pointlesswaste3] - That REALLY Good Soda Flavor - Note appeal!

Post by Soda_Flavor » #493007

Byond account and character name: That REALLY Good Soda Flavor - "Kanye West"
Banning admin: Pointlesswaste3
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Note
Ban reason and length:
as research director, chose the name kanye west. warned that this was an unsuitable name, and replied "Ah, did the policy just change? Sorry I'm not on the forums much" even though they have been warned about this repeatedly and should very much know by now. next time they choose an obviously unsuitable name, consider an appearance ban.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2019-05-11 02:54:59 No idea what timezone
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Sybil
Your side of the story: Regular round, I think my name got noticed because I said something in the radio.
Why you think you should be unbanned:

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the character name "Kanye West" according to the rules as of today (May 10, 2019). The section on names is as follows:
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. A firstname lastname minimum is required for humans and felinids; other species may instead choose to use the default names assigned to them, such as those given through random names, or otherwise any name that is species-appropriate. Honorifics and nicknames are not allowed. Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.
Excessively OOC is defined as names which are intentionally hard to read/spell, references to in-game mechanics or OOC terminology, and any form of nonsensical/bad-faith name (ex. Adolf Hitler, FAGGOT PUNCHER, Poop Boy, xXrobustspaceman420Xx etc).
Let's break down each of the points in the above rule:
- intentionally hard to read/spell: This is not the case with "Kanye West." It is very readable, short, and easy to spell.
- references to in-game mechanics or OOC terminology: None of these exist in the name "Kanye West."
- and any form of nonsensical/bad-faith name: The name "Kanye West" is clearly not nonsensical. And I do not believe it is in bad faith.

The example given for "bad faith" is Adolf Hitler, someone to which Kanye does not compare to at all. While Ye has had his fair share of controversy, nothing he's done has made his name in "bad faith," such as Hitler.

I don't really think this is a fair restriction on my character's name. I understand that admins "can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game." However, I do think there should be another reason, other than the admin's decision, otherwise an admin can just disallow names that anyone else would find perfectly acceptable. I've gotten in trouble for "unacceptable" names in the past, so this puts me in extra danger for an appearance ban. Otherwise, I wouldn't really care about the note.

If the rules are changed to reflect that the names of famous persons are not allowed, then I will gladly change my name. With that in mind, I don't think this is an acceptable note with as the current rules stand. I've had this name for a long time, and this is the first time an admin has had issue with it.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: [Pointlesswaste3] - That REALLY Good Soda Flavor - Note appeal!

Post by cedarbridge » #493009

There is administrative precedent for admin intervention against players named after historical figures (good and bad people.) This is applied to Hitler and Stalin similarly to how it is applied to "Martin Luther King." This also extends to more recent noteworthy figures in news and media. I presume the latter case treats near-current news and media figures as "historical" based on the game's setting rather than by contemporary standards. This could stand for clarification.
Soda_Flavor
Byond Username: That REALLY Good Soda Flavor

Post by Soda_Flavor » #493014

cedarbridge wrote:There is administrative precedent for admin intervention against players named after historical figures (good and bad people.) This is applied to Hitler and Stalin similarly to how it is applied to "Martin Luther King." This also extends to more recent noteworthy figures in news and media. I presume the latter case treats near-current news and media figures as "historical" based on the game's setting rather than by contemporary standards. This could stand for clarification.
Well, this is the first time I've heard about that precedent. I'm not really sure how I am supposed to be aware of that, given that: 1. it's not in the rules and 2. the first time I'm told about it, a note is added saying to appearance ban me on the next offense. I've been using this name for several months now, maybe even five, and this is the first time an admin has brought it up.
pointlesswaste
Byond Username: Pointlesswaste3

Post by pointlesswaste » #493039

the note re: appearance banning is less in reference to this specific name and more due to the fact that this is the third time, i believe, that you've been warned about picking a realistic name. historical figures are given as an example, though, in the rule precedent. i agree the wiki should be more clear.
Last edited by pointlesswaste on Sat May 11, 2019 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #493043

Soda_Flavor wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:There is administrative precedent for admin intervention against players named after historical figures (good and bad people.) This is applied to Hitler and Stalin similarly to how it is applied to "Martin Luther King." This also extends to more recent noteworthy figures in news and media. I presume the latter case treats near-current news and media figures as "historical" based on the game's setting rather than by contemporary standards. This could stand for clarification.
Well, this is the first time I've heard about that precedent. I'm not really sure how I am supposed to be aware of that, given that: 1. it's not in the rules and 2. the first time I'm told about it, a note is added saying to appearance ban me on the next offense. I've been using this name for several months now, maybe even five, and this is the first time an admin has brought it up.
You are aware of it now because you have been TOLD, that is what the note warning you have is NOW tracking, This is also why you were WARNED and not BANNED.

If we removed the NOTE you would be able to continue to VIOLATE the policy, because nobody would know that you are now AWARE of it.

This note appeal makes no fucking sense and it is impossible to expect every aspect of the rules to be written down before we warn you about it and leave a note to track that you are now aware of new policy and changes.

if you ask me, this is a policy thread, disguised as a note appeal.
pointlesswaste
Byond Username: Pointlesswaste3

Post by pointlesswaste » #493045

turns out that kanye west is fine. i'll remove your note.

regarding whether this player is aware of naming policy, oranges, they already have a note or two to that effect, and those will stay.