[Ispiria] deedubya - free my golem

Appeals which have been closed.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

[Ispiria] deedubya - free my golem

Post by deedubya » #501922

Byond account and character name: deedubya (legitimately do not remember the character name, it was a random free golem name, I think it was Plasitanium something or other)

Banning admin: Ispiria

Ban type: Server ban

Ban reason and length: BoH bombing shitcurity on the escape shuttle as a free golem(and hitting a shit ton more innocents than I was expecting) - 7 days

Time ban was placed: 2019-06-28 00:25:56 server time

Server you were playing when banned: Sybil

Your side of the story: I was a midround join as a free golem. As occasionally happens, I wound up finding my way to the mining shuttle and onto the station. By the time I had arrived, the shuttle was already almost at the station, so I said sod it, and went to see if the way was safe. On the way, I saw the way to sci was open(someone welded a door into the wall of the R&D room), and decided to print off a couple BoHs before boarding the shuttle. I'd never actually set off a BoH bomb before, so I was planning on doing it in the post-round FFA to see how large the AOE is.

After the shuttle arrived and everyone boarded, the HoS decided to come out and harm stun baton me in specific, steal the stuff I dropped(including a BoH), and go back to the command deck. He refused to give my stuff back even after I asked told him to, and stayed on the command deck. Two minutes left 'til departure and unarmed, I figured the only way to get something to retaliate against him in time was with that open sci access from earlier. So I went back to sci, printed off a couple more bags, and went back to the shuttle. I got as close to him as possible while also trying to keep my distance from other people(not easy in Disco Inferno, nor was it really necessary since I was a lavaland role, but I still tried to keep other people out of it) and combined the bags. Needless to say, this wound up consuming half the shuttle, killing/banishing loads of people who weren't involved in the escalation. Quite a bit larger than I remembered the tear in reality being.

Obviously I got bwoinked, explained myself in full to the admin at the time, including owning up to the fact that I probably overdid it a little. Got told I was getting a 7 day "roundban". Figured this meant I was getting rolebanned from ghostroles or something like that for a week, which seemed fair enough to me, considering the admin at the time seemed somewhat sympathetic to my reasoning and partial ignorance. Turned out to be a total server ban. https://i.imgur.com/Iga0YCv.png

Why you think you should be unbanned: Getting a total ban for a week for something that had partial reasoning, and genuine admission/acknowledgement of guilt seems a bit harsh. On top of that, I was under the impression that lavaland roles were considered valid to station staff, and vice versa. Despite operating under that mindset, I still attempted to get as few innocents involved as possible, despite vastly underestimating the AOE of the tear in reality and hitting loads of them anyway. The only people I wanted to hit with it were the shitcurity HoS(and by proxy anyone who wanted to defend him, I guess), and felt pretty justified in doing so, according to my understanding of the rules regarding lavaland roles. I am open to the possibility that I'm incorrect regarding the relationship between lavaland roles and station crew as well, but I felt that would have been solved with a stern warning and/or roleban as well. I think it was a foregone conclusion that I wasn't doing it to just be a griffmonster(why would I have been a free golem when i could have just spawned in as a greyshirt if I wanted to grief?) Combine that with the fact that this is my first actual offense in 5+ years of playing, and I think a server ban was overkill. If it was on my server and someone did the same thing, I'd have given them a one-time-only warning and (if possible)a roleban from ghostroles for a week, followed by a severe ban if the offense was repeated afterwards. Speaking of, if you repeal what's left of the ban, feel free to replace it with a roleban from ghostroles/midrounds for the rest of the ban period if you feel it's still necessary. I had already learned my lesson immediately after the incident and won't be doing it again anyway, but whatever gives y'all peace of mind, I guess.

Additional crap you honestly don't need to read: Main reason I didn't post this ban appeal earlier was because it was just as the LEAF DAY long weekend was starting, so I didn't see any point in posting it earlier. If you were caught in that BoH bomb; sorry, my bad. Didn't realize it would be that big. The kicker to this entire story? The HoS in question didn't even die after getting sucked into the tear in reality. gg wp
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: [Ispiria] deedubya - free my golem

Post by bobbahbrown » #501928

The events that led to this ban occurred on round 111739 on Sybil. The player was Plastitanium Chromite. (src, statbus, scrubby)
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #501930

So I don't remember saying anything like a "roundban", and if I did it must've been a typo - I was a little overwhelmed with the number of ahelps that came in surrounding the bombing, as I recall. Lavaland roles are not strictly valid to the crew, they just have relaxed escalation (with the exception of ashwalkers who are straight antags), and policy surrounding golems BoH-bombing the station over minor conflict was tightened up a while ago. You were a random golem walking around on the shuttle carrying a BoH and wearing another on your back; I'd say the HoS was plenty justified taking the spare one from you given the extreme likelihood of a mishap which was, after all, your ultimate intention anyway.

You then BoH bombed the shuttle, killing a great number of people more than just seven. The weekban was a combination of me being too lazy to tally up the total kill count, which believe me, would have been far more than seven, and me showing mercy due to your admission of guilt and recognition that you'd gone a bit too far.

That said, I'm not really willing to reduce or lift this ban. You killed many completely uninvolved innocent people over an extremely minor conflict, and a week is already incredibly lenient for this sort of offense. Take it on the chin, friend, and try to use less force in the future.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #502088

I suppose leniency is rather subjective in this case, then. From my point of view it seems like the options for house arrest and community service were on the table, but instead the option taken was one year hard time with no parole, alongside the statement "be thankful I didn't give you two years"

For the record, I'm not debating whether I fucked up or not(because I did) or if you should have taken action or not(because you should have), only the severity to which action was taken(personally I would have gone with warning+roleban). If you're truly unwilling to knock off the remainder of the ban, then oh well. I suppose I can just be thankful that the majority of it fell during a time that I would be inactive, and sit out the remaining 1-2 days.