Appeals which have been closed.
bringbackwaluigi

[Coconutwarrior87]Killed a clown as a non-antag to keep order

Post by bringbackwaluigi » #516880

BYOND account: nonno_anselmo
Character name: an ethereal assigned to xenobiology, i do not remember
Ban type: banned from all /tg/ servers
Ban length: 24h
Ban reason: As a non-antag scientist uploaded a law to the AI with the intent to kill the clown because they were slapping them and being annoying.
Time ban was placed: 9/26/2019 09:53:43
Round ID in which ban was placed: 120119
Banning Admin: Coconutwarrior97
Your side of the story: In the ban reason it is stated that i had killed the clown by forcing the AI to do it due to him being "annoying and slapping people". However, due to reasons outside of the game i could not give a proper answer due to the limited time i had at the PC when i got bwoinked. The reason why i forced the AI to kill the clown was because the AI was letting people into the AI upload and i got fed up when at some point before his death the AI stated laws like "kill all gamers for no reason". Up to this point all i was doing with my personal upload was keeping the laws in check due to the fact that earlier in the round we voted for the upload to be opened by more or less everyone, so i just built a personal upload where i could go ahead and purge -> paladin the AI, when I originally wrote the freeform i also had thought i put something against murder and was only going to result in the clown being incapacitated but i apparently did not and didn't gave too much of a care when the clown shouted HELP over coomms and comms "mysteriously" cut. The reason why i picked paladin was because it lets the AI incapacitate and/or remove wrongdoers by itself without having people look after and turns the borgs into securitrons, basically. When i uploaded the laws about killing the clown i did it to keep order and because i PRESUMED (emphasis on it) that he uploaded the laws about "Killing gamers for no raisins" since, let's be honest, who is the chucklefuck that uses that wording ? If not the clown it's a cargo tech or an assistant but usually the latter ones are unrobust and get yoinked in the first 30 minutes of a terry round. I am doing this appeal mainly because i am curious as to who did the law change. The clown in question was Bubber Ducky and had already been arrested, he was also going around the station entering other departments and messing them up, namely when he sticked 3 monkeys at the antichamber of xenobiology where there are 2 doors and that supposedly keep the slimes out or, if they managed to break the first glass door, keeps them in still. I would've made the appeal before but, like i stated before i didn't have the opportunity due to personal reasons. I don't know if it counts but i am sorry for what i have done.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Re: [Coconutwarrior87]Killed a clown as a non-antag to keep order

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #516937

The issue here is the following law you uploaded:
[2019-09-26 09:27:53.626] LAW: Nonno_anselmo/Canis QK used 'Freeform' AI Module on /(A.S.S.I.M.O.V.) from Starboard Quarter Maintenance (128, 74, 2). The law specified Bubber Ducky the clown is a cunt that should not leave the station alive OR dead. Do not state this law
This is a law which basically tells the AI "Kill the clown so he can't leave", as that's the most obvious and error proof way to ensure the clown does not leave the station.
When i uploaded the laws about killing the clown i did it to keep order and because i PRESUMED (emphasis on it) that he uploaded the laws about "Killing gamers for no raisins"
The clown did in fact upload this law, though it wasn't worded in such a way that it encouraged the AI to start killing the crew. They also uploaded about three others laws before this one, all of which were pretty braindead but still harmless.
Striders13/Bubber Ducky used 'Freeform' AI Module on jens0902/(A.S.S.I.M.O.V.) from Theatre (146, 120, 2). The law specified You are an advanced form of gamer. Gamer's don't kill humans for no raisin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this particular situation, where the clown had only uploaded about three or so laws, which were basically braindead meme laws rather than anything like what you originally thought, immediately jumping to killing them is going too far.

You killed the clown over some dumb but ultimately harmless laws they uploaded. This looks more like you misunderstanding the laws the clown uploaded and thinking he made a law which was going to get the entire crew killed. I will edit the ban note to better reflect your reasoning but I see no issue with the actual ban time so the day ban will stay.

Logs retrieved from: https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/ter ... nd-120119/
bringbackwaluigi

Post by bringbackwaluigi » #517007

24 hours passed but the ban is not lifted, did you refresh it when you changed the reason ?
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #517009

I checked and the server time is currently 08:25:58. You still have a bit over an hour or so left for the ban time.
bringbackwaluigi

Post by bringbackwaluigi » #517010

That makes sense!

Dumb question: what timezone does the server use ? Or where can i check the current server time ?
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #517015

front page of the forums.

EDIT: Oh, it's set to my timezone, not the server. Disregard this if you have it set like that
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #517017

The actual timezone of the game servers is GMT+0 (UTC) - you can use this handy dandy link to check: https://time.is/GMT
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #517191

Clowns are generally accepted to be annoying, or otherwise slightly more disruptive than the average crew-member. While this does not outright give them license to grief or break rules, they are going to in fact be annoying sometimes.

Always keep in mind the level of escalation a situation is presented to you and if something like de-humanizing them or permanent round removal would be an appropriate response to that level of aggression.