[Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Appeals which have been closed.

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, In-Game Game Master, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

[Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:16 pm #554615

BYOND account: IcePacks
Character name: Paxium LXIX
Ban type: The game
Ban length: 1 day
Ban reason: Breaking role play rule 8. Talking in all caps all the time, spoiling others immersion of the game. Threatened myself when questioned on it and generally acted horribly. Play on one of the LRP servers or risk harsher bans in the future if you continue this path
Time ban was placed: 5:12 p.m. EST
Round ID in which ban was placed: 134493
Your side of the story: I talked in all caps and got banned for a day, despite spending an entire round trying to convince an admin that it's not a problem
Why you think you should be unbanned: A ban for any amount of time for talking in all caps. Why are you taking this personally? Why can't I just fucking play the game?

Logs are here.



PostThis post was deleted by Armhulen on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 pm.
Reason: please control yourself

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:24 pm #554622

As I explained in ahelp, this isn't personal, in that if anything I like you as a player. However other people have complained about your all caps speech being immersion breaking and I agree that its not inline with how the MRP servers should be. Specifically rule 8
8)Play as a coherent, believable character.
Real life realism is not required, and you are encouraged to be a little silly within the context of the SS13 game world. (Clowning around, people spontaneously exploding and creating ridiculously elaborate machinery are all non-serious things but yet a vital part of the game world.) There's a good chance your character still wants to have a job at the end of the day, so you should probably act like it.

I do not believe that speaking in all caps fits within the exceptions of this rule. Not only does it make the speech panel look like a chat room from 1998, as well as it coming across as obnoxious and lacking any variation in speech. The fact you've been doing this is on multiple characters from what I can see shows that is a personal "bit". Yet another attempt by you to toe the line annoy players and admins off during the process.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:31 pm #554629

This is utterly ridiculous. You banned me for a day talking in all caps. The fact that either of us have to spend time on this is disheartening.

User avatar
skoglol
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 am
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby skoglol » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:43 pm #554639

You were asked to stop doing so here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26326#p554298

RaveRadbury wrote:Having this settled, I would like to assert that your decision to have your characters speak in allcaps is detrimental to the MRP experience, as we have methods of shouting IC and allcapsing has been considered rude and distracting on the internet for like, decades now. I'd like to request that you don't engage this speech quirk on our MRP server.

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 pm #554643

This isn't something you warn people about. This is mid-2010's Baystation "roleplay enforcement."

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:13 pm #554651

You might feel that way, but thats not what that servers rules say, this is now how they're being enforced, and if you have nothing else to say except "I think you're wrong" then there's nothing to talk about here.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

PostThis post was deleted by capn_monkeypaw on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm.
Reason: Peanut

PostThis post was deleted by capn_monkeypaw on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:49 pm.
Reason: Response to peanut

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm #554685

How is this a counterpoint? Lizard players want to play lizards. This can be done to a degree that makes me uncomfortable, but I don't take any personal offense to it or try to make them stop or, god fucking forbid, ban them and force them to have to justify why they want to do it. What you're doing here? It's like me banning a lizard player for being a lizard. "Real workplaces wouldn't hire lizardpeople," I could try to justify it, "you're ruining the immersion of people who don't like furries!" Doesn't that look a little shitty to you? That's what you're doing to me right now.

In the same sense, I get stigmatized from time to time. Some people might ask me to stop shouting or side against me on an important, life-or-death matter of trust. Sometimes I see players throw slurs at lizard players and side against them for the exact same reason that people might stigmatize me. It's utterly subjective until it crosses the line of say, someone straight-up fucking killing a lizard player as a non-antag for being a lizard or someone hacking off my tongue as a non-antag for shouting. The latter might not even get enforced, because it falls into this hazy area of being an IC issue. I've had straight-up mutinies against me for being a loud guy. I don't take it personally, I don't adminhelp it, because it's not an area that should be enforced unless it's something that's just happening because a player doesn't like me.

Re-read that rule you're citing as a reason to ban me. There's encouragement to be goofy, strange or weird. I'm trying to put myself into this world in a fashion similar to anyone else trying to roleplay and you're telling me I can't do it that specific way because of what you think. That rule doesn't say "this excludes being loud." You're applying your own personal belief here as enforcement, and it really fucking sucks. I don't want to be here arguing this with you. More than anything, I just want to enjoy the game, which I can't do right now because you've banned me for a day for talking in all caps.

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:52 pm #554688

My counter point was actually a shitpost meant for the NTR hut, I apologise that wasn't meant for here or to be in anyway a serious counter point or even a serious post. Sorry for that.

You are correct in there is a relaxation over "zaney" or interesting characters. But in the same way as "lol my characters insane!" isn't a acceptable roleplay character, in the same way as constant all caps isn't acceptable. We also have a specific shout command (Three ! after a sentence bolds and adds the "shouts" prefix to speech), but even then talking as literally shouting all the time (I assume that's your intention, unless its just to make it like a 90's chatroom) is not only massively annoy its also incredibly immersion breaking and I just cannot see why you feel you need to do it other than to be obnoxious as a player.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:00 pm #554689

Whether or not it was for this thread is pretty irrelevant, since, again, I had to make it because I'm banned for a day, from all of the servers, for talking in all caps, which is so utterly fucking benign an "offense" that I'm forced to use metaphor to try and give you a perspective through which you can see how utterly stupid and pointless all of this is.

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:03 pm #554691

Thank you for your input, I still standby my ban and I won't be changing this currently.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 pm #554693

Why? How do you justify this?

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:05 pm #554694

My reasons are listed above, I have nothing further to add without simply rephrasing my words.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

User avatar
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm
Byond Username: STP

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby Sometinyprick » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 pm #554696

It's worth noting that this different set of rules is only being enforced on Manuel and on every other server using all caps all the time is fine.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:18 pm #554703

That's great and all, but your reasons seem to be that a skeleton dude that bursts into flame on contact with oxygen on a space station in the distant future which gets attacked regularly by, among other things, wizards and blood magic cultists in an endless cycle of violence can't talk loud. Are you fucking kidding me? And I have to spend one of my two days off fighting you on it? I've tried nothing but reasoning with you.

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:25 pm #554709

Admin PM from-Peoplearestrange: I mean honestly I didn't notice it until some other players complained. I think its a reasonable request and one that has an easy solution no?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

User avatar
IcePacks
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am
Byond Username: IcePacks

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby IcePacks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:32 pm #554718

The cornerstone of this isn't rule eight? It's that there's this overwhelming, mass of players that personally don't like that I'm talking in all caps? Is that grounds for a ban?

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:08 am.
Reason: peanut post

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] This is a thing that happened

Postby peoplearestrange » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:49 am #554789

After some thought, I think you're genuine in that this is a bit, I think its a terrible 1 dimensional bit that you for some reason use on all your characters, but its still a bit. And I don't think you mean malice behind it.
I'm going to remove the ban but leave the note.

I think you deserve to have your fun as much as anyone, im just cautious that you have a terrible attitude and toe the line, but I have seen many players engage with you in a positive way.

I don't think this ban should be considered a precedent and I think obviously the heads can over rule or clarify this at any stage. This is more about letting you have your fun than making a steadfast interpretation of the MRP guidelines.

Hope that makes sense.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box


Return to Resolved Appeals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users