Cobraman202
Byond Username: Cobraman

[Doctor Brutality] Cobraman - Maxcap Misunderstanding

Post by Cobraman202 » #581826

BYOND account: Cobraman
Character name: Aden McClymonds
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: "Seems to have detonateed a maxcap in a group as a nonantag, disconnected so he couldn't be PMed"
Time ban was placed: 2020-11-19 17:31:23
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed:150610

Your side of the story: I was the HOS, attempting to assist the acting CE in containing a delamming SM, when I saw a Engineering Borg (named: Engineering Cyborg-515) dragging a tank transfer valve with 2 oxygen tanks attached to it into Engineering. He'd run close to people and zoom around them before running away to a different area, only to come back After the singularity had been contained, I and few other people cornered the borg to see what was in the tank when he came back into engineering. We had no reports of any rouge borgs, and the only discovered antags were Lings (This was about 23+ minutes since the game started). My thought process was "Im sure this is just some prank by the robos, there's a remote detonator on here so if they wanted us actually dead it would have happened already. Ill just open the valve, and laugh at them" (I've never really actually been good at toxins, and all the actual, working, bombs I had seen up to that point were 1 Plasma + 1 Oxygen tank instead of 2 Oxygen tanks). The quite shocking lag spike followed by the eviscerations of myself, the borg, 3 other people, while sending the CE and another bystander into Crit, were not intended. I stayed around for a bit (3-5 minutes) to see if an admin would Bonk me. When they didn't I decided to go ahead and log off and play another game for a bit.

Looking at the logs, a Scientist named Carly Sagan attempted to use the borg to kamikaze the Nuke Ops (Which didn't exist, and was only a ploy for the HOP to hand out AA), which is why the non-antaged borg had the bomb in the first place.

Why you think you should be unbanned: In firearms, there is the adage "Treat every gun like it's loaded." I've learned now to apply that adage to Tank transfer valves and assume "Treat every bomb as a max cap". It was a mistake for me to both open that bomb, to not immediately Ahelp what happened, and to wait until an admin bwonked me as I should have realized an investigation was ongoing.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: [Doctor Brutality] Cobraman - Maxcap Misunderstanding

Post by iamgoofball » #581828

For future reference, the safe way to defuse a TTV is to grab it, click it to open the menu, and yoink one of the tanks. Opening the valve on a TTV doesn't vent to the air like every other instance of opening the valve on an atmos item, it instead lets the two tank contents mix and mingle and then as a result, go boom.
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Re: [Doctor Brutality] Cobraman - Maxcap Misunderstanding

Post by pugie » #581840

Thanks for appealing, this is only a permaban because I couldn't talk to you at the time.

This is why you don't play around with bombs, quite a few people got gibbed. People make mistakes though, I'll lift the ban.
Be more careful lol