Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

[Owegno] Mickyan - Note appeal

Post by Mickyan » #602395

BYOND account: Mickyan
Character name: Swanni
Ban type: Note
Ban reason: Built a uranium block in departures. Didn't realize it irradiated the area. Should know better for the future.
Time ban was placed: 2020/10/2
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 147460
Your side of the story: The note is correct, I built a block of uranium thinking the amount of radiation it gave off would be neglegible as is the case for all other uranium buildables (you need to build like an entire room out of uranium before it becomes an issue, normally), instead it instantly turned arrivals and the escape shuttle into an irradiated glowing hellscape, which caused me to get bwoinked.

At the time I owned up to my mistake because I did not want to waste everyone's time trying to defend myself as I wasn't completely sure about it, but the amount of radiation it gave off seemed way too high for it to be intended. So I went on coderbus to investigate and sure enough I was right. Here's the relevant issues on github, notice the first one was opened on that very same day https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/54141, https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/54172. The issue was patched just days later.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I believe that given the circumstances and additional context that became more clear after the fact, what happened isn't really any fault of my own, neither by malice nor incompetence, and it brings great dishonor to my otherwise spotless record

Anything else we should know: It took 8 months to appeal this because I didn't even notice the note was there, sorry and thank you!
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Re: [Owegno] Mickyan - Note appeal

Post by Owegno » #602429

Yeah I can remove the note since building uranium blocks isn't an issue anymore so there is no point in you having a note saying you shouldn't. I do wish to point out though that notes aren't only given when the player is believed to be malicious or incompetent, they are also (like in this case) just used as a record of innocent mistakes as well. Of course since the mistake you made isn't an issue anymore I have no issues with removing the note and have done so.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: [Owegno] Mickyan - Note appeal

Post by Mickyan » #602432

Understood, thank you!