[Knira] Soyoboyo - Are we reading the same rule 11? (Note)

Appeals which have been closed.
Soyoboyo
Byond Username: Soyoboyo

[Knira] Soyoboyo - Are we reading the same rule 11? (Note)

Post by Soyoboyo » #609405

BYOND account: soyoboyo
Character name: Slavik Gulahkin
Ban type: Note
Note length: Permanent
Note reason: Warned to not call black people "niggas" and such
Time note was placed: 2021-08-04 00:34:57
Server you were playing on when noted: Sybil
Round ID in which note was placed: https://sb.atlantaned.space/rounds/167186
Your side of the story: I latejoined as a QM and find a black guy looting the corpse of the HoP. I say "Nigga?" and I walk back to the autolathe to make cable ties. I shove stun and cuff him and find a desword in his backpack which he presumably used to kill the HoP. I repeat several times later that "some nigga killed the HoP" in my attempts to revive him.
Why you think you should be get this note removed: Since when was calling people nigga, not even nigger, against the rules? Rule 11 is a supplementary rule to rule 1 to ban people who excessively use nigger, faggot, kike, etc. directly and consistently as a form of harassment. From what I've gathered, it's not intended to actually ban the words themselves. Referring to this black guy who killed the HoP as a "nigga" in no way is a form of harassment that falls under rule 1 and 11.
This is a quote directly from rule 11: "It is not our goal to create or enforce a list of banned words and instead our goal to eject bigotry from the community."
Calling a black person a nigga or even a nigger as a joke in a video game about a futuristic space station full of wacky murder tools is hardly a form of bigotry.
Knira
Byond Username: Knira

Re: [Knira] - Are we reading the same rule 11? (Note)

Post by Knira » #609417

To also quote Rule 11, "Intentionally seeking to demean others due to their actual or perceived race, sex, gender, orientation or the like is not tolerated.
" you told me in ahelps that you were fully aware the person was black and proceeded to call him nigga I don't see any issues with the note at all it isn't incorrect nor harsh. also here's a photo to backup what I said about you being fully aware of him also being black.Image
Soyoboyo

Re: [Knira] Soyoboyo - Are we reading the same rule 11? (Note)

Post by Soyoboyo » #609418

If we're going to be posting PM's then here: https://atlantaned.space/banbus/ticket/293856ab7d8fff84
I'm not saying I didn't call him a nigga, I'm saying that it doesn't break rule 11. Tell me how calling someone a nigga is "intentionally ... demean[ing]" and not a casual statement.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #609424

Because he was black.

You cannot be bigoted IC unless it’s specifically contained in the realm of make belief bigotry, that is through the use of species that don’t exist.

Racism is not ok, Speciesism is
Homophobia is not ok, Xenophilia is

Referring to a black person as the n word is at best a really poor coincidence, which is at best a notable offense to make sure it stays as a one off.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Soyoboyo

Post by Soyoboyo » #609425

I fail to see how words are bigoted if they don't carry any intent. I can call anyone a nigger, and it just so happened that the person I called a nigger was black. It's not like I'm looking for black characters to throw slurs at. MSO specifically said he wasn't looking to ban words.
Soyoboyo

Post by Soyoboyo » #609430

The reason I'm appealing this is because the note implies that calling a person a nigger by itself is breaking rule 11. I don't care what color the fictional character on the screen is (because to be honest I can set my character's skin tone to 230/255 and wear an Afro too) because I will call them a nigger if they piss me off. What I thought rule 11 was for was for people who intentionally go out of their way to find black people or gays or whatever and single them out and say shit like "I hope your darkie race dies out you incorrigible nigger" on a constant basis. What I don't think rule 11 is for is people calling each other slurs because it's the nature of an online space.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #609467

Soyoboyo apparently requested a permanent ban from Armhulen which has been carried out.

I'm locking this since it's no longer relevant.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #609555

I'm unlocking as I don't want this to get lost in resolved appeals unfairly if headmins may possibly rule to lift this note
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #611405

I don't think this is worth overturning, if the other two headmins read this and disagree they're welcome to overrule me