rockcabb
Byond Username: Rockcabbage

[JusticeGoat] Rockcabbage - Rule 11 as a list of banned words

Post by rockcabb » #643304

Manuel, about 2:45PM EST

Admin: JusticeGoat
Byond Name: Rockcabbage
Round: 184398

This was originally just a complaint, but I was told to move it here as an appeal, as behavior was banned which must first be overturned before a complaint could be posted, the situation is as follows:

Had just spawned back in as a positronic brain, and was placed in a cyborg. My borg name is "N1G-R0", and has been without issue for some hundreds of hours across years of play without incident. I was promptly bwoinked for a Rule 11 violation, which reads as follows:
Intentionally seeking to demean others due to their actual or perceived race, sex, gender, disability, orientation or the like is not tolerated. It is not our goal to create or enforce a list of banned words and instead our goal to eject the expression of bigotry from the community. Enforcement will be less PC based and more common sense based with that goal in mind.

This means rather than warning or banning for quoting a usage such as "Griff McNazi got banned for calling somebody a faggot" or even things like "nigga pls" and "what are you faggots playing" which are generally not statements made to be bigoted, we'll focus more on statements like "you talk like a [insert stereotype]" or "x is a [insert slur]".
I can not understand how my name could be construed as targeted bigotry. It is quite obviously a play on "Negro", but nothing about that word nor any action I took could be reasonably interpreted as demeaning, bigoted, harassment, etc. It is even expressly worded that "things like 'nigga pls'" should not be warned or banned, which could quite directly be offensive as "nigga" is just the southern dialectic pronunciation of the racial slur. Should the word "black" also be banned from use?

Admin expectations of the enforcement of this rule are as follows:
Bigotry - noun

big·​ot·​ry ∣ \ˈbi-gə-trē\

acts or beliefs characteristic of a bigot

Bigot - noun

big·​ot ∣ \ˈbi-gət\

One who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

When deciding rather or not to enforce this rule on a player, as well as how severe of an enforcement, please consider the following questions:

Are they expressing hatred or intolerance toward a protected group (race, sex, gender, disability, orientation (note: both majorities and minorities count))?
How likely are they to know that their actions/words are expressing hatred or intolerance toward a protected group?
Assuming they read and remember the rules, how likely are they to make the connection that their conduct is not allowed? (Not all of our players come from first world country with a culture that places an emphasis on promoting tolerance and sensitivity)
Have they tried to previously claim instances were accidental references but they just keep accidentally being a bigot?
It's ok to give somebody a warning or a lighter punishment at first and crack down harder if they keep it up.

And finally, remember, the goal is to remove the 'expression' of bigotry from the community, not to establish a thought crime against bigots, they can feel how ever they want as long as they can keep it to themselves.
It does not track that using a play on "negro" as a name expressed hatred or intolerance of a "protected group."
I believe drawing the line in the sand at bigotry, and racial epithets expressed to denote negativity or offense is excellent and a natural clarification of rule 1, which fosters a healthy and welcoming community.
My case is clearly a subversion of admin expectations and not a violation of rule 11 as written above. If there is a private list of words in and of themselves completely banned from statement, that should be stated in the rule and the expectation of Rule 11 enforcement should be updated accordingly.

Mothblocks had replied in the complaint thread
You don't see what "N1G-R0" could be read as other than "negro"?
and I genuinely don't see how else it could be interpreted. Perhaps this is what I am missing? If someone would elaborate I would be more understanding. Perhaps "N1G" being too close to the slur? It would seem that "nigga pls" would be even more out of line than N1G. Would N3G-R0 be permissible in this case? Just thought I'd reply to that here because I'm really at a loss, might be some offensive terminology I'm missing here.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: [JusticeGoat] Rockcabbage - Rule 11 as a list of banned words

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #643324

You are going to have to convert this into the Ban Appeal template found here is you want admins to look at it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: [JusticeGoat] Rockcabbage - Rule 11 as a list of banned words

Post by Mothblocks » #643339

I'm going to just cut this off early and deny your appeal.

I think "my name negro is not bigoted" just isn't relevant. When an admin says your name is dumb and asks you to change it, you have two routes. One is to change it. The other is to try to win the excessively-rare "even though naming policy is extremely subjective and up to individual admins, this subjective decision is too flimsy". You did not win the lottery here, your name is dumb and Justicegoat was right to ask you to change it.

The note in question:
Came back from an extended break, has been updated on the inclusion of rule 11 after asking to change from an inappropriate name.
You were given a note to change from an inappropriate name (Justicegoat does not call this bigoted anywhere). Given the name's nature, Justicegoat then took the opportunity to update you on the inclusion of rule 11. Especially with the inclusion of "came back from an extended break", it is extremely evident that they were just filling you in one of our biggest policy changes of recent time.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<