[Aurx] Kodeth101 - Overzealous adminning

Appeals which have been closed.
Kodeth101
Byond Username: Kodeth101

[Aurx] Kodeth101 - Overzealous adminning

Post by Kodeth101 » #3902

Byond account and character name: kodeth101 and Gabe Horn
Admin: Aurx
Time incident occured: About 7:40 central time, May 05, 2014.
Detailed summary: I said this over OOC:
"OOC: Kodeth101:>using lasers to detain people as security
OOC: Kodeth101:shiggily diggily doo
OOC: Kodeth101:Not that it happened IC though"
Then, without any warning or questioning or anything whatsoever, I was banned by Aurx for 15 minutes for "IC in OOC" regardless of how that didn't even happen in-game, and I specifically stated over OOC that I wasn't saying it because of it happening in OOC.
While it's true that the ban length is short, it made me miss the start of the next round, and it was also completely unnecessary and could have been easily avoided by simply PM'ing me.
elyina
Byond Username: Elyina

Re: [Aurx] Kodeth101 - Overzealous adminning

Post by elyina » #3923

Moved to appeals, you shouldn't be opening an admin complaint about a ban until after you've at least attempted to appeal the ban and had it marked as resolved.

For the ban itself I got 2 questions: Were security actually shooting people with lasers in this round or was this a response to a conversation that was going on in OOC? If it's the first, this is no different than "Man, it really sucks when a changeling kills you in dorms, not that that happened to me IC tho :^)"
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #3942

There were people in conflict with security. You came out of nowhere to mention lasers and security. No prior thread of conversation I could see that would lead to it. And "Not IC" said in OOC is a big red flag. It looked like textbook IC in OOC.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #3966

Fake IC in OOC or OOCly implying something happened IC isn't allowed either.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #4060

Sounds like you were doing actual IC in OOC and just trying to cover your ass with "OOC: Kodeth101:Not that it happened IC though"
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #4064

Fake IC in OOC is just as shit as normal IC in OOC. Zero fucking tolerance rule.
Either you are A) actually doing it and lying to cover your ass with 'not that it happened IC though', or B) lying about the lasers and making fake IC in OOC to get people riled up/opinionated in round. So either way, deal with your ban.
Kodeth101

Post by Kodeth101 » #4142

It was actually neither of those. That didn't happen in IC, nor was I attempted to do fake IC in OOC.
I even said that it didn't happen in IC. And this isn't a ban appeal, this is an admin complaint.
Also, I joined really late into the round so I couldn't have had any idea of what had even happened during the round.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #4143

You're complaining about a justified 15 minute ban?
Kodeth101

Post by Kodeth101 » #4145

I'm complaining about an overzealous admin who bans unjustly without asking any questions at all.
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #4209

Kodeth101 wrote:I'm complaining about an overzealous admin who bans unjustly without asking any questions at all.
IC in OOC can be a no warning ban of 15 minutes, it can be longer if the IC in OOC is severe. To clarify, this is revealing anything about the current round that others can use in the OOC channel. If you are unsure do not say it
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #4277

More accurate is it's things that include, but are not limited to:

Revealing anything about the current round (ooc "X is griffing me)
Trying to make other people think you're revealing something about the current round (ooc ":g Absorbing Captain)
Unfunny jokes about the above (ooc ":g Absorbing AI)
Saying things that technically might not be about the current round but obviously are (ooc "It sure lags a lot when singulo is out)
Things that imply the above (ooc ">using lasers to detain people as security)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Kodeth101

Post by Kodeth101 » #4352

My comment in OOC had nothing to do with was happening IC, though.
Deuryn

Post by Deuryn » #4479

Yeah. But we definitely don't have rules about "fake OOC".

Oh wait. We do. Specifically because we don't want stuff like that happening. If you're coming out of nowhere and saying stuff like that, it's going to be construed as potential IC in OOC and banned. No warnings, no questions, no items, final destination.

It sucks that we have to do it this way, but we seriously have to do it this way. An admin can and should grant lee-way in really obviously not actually IC and probably not trying to be fake IC situations. But those aren't all that common. Just don't talk about IC matters/problems in OOC while a round is going on. If you carry on a post-round conversation into the next round, that's a different story and I really don't see any problems with that.
[23:16] <Pandarsenic> Admin talking to person who adminhelps. Conspiracy, or secret society? More at 11.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198006567155.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561198006567155]Image[/url]