Byond Username: Uncle_Fruit_VEVO

[bmon] Uncle_Fruit_VEVO - Note appeal

Post by UncleFruit » #711524

Ban Details
BYOND account: Uncle_Fruit_VEVO
Character name: Andre Michigan
Ban type: Note
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: "OOC: Uncle_Fruit_VEVO: shut up cracker " Don't call people slurs, ever.
Time ban was placed: 2023-11-14 20:34:07
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: Round 218773

Reasons for Appealing

Is the reason/note factually accurate and fair?: No -
If no, please provide more details: I didn't really know this term became a slur in recent memories i'm not gonna lie. I was tempted to argue it in the ahelp but thought that might sour things or make this whole situation worse. This is generally misinformation and ignorance on my part.
Supporting logs: N/A
Do you disagree with the admin's interpretation of rules or policy?: Yes
If no, please provide more details: As above, I wasn't aware Cracker was now considered a slur. I'm not racist nor do I think I can be considered racist towards my own race (Caucasian/White/etc). This was genuinely a mistake on my part and I should've brought up the fact that I didn't know this was now considered a slur which is a fuck up on my part.

Do you feel the ban length or decision to note was unjustifiably harsh?: Yes
If no, please provide more details: While I don't want to go into some deep discussion about the history of racism and slur usage throughout the decades, the reclamation of words in communities, etc etc, I figured personally this was just one of those words no one really cared about. I don't have issue with the admin in question-- Far from it actually! I just think this note gives the wrong impression of me and seems a bit harsh-- Especially since this wasn't out of any malice towards one race or another. Just a little quip/jab at someone in ooc saying something along the lines of "death grips is cringe" or "playing music for others is weird". I don't mind if the note stays, but if the severity or wording could be changed, i'd much prefer that.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [bmon] Uncle_Fruit_VEVO - Note appeal

Post by Vekter » #711570

Per Wikipedia, "cracker" is generally considered a slur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(term)
Cracker, sometimes cracka or white cracker, is a racial epithet directed towards white people,[1][2][3] used especially with regard to poor rural whites in the Southern United States.[4] Although commonly a pejorative, it is also used in a neutral context, particularly in reference to a native of Florida or Georgia (see Florida cracker and Georgia cracker)
Rule 11 does not differentiate between marginalized groups in regards to bigotry.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #711654

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to make an appeal.

I won't be lifting this note since it falls in line with Rule 11. You used a racial slur against someone's perceived race as an insult for them not liking a certain type of music.

I believe my note is accurate as I simply copied and pasted what you had said in OOC into the note along with telling you not to to call people slurs.

My understanding of Rule 11 and the policy around it is solid. The word "cracker" used in the manner you used it is a slur, historically it has been a slur for a very long time. Saying that you are of the race the slur is targeted against has never been a valid excuse here on TG.

I do not believe I was overly harsh, a note is the lowest level of disciplinary action an admin can enforce upon a player. The note itself is a simple copy-paste of what you had said, I did not make any grand statements about you being a racist in the note besides telling you not to call people slurs. This note will not be an issue for you in the future so long as you do not call people slurs.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #712122

If OP hasn't responded to this in the next 24 hours, I'm closing it as resolved.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you