[DISCORD] Meyumi39

Appeals which have been closed.
mey39

[DISCORD] Meyumi39

Post by mey39 » #719231

Discord username: Meyumi39
Commonly used names: Mey
Banning admin: -
Ban reason: "hilariously bad-faith posting in shitposts-general, claiming Karl (user #2) was calling all gay people pedophiles / making fun of pedophiles was making fun of gay people because they called out a homophobic "meme"."
Time ban was placed: ~30 minutes ago, 2:15pm MST
Your side of the story: The context of this comment was related to of all things, a boykisser meme. In the meme there are 2 boykisser characters, one labeled "silly guy" or something like that, and the other labeled "boykisser'. Under boykisser there was a large list of abhorrent misdeeds, about half of which were related to pedophilia in some way (a common joke regarding boykisser, due to the boy part of his name). The one who posted this said they got warned because the meme was 'homophobic', which I agreed was silly. The previously mentioned Karl said something like "thats valid" or something regarding the warn. A bit of back and forth where karl then cited "half of the reasons under boykisser are pedophilia" as a reason for it being homophobic. I did not see the connection between these two things whatsoever and replied sarcastically with "no no what karl means is that all gay people are pedophiles and making fun of pedophiles is making fun of gay people" which is so hilariously untrue and a massive twist of his words and I am confused that it was taken as face value and seen as genuine. Perhaps my sarcasm could have been made more clear? I also mocked karl's moderator ping by saying "erm... moderators!!!" which resulted in an hour long timeout. I said that due to me thinking that my hyperbolic comment was to be seen as hyperbolic and silly, and therefore pinging the moderators was silly, but clearly that was not the case. I have to imagine that contributes in some capacity.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Under the assumption that my claim that karl was calling all gay people pedophiles was genuine, a ban would be pretty justified. I tried to make it clear that my response to comment was not entirely serious and was me taking his words to the absolute extreme, well beyond any truth or reason. I, personally, felt this to be pretty self evident by the absurdity of my comment. A note or a timeout of some kind seems more fitting to me as this was a misplaced/misinterpreted joke, rather than a comment with genuinely malicious intent. Clearly I should have made my intent more clear. As for the timeout for mocking the moderator ping, that was due to my past experiences with people ping moderators because they didnt like what I said, and assumed it was going to be brushed off by said moderators. This clearly was not the case and was misplaced mockery.
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Re: [DISCORD] Meyumi39

Post by dragomagol » #719234

The exchange in question (black lines where screenshots have been truncated).

AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
mey39

Post by mey39 » #719281

Thats all factual and correct. I should specify that the 'clearly all of boykisser's misdeeds are because he is gay lmao" was also sarcasm, as indicated by the 'clearly' and 'lmao'. I was attempting to point out how ridiculous I found karl's comment, as calling that meme homophobic implies that the meme is saying 'boykisser' did all those things BECAUSE he is gay, which I dont think is the point of the meme. Its clearly making fun of the fact that he kisses BOYS, implying underage boys, among other bad things. My last comment (the one which resulted in the ban) was me further poking fun at karl's comment. It could have used some indicators like the last comment to better indicate I was not seriously claiming that was karl's argument, and instead hyperbole and an extreme stretching of his words for comedic effect.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #719409

Heya! Sorry for the late response. You're correct in that it did seem like a serious response, which is why I went for the ban. If someone *did* believe that all gay people were pedophiles and said as much, they'd be banned - which is why your comment seemed equivalent, essentially, to banbaiting.
Since it's a joke, I just ask that you avoid making jokes like that in the future.

You should be unbanned now, take care.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
mey39

Post by mey39 » #719419

scrumptious