[Iain0] Bob Schrubbery, gibbed and banned.

Appeals which have been closed.
Bob Schrubbery
Byond Username: Bob Schrubbery

[Iain0] Bob Schrubbery, gibbed and banned.

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719483

BYOND account: Bob Schrubbery
Character name: Bob Schrubbery
Ban type: 1 Day Server Ban
Ban length: 1 day
Ban reason: As a round start prisoner, killed a borg in an attempt to facilitate their escape. Prisoners do
not get to be violent during escapes. During the ticket Iced "centcom gay" which seems like a rule 11 issue
additionally. Despite not playing recently, has a number of significant notes from the last hundred hours.

Time ban was placed: 2024-01-29 23:23:10
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed: 223042

Reasons for Appealing - I already posted a admin report on the banning admin, Iain0, but I will explain what happened here. I was playing as a prisoner,
and had another user with me. I have played prisoner at most a hanful of times, this user seemed to know what they were doing so I followed their lead.
At one point a borg came in, the other user told me to kill the borg. It made sense at the time since I was under the impression we were supposed to
escape without being caught. After killing borg I was pinged by Iain0, asking why I killed the borg. I explained what happened and apologized for the
confusion. I noticed the other user was also afk, so I knew they got pinged as well. In the past I've seen countless players refer to mods as centcom
and use the name centcom when they got ahelped or ahelped someone. While waiting for another response from Iain0 I said "centcom gay" Pretty much
right after that I was gibbed. Iain0 told me it was for IC and rule 11 (?) I have been playing for years, and in that time I have been called gay
(and much worse) and have used the word to describe unpleasent situations. I've never been told off for it, nor has anyone else. There was no
bad intent, just thought it sounded funny to say centcom gay after getting pinged. When I explained this, I was essentially told I was getting banned,
and Iain0 cited my current offenses and my bans 6 months (and longer) ago as the reason. [/b]

Do you disagree with the admin's interpretation of rules or policy?: I do not disagree with the admins interpretation of the rules, but these were both
rules that I have never ran into. Ending my round and banning me seemed very extreme.

Do you feel the ban length or decision to note was unjustifiably harsh?: I do not think a ban was justified in this situation.
Last edited by dragomagol on Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formatting
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Re: [Iain0] Bob Schrubbery, gibbed and banned.

Post by Justice12354 » #719485

This is the round start description of the Prisoner, set in stone in policy config:

"You are not an antagonist. Remember: you did sign up for this role. If you should want to walk the halls of the station once more, you should earn your freedom, whether by escaping your confines or working with security/lawyers to determine terms of release. You might prove to be valuable manpower against the various threats the station professes. If you should wish to escape, minimize harm while preserving your own life, and understand that you may not enjoy the consequences of your actions if you get caught once more. Otherwise, enjoy the amenities of the wing that holds you."

For the sake of easier reading, I have removed all the text editing clauses.
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Bob Schrubbery

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719488

Yes, this was explained to me after the fact. I was following the lead of someone who, up to that point, seemed to know what they were doing. Being gibbed and banned was not for the borg, it was only after I made my centcom gay statement.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #719490

You murdered another player, this is a standard one day bannable offence. Despite the ideas I gleaned from the other player, no return to the game was suitably forthcoming for the borg, and after a few minutes of the ticket I intervened to revive the borg and sent it on its way (with a funny law to ignore all the shift start prisoners).

As a prisoner you are expected to use non lethal means to escape, this doesn't really cover this.

Refering to me as "centcom" IC doesn't really make sense, but i did not bwoink you for the OOC IC ish nature of this and dont really mind, but you suddenly blurting out "centcom gay" makes no real sense in context because centcom didn't contact you, but whatever.

Instead the "centcom gay" issue is the use of the word gay. Centcom obviously means "the admin" and you're not really talking about my sexual preferences here. The use as a slur is a rule 11 violation.

In deciding on making this a ban I took into account your 357 hours played time, which is enough time to be more familiar with the rules, additionally given your very sparse history of play time on TG I decided to review your previous 100 hours of playtime worth of notes rather than the typical "6 months history" (95%+ of which you've zero activity during), in this mix was 4 bans for blowing people up - more than once brig, one other ban for attacking sec, and one of these bans was a permanent ban.

All seems like straight forward rule breaks for killing another player, which is a very strong action to be taking, while in a role that rather forbids such actions, with the hours to know better, and a history that suggests you're a little frag happy.

The ban is only a day ban and standard for a kill, the rule 11 gets thrown into the pot too, given your history I see no reason to have reduced it. Any reason why you think I should?
Bob Schrubbery

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719493

Aside from my opinion on the banning admin responding the the ban appeal, which does not make much sense, I did not kill a player out of malice or with the intent to break a rule. I was told by another player, who clearly had more experience than me, to kill the borg. I did not attack the borg first. Banning me over a misunderstanding seems a bit unfair. It's clear looking at how I was playing there that I was going along with what the other user did, since I wanted to learn a new role. I have had over 300 hours playtime but almost none of it as prisoner. My inactivity has been due to lack of adequate internet (working overseas, unimportant). Even if the ban is "only" one day, that doesn't chance the fact that a ban seems like an extreme reaction.
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #719498

Bob Schrubbery wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:35 am Aside from my opinion on the banning admin responding the the ban appeal, which does not make much sense
Our Ban Appeal system bases itself on a new opportunity and environment for the handling admin and the punished player to interact to come to a fairer ruling. The admin may maintain, reduce, or completely remove the punishment applied. If you disagree with the admin's final ruling, you may request a Headmin Review, in which the Head Admins will give a final look into the scenario and close the appeal for good. You may exchange replies with iain0 how many times you want to in order to come to an understanding (which is the ideal scenario).
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Bob Schrubbery

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719500

I did not disagree with the fact that I broke rules, however I don't feel like a ban was justified. I was clearly unaware of two rules, the biggest being the role of a prisoner. I apologized for the confusion immediately, but would have liked a chance to learn from that rather than being banned. Since I've been able to play again, I have had no bans or issues with admins, and am familiar with most of the rules.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #719504

Not sure what I can say to you really, our base line policy is a day for a kill, when I look through your history to find reason to reduce it, I merely find a player with excess antagonism notably some towards sec and a number of bans, one of which was a permaban that you were denied in appeals for a year (final appeal here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34668). I'm not really finding any reason to reduce the ban, the lesson you seem not to be learning is that kills are not something to be taken lightly, and your record is littered with them.

I will deny this appeal unless you have anything more to add. It's only a day. Try not to resurface a pattern of such events. As per the process described by Justice above you may escalate this if you believe in your case.
Bob Schrubbery

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719505

What you dont seem to understand is there is a difference between being a murder hobo and misunderstanding your role. This situation is nothing like my prior bans, which were a long time ago. I don't think it makes much sense to ban me for something I genuinely thought was apart of the role. I don't get a ton of time to sit around and play games, I was planning on playing most of tonight before I go back to work tomorrow. Not really any other good active servers.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #719506

Prisoner: You are not an antagonist. Remember: you did sign up for this role. If you should want to walk the halls of the station once more, you should earn your freedom, whether by escaping your confines or working with security/lawyers to determine terms of release. You might prove to be valuable manpower against the various threats the station professes. If you should wish to escape, minimize harm while preserving your own life, and understand that you may not enjoy the consequences of your actions if you get caught once more. Otherwise, enjoy the amenities of the wing that holds you.
Killing things is typically the realm of IC escalation (not applicable here) or antagonists. Your very login text tells you most of what you need, along with the general understanding that killing things is bad. If killing is your idea of minimized harm I wonder where you place "a moderate amount of harm". How many dead would that be?

Still denied.
Bob Schrubbery

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719507

Ok, so how does a head admin review work. You clearly are not reading anything I say.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #719508

I've notified them, they'll drop in.
Bob Schrubbery

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719512

TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #719513

no
Do not facilitate player deaths for poor IC reasoning. Distributing bombs or other similarly destructive items can leave you responsible for how they are used if not cleared with an admin first. Each unjustified kill is normally met with a 24-hour ban.
Intentionally seeking to demean others due to their actual or perceived race, sex, gender, disability, orientation or the like is not tolerated. It is not our goal to create or enforce a list of banned words and instead our goal to eject the expression of bigotry from the community. Enforcement will be less PC based and more common sense based with that goal in mind.

This means rather than warning or banning for quoting a usage such as "Griff McNazi got banned for calling somebody a faggot" or even things like "nigga pls" and "what are you faggots playing" which are generally not statements made to be bigoted, we'll focus more on statements like "you talk like a [insert stereotype]" or "x is a [insert slur]".
Bob Schrubbery

Post by Bob Schrubbery » #719514

what a professional and detailed response, thank you head mod.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #719515

i thought that was pretty detailed