Byond Username: Shoefoot

[Scriptis] Shoefoot/Maria Hayseed - Permaban for poor escalation

Post by Shoefoot » #720730

BYOND account: Shoefoot
Character name: Maria Hayseed
Ban/note type:
Server Ban

Ban/note length: Permanent
Ban/note reason: As a nonantagonist, helped a changeling mime kill several people on the station. You have accrued three notes for poor escalation in 24 hours, come back in a year with a vouch.
Time ban was placed: 2023-07-16 07:51:46
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 210337

Why are you making this appeal?(Check what applies):
(x) - The ban/note is factually incorrect
(x) - The ban was unjustifiably harsh
(x) - I was permabanned and I want another chance

Why should this appeal be accepted?:
First, I would like to say that the three notes for poor escalation are justified. I was having fun being a shitter and I now understand how this effects people's games and I regret it.
I understand banning someone for accruing a bunch of notes for the same problem within a short period of time, however the specific incident mentioned in this ban is highly exaggerated.
I befriended the mime early in the round, and from what I recall I stunned Luke Chien when he attempted to kill the mime. The mime never killed Luke. Anyway the mime ended up being a ling and I was banned for protecting him.
I asked the admin about it in the ticket but he refused to elaborate. He also mentioned metacomming which is completely untrue. I don't have a vouch, but given that the event which prompted this ban was misunderstood, I think it should be reevaluated if a vouch is necessary, though I will get one if it is the only way. The original note says to come back in a year, and it has been about 7 months. I spent some time on fulp but it didn't fully scratch the /tg/ itch. Instead I spent most of my time playing Barotrauma, and co-op Factorio. I have a new appreciation for the fun of mastering the games systems and roleplaying. If I come back I wont be nearly as aggressive as I was in the past. After a long break, I would like to return to the server, but if you demand a vouch from another server or extra time then I understand.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Scriptis] Shoefoot/Maria Hayseed - Permaban for poor escalation

Post by Vekter » #720738

Hey, gamer. Scriptis retired a bit ago so I'll take this over.

I'm not a huge fan of how Scriptis handled this ban originally. It seems like part of this was due to you potentially metacommunicating with two other players, but the ban itself doesn't actually address this fact. Can you tell me if you were interacting with any other players outside of the game, such as being in a Discord call with them and coordinating your in-game actions?

E: Okay honestly, the more I look into this the more I dislike how it was originally handled. Ostensibly the ban isn't actually for you racking up three notes in 24 hours (which, don't get me wrong, is not fucking great) but it's because you metacommunicated with another player. The thing is, not only does the note not mention that, but you weren't even told that was why you were being banned beyond a very brief mention of it.

The two tickets as part of this interaction can be found under the cut:
► Show Spoiler
Furthermore, the grounds upon which the metacomms ban were placed aren't even mentioned in the note either. There is concrete evidence that you did metacommunicate with another player, but if I'm having to dig through the round logs to find where the admin in question is discussing the ban in adminsay to actually get the details of what's going on, I really don't think the note is sufficient.

So I'm going to completely disregard anything related to the metacomms matter. As far as I'm concerned, you were banned for assisting an antag and a series of very poorly thought-out interactions over a short period. I'm going to assume that you understand why following someone around that you know is an antagonist and actively helping them kill people is a bad thing. I'm cool with giving you another chance, but if you start up the same behaviors you did before, you'll be banned again, and this one will be much harder to lift.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Scriptis] Shoefoot/Maria Hayseed - Permaban for poor escalation

Post by Vekter » #720872

Shoefoot was unbanned and has since joined the server so I'm locking this.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you