Byond Username: Absolucy

[Saegrimr] Darkbitt - "You must be over 18 to play"

Post by aspen » #722494

BYOND account: Darkbitt
Character name: N/A
Ban type: Server / Blacklist
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: "You must be over 18 to play"
Time ban was placed: Late 2016 I believe (November/December-ish?)
Server you were playing on when banned: Bagil
Round ID in which ban was placed: N/A
Your side of the story: Okay, so my side of the story is kinda split up into two parts. What led to the ban itself (which is relatively simple), and what led to the blacklist (which is a bit more complicated).
-- What led to the initial server ban: Basically, I was new to the game. I did not fully understand the concept of ick oock. I ick oocked, I think it was a nukie round and I wanted the admins to play cool music? No clue how I remember that, tbh. Got an temporary OOC ban. Me, being immature, went to the IRC and argued with the banning admin about it, leading to the server "You Must Be Over 18" ban, which was fully justified tbh.
-- What led to my blacklist: So, after being server-banned, I just couldn't accept the fact that I was banned and couldn't return. I was still immature, because of course I was, and chose to ban evade instead of waiting for myself to mature so I could return the normal way. I don't believe I really griefed when ban evading, I think I mostly just tried to play normally, although at one point I accidentally triggered some bug with the stickyban system that caused it to go nuts and start banning a bunch of people (to this day, I still do not know what I did to cause that bug, or if it was just by chance or something).
Why you think you should be unbanned: Over 7 years now. Wow. It's been a while, hasn't it. I've changed, of course. Had some bumps here and there, dealt with some anger issues, but I feel I've gotten over those, and I've actually proven myself to be a decent person now - I have over a thousand hours on Bee, and several hundred on Monke, with little trouble. I was even an admin on Bee for a few months (albeit retiring on good terms due to irl stress). I wanna play here again, y'know. Contribute to the code more (albeit I've already been making PRs, mostly upstreaming stuff I've fixed on Monke) and have an actual reason to do so. Prove myself better!
References of good conduct: BeeStation, MonkeStation
Anything else we should know: I currently play on the ckey "Absolucy", and over the years have lost access to many of my older accounts (including the initially banned account, Darkbitt). If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me, and I'll try to answer, although do note my memories from most things before 2020-2021 are pretty fuzzy nowadays.

I hope it's fine that it hasn't been exactly a year, albeit pretty close, and I do have more references of good conduct / vouches this time. I apologize for the inconvenience if it's still too early.

Previous Appeals (for reference):
Mar 2023
Nov 2021
Apr 2021
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Saegrimr] Darkbitt - "You must be over 18 to play"

Post by Vekter » #722495

I'll let MSO know that you've appealed again.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #722534

MSO has chosen to allow this appeal to continue and, after a unprompted vouch from Bee, has removed the blacklist.

Vekter has expressed an interest in taking this appeal and MSO handed it over to him, so the floor is his.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
aspen

Post by aspen » #722547

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:53 pm MSO has chosen to allow this appeal to continue and, after a unprompted vouch from Bee, has removed the blacklist.

Vekter has expressed an interest in taking this appeal and MSO handed it over to him, so the floor is his.
Even if it's just an unblacklist and not an unban yet, I still appreciate y'all taking your time to go over this and such :)
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #722548

Yup, I got pinged about it this morning and promptly missed it because I woke up with a migraine.

Anyway, your history is really fucking rough. Like, I think you understand the problem in that you had some really major violations in the past, up to and including being banned from multiple servers for doxxing. I am a firm believer in second chances, but this is really serious shit. The vouches I've heard from other players (including crossedfall, whom I have a lot of respect for) absolutely help and it does genuinely look like you're trying to turn things over.

If you were to be unbanned, can you give me a rundown of how your mentality has changed since your initial ban and how that would be reflected in how you choose to conduct yourself on our servers?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

aspen

Post by aspen » #722550

Vekter wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:56 pm Yup, I got pinged about it this morning and promptly missed it because I woke up with a migraine.

Anyway, your history is really fucking rough. Like, I think you understand the problem in that you had some really major violations in the past, up to and including being banned from multiple servers for doxxing. I am a firm believer in second chances, but this is really serious shit. The vouches I've heard from other players (including crossedfall, whom I have a lot of respect for) absolutely help and it does genuinely look like you're trying to turn things over.

If you were to be unbanned, can you give me a rundown of how your mentality has changed since your initial ban and how that would be reflected in how you choose to conduct yourself on our servers?
Around 2020~ or so, I kinda... started struggling with mental and emotional turmoil, which led to some issues like the aforementioned doxxing incident (which I am greatly embarrassed about), however due to eventually (irl) properly addressing the issues, and also kinda just generally growing up, I've also emotionally matured. I stopped hanging out with bad influences (like karma), made some genuinely good friend instead, and kinda more... discovered who I am? (am I phrasing that right?) I've tried to become a nicer, better person over time, and while there's been road bumps, I will not claim to be anywhere near perfect, I'd say I've very much improved since my days of shittery.

I was well, a dumbass teenager during the initial ban and subsequent incidents, and now well, I'm an adult. I've even held an actual job for a year or so (economic layoffs my behated)

Plus, in my opinion, for what little it's worth, the fact I've played on MRP servers the past year or so without any notable incidents does kinda seem like it backs me up, as asshats don't tend to do well in those environments (plus, Bee and Monke are not exactly afraid of doing quality control bans to kick out shitters)

Apologies if I'm bad at explaining anything, it's not my strong suite.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #722552

aspen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:02 pm Around 2020~ or so, I kinda... started struggling with mental and emotional turmoil, which led to some issues like the aforementioned doxxing incident (which I am greatly embarrassed about), however due to eventually (irl) properly addressing the issues, and also kinda just generally growing up, I've also emotionally matured. I stopped hanging out with bad influences (like karma), made some genuinely good friend instead, and kinda more... discovered who I am? (am I phrasing that right?) I've tried to become a nicer, better person over time, and while there's been road bumps, I will not claim to be anywhere near perfect, I'd say I've very much improved since my days of shittery.

I was well, a dumbass teenager during the initial ban and subsequent incidents, and now well, I'm an adult. I've even held an actual job for a year or so (economic layoffs my behated)

Plus, in my opinion, for what little it's worth, the fact I've played on MRP servers the past year or so without any notable incidents does kinda seem like it backs me up, as asshats don't tend to do well in those environments (plus, Bee and Monke are not exactly afraid of doing quality control bans to kick out shitters)

That all sounds completely salient to me, and my conversation with crossedfall tells me about all I really need to know.

I need you to understand that people being removed from the blacklist is exceedingly rare. Blacklisting is supposed to function as an actual, real, full permanent ban from the community as a whole. MSO does not do this lightly, and I respect what that means in general. I might not always agree with MSO, but I think it says a lot that he's willing to give you another chance given everything that happened.

This seems like a risk, but a relatively safe one, in my mind. If Bee was willing to give you another shot and it paid off, I don't see why it wouldn't here.

I will be lifting this ban.

I assume you'd like to be unbanned under the name Absolucy?
Spoiler:

aspen

Post by aspen » #722553

Vekter wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:08 pm
aspen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:02 pm Around 2020~ or so, I kinda... started struggling with mental and emotional turmoil, which led to some issues like the aforementioned doxxing incident (which I am greatly embarrassed about), however due to eventually (irl) properly addressing the issues, and also kinda just generally growing up, I've also emotionally matured. I stopped hanging out with bad influences (like karma), made some genuinely good friend instead, and kinda more... discovered who I am? (am I phrasing that right?) I've tried to become a nicer, better person over time, and while there's been road bumps, I will not claim to be anywhere near perfect, I'd say I've very much improved since my days of shittery.

That all sounds completely salient to me, and my conversation with crossedfall tells me about all I really need to know.

I need you to understand that people being removed from the blacklist is exceedingly rare. Blacklisting is supposed to function as an actual, real, full permanent ban from the community as a whole. MSO does not do this lightly, and I respect what that means in general. I might not always agree with MSO, but I think it says a lot that he's willing to give you another chance given everything that happened.

This seems like a risk, but a relatively safe one, in my mind. If Bee was willing to give you another shot and it paid off, I don't see why it wouldn't here.

I will be lifting this ban.

I assume you'd like to be unbanned under the name Absolucy?
Correct, Absolucy.
aspen

Post by aspen » #722554

Question, is the discord ban separate, or was it just linked to the server ban / blacklist?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #722556

You should be unbanned. I don't know the name of all of your alts, so if you're unable to connect, let me know.
aspen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:14 pm Question, is the discord ban separate, or was it just linked to the server ban / blacklist?
The Discord ban would likely be due to the blacklist, but I cannot remove it. I'll ask the Discord Jannies if they can or if they'd like you to appeal separately.

E: Also, need your Discord name.
Spoiler:

aspen

Post by aspen » #722557

Vekter wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:22 pm You should be unbanned. I don't know the name of all of your alts, so if you're unable to connect, let me know.
aspen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:14 pm Question, is the discord ban separate, or was it just linked to the server ban / blacklist?
The Discord ban would likely be due to the blacklist, but I cannot remove it. I'll ask the Discord Jannies if they can or if they'd like you to appeal separately.

discord name is "absolucy", user id 676185796302077963
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #722560

aspen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:27 pm
Vekter wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:22 pm You should be unbanned. I don't know the name of all of your alts, so if you're unable to connect, let me know.

discord name is "absolucy", user id 676185796302077963
Timber says you're not banned from the Discord and I saw you connect to the servers a moment ago, so we should be good.
Spoiler:

aspen

Post by aspen » #722561

I can't seem to join the discord. Weird. Ugh, prolly some old connected account I forgot about and lost.
aspen

Post by aspen » #722565

my old deleted steamp0rt discord might be banned? the user id for it is 456226577798135808, if that helps.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #722567

I have found no such bans for your old or new userids, even checking the api.

check your emails, and find your accounts. even knowing the time (in utc) the accounts was created will help me in finding it.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
aspen

Post by aspen » #722588

MrStonedOne wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:03 pm I have found no such bans for your old or new userids, even checking the api.

check your emails, and find your accounts. even knowing the time (in utc) the accounts was created will help me in finding it.
i lost most of my past emails in the stupidest way... losing my singular physical yubikey with the 2FA codes. at this point, this seems like mostly a dumb Discord moment, would it be bad to create a secondary Discord account just for the /tg/ discord (with the name absolucy2 or something, so very obvious and not hiding anything), as well, I'd be allowed in the discord normally it seems if Discord wasn't being weird?

Apologies for the trouble >_<
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #722604

It's likely that your IP is catching the ban, quoth the banning page itself; "Bans by default are by account and IP ..."

It's definitely not your current Discord account that's banned, but it is likely to instead be a former Discord account that we've banned and that is still associated with your IP.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
aspen

Post by aspen » #722605

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:20 pm It's likely that your IP is catching the ban, quoth the banning page itself; "Bans by default are by account and IP ..."

It's definitely not your current Discord account that's banned, but it is likely to instead be a former Discord account that we've banned and that is still associated with your IP.
Already tried a different IP, plus my IP is somewhat dynamic and has changed a few times seemingly at random over the past few years.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #722891

Were you ever able to get into the server?
Spoiler:

aspen

Post by aspen » #723004

Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:55 pm Were you ever able to get into the server?
SS13 server? Yep, no problems with that.

Discord? nope, was only going to try the "secondary account only for tg-cord" thing if I was explicitly told that was fine, but nothing else has worked.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #723012

aspen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:03 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:55 pm Were you ever able to get into the server?
SS13 server? Yep, no problems with that.

Discord? nope, was only going to try the "secondary account only for tg-cord" thing if I was explicitly told that was fine, but nothing else has worked.
I don't see an issue with it but let me get with the Discord jannies and see if we can figure something out.

E: What error are you getting when you try to join? Can you look through your emails and see if you can find maybe another account you made at some point?
Spoiler:

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #723023

I'm skeptical just making a new account would work though. As far as we can tell the accounts you've given us aren't banned. So a new account is likely to encounter the same issues.

That being said - since we can't find or tell who banned you I'm just going to assume Discord Jannie authority over your Discord ban.

Since Vekter unbanned you from the game, I shall consider your Discord status as unbanned as well. I will allow you to create a new account and try to join the Discord with that, but if it doesn't work we're back to square one; figuring out which of our Discord bans is causing your issue.
aspen

Post by aspen » #723235

Timberpoes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:43 pm I'm skeptical just making a new account would work though. As far as we can tell the accounts you've given us aren't banned. So a new account is likely to encounter the same issues.

That being said - since we can't find or tell who banned you I'm just going to assume Discord Jannie authority over your Discord ban.

Since Vekter unbanned you from the game, I shall consider your Discord status as unbanned as well. I will allow you to create a new account and try to join the Discord with that, but if it doesn't work we're back to square one; figuring out which of our Discord bans is causing your issue.
it worked. discord username is nofbyhpl, verified with the "Absolucy" ckey. pinged you in the discord too just to verify.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #723246

Rad, I'm closing this up, then. Welcome back and cause no trouble.
Spoiler: