[lollerderby] James Anderson - temp banned for killing antag

Appeals which have been closed.
Digdugxx
Byond Username: Digdugxx

[lollerderby] James Anderson - temp banned for killing antag

Post by Digdugxx » #106907

banned from: The server(s)
Reason: As a medical doctor, crit someone fresh out of cloning and left them to die in an improperly set-up cryo tube because they had the nuke disk in their backpack. Leave the law enforcement to security in the future.
Length: 1440 minutes
Time of ban: 2015-07-24 2:00 (GMT)

My story: The person i killed was a scientist who obviously shouldn't have the nuke disk, i only noticed it after he was picking it up after cloning so before he could get away, i proceeded to crit him so i could recover the disk. I then put his unconscious body into a cryo chamber (the station was having power issues but at the time of placing him into the chamber it was functional and healing him), i then went elsewhere to hand the disk to the the authorities.
Why i should be un-banned or at least have the length brought down:
I fail to see why i couldn't intervene with the traitor since i know that anyone is allowed kill antags; the station at the time was highly damaged so i didn't think sec was available at the time hence why i chose to stop him myself. Even if it is ban-able, i think 24 hours is a bit extreme for what i saw to be the correct thing to do in the situation.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: [lollerderby] James Anderson - temp banned for killing a

Post by oranges » #106991

Also just having the nuke disk isn't enough, because people will often pick it up if a bad captain leaves it lying around.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #106993

peoplearestrange wrote:Antags don't just become KOS. We recently discussed the fact that anyone "valid hunting" (going after/fighting a traitor because you know they are) fall under the same rules as security. There was no reason to crit or kill this person to remove the item, your life wasn't in danger, let alone the fact that you're playing a doctor! What ever happened to the Hippocratic oath...

Even though this a light RP server you should still be playing at least slightly within the role of your job, which is definitely NOT to kill people, particularly in a non life-threatening situation.
I think a 24 hour ban is perfectly reasonable (I could have sworn people weren't able to appeal 24 hours or less bans)
Woah woah woah what.

Antags aren't free game anymore for normal crew?

You're kidding right?
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #107000

I believe they are fair gain unless you gear up at round start and go looking for them and such, then you get secs rules.
But what if that guy did the same thing you did and secured the disk from someone's bag? I don't think that alone can prove you being a traitor unless you see them steal it really.
Laharl Monthy
Byond Username: Laharl Montgommery

Post by Laharl Monthy » #107005

Okay, okay, I think we started off the wrong foot here.

And by that, I mean you guys literally added a third foot to this problem and started on it. Seriously, this is the wrong angle to view this ban from.

As far as I remember, Valid Hunting Antag is okay, but only in the case of a confirmed antag. This rules works for Security, or people looking for valids, or really, anyone. And that rule was defined even before we talked about Validhunting ruling, I believe.

And that's where I'll just quote Oranges on this one :
oranges wrote:Also just having the nuke disk isn't enough, because people will often pick it up if a bad captain leaves it lying around.
Pretty much this. In the appropriate circumstances, anyone can find the nuke disk and appropriate it - fuck, I've seen many clowns carrying one. That doesn't make him valid per se - antag or non-antag. Imagine if it was an non-antag who had the disk? You would have coped the same ban for taking someone out of the round - 24 hours. Now, if he was in possession of a few syndicate items, the doubt was definitely justified.

What you could have done is grab the disk for yourself while he was being cloned, and give it away to the authorities/hide it for later.
Digdugxx
Byond Username: Digdugxx

Post by Digdugxx » #107014

Like i said, i only noticed the disk after he had finished cloning but i get the fact i needed more evidence to be sure he was an antag. Thanks for the replies!
lollerderby
Byond Username: Lollerderby
Github Username: lollerderby

Post by lollerderby » #107022

The scientist wasn't a traitor, and having the nuclear authentication disk doesn't confirm someone as an antagonist. Laharl's pretty much said it all, and it looks like you understand for the future that the evidence was insufficient to justify your actions, so the bans stays and this is resolved.
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, ">rylie talking shit and not actually doing anything again"
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, "What a twist"