Appeals which have been closed.
John Smith
Byond Username: The John Smith

[technoalchemist] TheJohnSmith - Cult Round/Captain

Post by John Smith » #119272

Byond account and character name: TheJohnSmith

Banning admin: technoalchemist

Ban type (What are you banned from?): Job/week ban

Ban reason and length: As captain constructing a death squad and killing everyone in the halls, who was not part of the deathsquad because of an active cult. Absolutely unacceptable behavior. This is a temporary ban, it will be removed in 10080 minutes.

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 1:00am ~ish EST

Your side of the story: During a cult round, playing as the captain, literally every member of the staff I encountered that round in some way attempted to either murder or convert me. Under that rational, I took a small group of security and other loyal personnel and constructed a makeshift deathsquad, with the purpose of ensuring the cult couldn't escape on the shuttle once called. In retrospect, I understand why this behavior is unacceptable.

Why you think you should be unbanned: The job ban on Heads of Staff, I will not contest. The week long ban from the server itself feels excessive. All I'm asking is that you consider shortening or removing that ban. I'll live with the consequences of my actions beyond that.

Edit: Apparently the ban was not for a week, but in fact a month. Yikes. Again, I only ask that you please considering shortening or removing this bad. I am more then willing to keep the job ban.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: [technoalchemist] TheJohnSmith - Cult Round/Captain

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #119274

Yes, making a deathsquad and gunning down everyone in the hallways was horrible behavior. This level of abuse of power and horrible behavior is absurd. However, I will half the ban length. Since you have had relatively good behavior for the last year. If you don't think this reduction is enough, feel free to contact one of the head admins.
John Smith

Post by John Smith » #119275

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Yes, making a deathsquad and gunning down everyone in the hallways was horrible behavior. This level of abuse of power and horrible behavior is absurd. However, I will half the ban length. Since you have had relatively good behavior for the last year. If you don't think this reduction is enough, feel free to contact one of the head admins.
For clarity, is this half the time on one week, or one month?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #119276

John Smith wrote:
TechnoAlchemist wrote:Yes, making a deathsquad and gunning down everyone in the hallways was horrible behavior. This level of abuse of power and horrible behavior is absurd. However, I will half the ban length. Since you have had relatively good behavior for the last year. If you don't think this reduction is enough, feel free to contact one of the head admins.
For clarity, is this half the time on one week, or one month?
One month.
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #119280

Question: was the chaplain alive and well? If so, why the fuck didn't the chaplain deconvert or let you know that deconversion was an option?

I think there should be some liability there on the chaplain's part because that's the chaplain's whole point during cult rounds.

EDIT: unless cult rounds were changed entirely and the chaplain isn't a walking cultist terminator anymore, I haven't played them in a long time.
John Smith

Post by John Smith » #119320

Stan_Studnick wrote:Question: was the chaplain alive and well? If so, why the fuck didn't the chaplain deconvert or let you know that deconversion was an option?

I think there should be some liability there on the chaplain's part because that's the chaplain's whole point during cult rounds.

EDIT: unless cult rounds were changed entirely and the chaplain isn't a walking cultist terminator anymore, I haven't played them in a long time.
The chaplain was a member of the death squad. When I proposed the death squad, he didn't mention that the only item needed for deconversion was the holy water. The rest of the staff in the death squad did not object either. We're talking about a lawyer, the HoS, Warden, few sec members, and I think maybe one other civilian job who we gave a loyalty implant. Not that I would want anyone to serve the same ban I am, but I have to ask why if they we're complicit in the act that I would be the only one charged.

I might as well use this as an opportunity to explain my ignorance of cults, and what lead me to the conclusion that forming a death squad was a good idea. I was working under the assumption that you needed loyalty chips to deconvert. This was what you needed the last time I played a cult round, which I will admit myself was some time ago. I knew the the chaplian played an important role in fighting the cult, but I thought it had to do with his null rod dealing massive damage or his holy book exposing cultists or something. I was not aware that his holy water could be used to deconvert.

Add this to the fact that I have been attacked by literally every crew member other then sec that round. The HoP, Cargo, Science, the RD, few random civilian jobs. I wasn't sure how fast cults spread, but I knew that a large portion of the station was trying to kill me, and that by comparison during a rev or gang round, you would be hard pressed to find someone who wasn't converted and still breathing. The AI all the while is warning us that different parts of the station are showing high cult activity. Just before the dethsquad was official, it was shouting that medbay was being fucked.

Adding all of this into context, I'm thinking under the assumption that even if I start mass arresting people, I have no way of deconverting them. I know that I can't allow the cult to leave on the shuttle. At that point I'm only left with two options. I could enter the station nuke code or I could just start shooting anything that isn't loyal. I didn't want to resort to the nuke. Add that to my list of mistakes.

Lets say that the chaplin manage to explain to me that he could deconvert people. That would have been better, but then we are stuck with a situation where we can deconver people, but the second we let them back out, they could get converted again because cargo was against us, and there was no way we were going to get loyalty implants. At this point you're arguing over throwing deconverted innocents into the perma bring for their own protection for the rest of the round, or just letting them go to get converted again, which I wasn't going to do anyway. From that perspective I was in a catch 22. Any alternative risked prolonging the round to a ridiculous degree or ending it right there an then.

I'm not trying to justifying my actions. I know what I did was wrong and I'm willing to learn for my mistakes. The head ban will give me time to better learn the game before I try to appeal for those positions again. I've had the server ban shorted from One month, to two weeks, down to one week. ausops gave me the impression that was as good as it was going to get. I'm probably pushing any good grace I might have here, but I honestly feel like the server ban on top of a permanent head job ban isn't doing anyone any justice. I ruined some people's fun for maybe 30 minuets, an hour at most. I don't see at all why this should equal to me having my fun ruined for a week, or the other longer periods before that. Maybe that's just my raging autism, but I will continue to be of the disposition that the server ban isn't teaching me anything that I haven't already admitted was wrong and willing to learn from, except maybe how shit other code bases are.

I've got a bit of history with this server, and a really unhealthy love for this game. The other codebases/servers are shit, and I have literally no life right now. Please consider my plea.

tl;dr pls unban muh speess mahreeeeeens
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #119368

We're possibly doing you a favour, many of us know how it is to have ss13 wreck our lives and a week long break is nice.

In the event that you are unable to achieve escape velocity within a week, feel free to come back and play non-head roles and then make an appeal later down the track.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.