Appeals which have been closed.
arstic
Byond Username: Arstic

[jud1c470r] HUMAN ANNIHLATOR - meta accusation

Post by arstic » #119826

Byond account and character name: Arstic - HUMAN ANNIHLATOR

Banning admin: jud1c470r

Ban type: Temporary

Ban reason and length: Found out about changelings whilst dead and waiting to be borged, alerted people as a borg then spent the round searching for lings in maint. 24h

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2015-09-19 21:46:23 server time

Your side of the story: In robootics, getting brain extracted, caught changeling hivemind talk during the seconds as just a brain. Said "warning, changelings" when MMI'd, then forgot about it completely. Got borged in tech storage because no power cells in robotics. Chose engiborg and aimlessly wandered around a bit. Screwed with the servi-borg HUMAN KILLER a bit. AI, "B.u.T.T.M.A.D." ordered all borgs to sweep engineering maint, went about that, *bwoink*Admin PM from-Jud1c470r: hey man, mind telling me how you found out there were changelings?" "PM to-Admins: Got borged, intercepted telepathy," continued sweeping, briefly discussed the purifying nature of fire with the atmos techs running the incinerator, went back to following the AI's "sweep engineering maint" order, hit toxins junction, find one scientist stunbatoning 2-3 other people, AI orders me to flash him, I flash him, sec rolls in and cleans up. Stick with sec detachment, say "Bwoink" to roboticist as I pass through, *bwoink* Admin PM from-Jud1c470r: Using information gained whilst dead is considered meta. Don't do it again." HoS goes into crit, rush him to medbay, get him in cryo, hes recovering, banned.

Why you think you should be unbanned: The way I see it, I got banned for following the AI's orders. Its just 24h, but its still kinda shit and felt random and unavoidable. As once an admin gets in their head you're metagaming, and has a mind to do something about that, the only way to avoid a ban is to spend the rest of the round in the bar. Or, as an engi-borg, turn off your radio and wire solars.

Not to mention whether or not acting/relaying "dead/ghost intel" is meta depends on variables outside of human cognition. As I've heard every possible interpretation and they're all conflicting, and more than once conflicting interpretations from the same admin. Hell, even the rules basically say anything caught in character can be acted upon.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: [jud1c470r] HUMAN ANNIHLATOR - meta accusation

Post by Saegrimr » #119844

The rest of the story doesn't even matter past the point where you said "warning, changelings" in an MMI.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #119847

Yeah, although this could have probably been left as a warning, you fucked up, it's a valid ban.
arstic
Byond Username: Arstic

Post by arstic » #119859

Care to point out where in the rules using in character knowledge is meta?

Besides, the point you're both skipping is the part where the ban wasn't just for blurting out about changelings. jud1c470r specifically stated it was for "metagamging." As in rolling around maint "looking for changelings."
PickleInspector
Byond Username: PickleInspector

Post by PickleInspector » #119863

Your aggressive lack of understanding makes me think this isn't going to be your first trip to FNR. Metagaming pertains to things your character, ingame, in character, would not know. Ghosts are effectively OOC, which is why deadchat is not subject to OOC in IC rules.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #119874

arstic wrote:Care to point out where in the rules using in character knowledge is meta?
That's the problem, its not in-character knowledge.

When you're a brain, you're dead. You're effectively a ghost that can't actually move around because you're still tied to an object, which is why you still get dead chat and the normal options of hearing everything going on because lings carrying around a box of brains would be incredibly boring for those players without being able to whine about being dead in deadchat.

When you alerted everybody to the presences of lings, you took OOC information and spoiled it for everybody else, the AI included. The AI having you sweep maint for lings is based on YOUR information that you pulled from dead chat.

There is no gray area here, no variables or interpretation. You've even admitted that you got information from OOC sources and used them IC, but you don't see this as a problem?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #119891

>Not to mention whether or not acting/relaying "dead/ghost intel" is meta depends on variables outside of human cognition. As I've heard every possible interpretation and they're all conflicting, and more than once conflicting interpretations from the same admin. Hell, even the rules basically say anything caught in character can be acted upon.

from which admin
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #119928

Saegrimr wrote:
arstic wrote: When you alerted everybody to the presences of lings, you took OOC information and spoiled it for everybody else, the AI included. The AI having you sweep maint for lings is based on YOUR information that you pulled from dead chat.
AI here. Don't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure I had them sweep maint because another crew member was checking suit sensors and saw that the CMO(?) was dead in engineering maint.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #119929

Atlanta-Ned wrote:AI here. Don't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure I had them sweep maint because another crew member was checking suit sensors and saw that the CMO(?) was dead in engineering maint.
Was going off information assumed by the OP. Clears things up but all in all
Saegrimr wrote:The rest of the story doesn't even matter past the point where you said "warning, changelings" in an MMI.
lollerderby
Byond Username: Lollerderby
Github Username: lollerderby

Post by lollerderby » #120828

This ban has long since expired and wasn't going to be lifted anyway.
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, ">rylie talking shit and not actually doing anything again"
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, "What a twist"