Shadowlight213 - Zaross

Appeals which have been closed.
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Shadowlight213 - Zaross

Post by Doritos » #139275

Byond account and character name: Zaross / Dante Smith
Banning admin: Shadowlight213 (Why do I need to post the admin's name/my name again when they're both in the title?)
Ban type (What are you banned from?):Serverban.
Ban reason and length: Image
Time ban was placed (including time zone): ^
Your side of the story: Story begins 40~ or so minutes into the round. Previous bits are irrelevant. I become a wizard defender and go grab the wand of fireball and the soul stone, kill some dude(I think the chaplain), soul stoned then polymorphed his shade into a mediborg. Then I built a bed and ordered the mediborg to remove my implant. Then I went through the gateway, and ended up fire balling myself and a drone who body blocked the fireball. While I'm unconcious I get admingibbed by Shadowlight, then he gets EXTREMELY asspained about the HORRIBLE(literally nothing) thing I did and tries to job ban me from being a wizard academy defender(lmao), deletes both gateways(trapping a couple dudes on the away mission) then tries to disable the wizard academy from even being an option that the server can choose, then finally day bans me.
Why you think you should be unbanned: The ban is retarded on a bunch of different levels. It's also a lie, considering how I didn't hurt ANYONE while I was on the station.
1.)Literally did nothing wrong.
I shouldn't even need more reasons this ban is just so fucking stupid LOL
2.)My objective is to defend the academy. What better way than to go through the gateway and kill everyone there? ; )

Now the appeal gets ignored for 24 hours anyway so he doesn't have to unban me wew laddie.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Shadowlight213 - Zaross

Post by DemonFiren » #139278

tbh going back on station with intent to murderbone as a defender strikes me as phenomenally shitty thing to do
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #139279

The thing is, you consciously utilized an exploit to gain a massive advantage by bypassing a restriction built into a role to use it for a free antag outside the real it was made for.
The reason why I didn't simply jobban you from ghost roles for it was Kor didn't make the defender check for jobbans.
It actually seemed like you killed more people as a number of explosions went off right before you exited the gateway and I assumed you had caused them with fireball.
As for the ban, I'm standing behind it as what you did was kinda meta, really dickish, and EXTREMELY abusable. I saw other ghosts talking about abusing it as well to get on station, hence deleting the gateway and disabling the mission. Had the drone not been there, you would have gone on a killing spree, that much is obvious by you fireballing.
Doritos

Post by Doritos » #139280

It's surgery. What part of that is an exploit?

And yeah I know I'm not going to be able to convince you to not be retarded. I'm going to have to wait for a headmin to get on.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #139281

If he's the first one to find this exploit I don't think it's fair to ban him for it.

That and it's clever enough to warrant a bit of leeway. These weird interactions make ss13 interesting and banning people for experimenting cleverly isn't really in the spirit of things.

This sounds to me like something people should have laughed about for a round before it was labelled an exploit and fixed.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #139284

The exploit part is using it to remove your exile implant for an antag that's not allowed to go on station and is prevented from doing so by the implant.
What you did was a concern that was brought up when the defenders were originally added and it was assumed that there would be no way for someone to do what you did.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #139285

I didn't even code it why do you keep blaming me for this
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #139286

It's a fine line between exploit and clever strategy though. Just because something is unintentional doesn't make it instantly bankable.

"Very funny, don't do it again" is a far more reasonable response than immediate punishment.

Just ban Kor instead
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #139287

Kor you did code it though. You coded the ghost corpse spawners.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #139289

Honestly, I think a more necessary reason for the ban would be to get Dante to cool it when it comes to finding every excuse he can just to murder the fuck it of as many players as he can as soon as he gets the opportunity. It gets old and takes the fun out of the game.

Shit someone on Singulo linked to his previous permaban appeal where he promised not to do this kind of shit anymore and he's right back at it.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2016
I've learned not to kill everyone every round when I'm an antagonist because that's perhaps not so fun for the people I murder.
Last edited by Jacough on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #139290

palpatine213 wrote:Kor you did code it though. You coded the ghost corpse spawners.
https://github.com/AnturK/-tg-station/b ... Academy.dm

I have never even changed the file in question.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #139292

This is what I'm blaming you for. You didn't make it check for jobbans.
Pretty sure it says KorPhaeron on it.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12848
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #139293

Since I just linked the file in question for the commit that added it, I dunno how much more explicit I can make it short of screencapping and underlining everything so I'm just gonna go back to sleep instead.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #139294

Yeah. Didn't see that it was a different thing. My bad.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #139301

Not really an exploit but it does go against the whole spirit of the away mission, you have the implant for a reason zaross.

This should be upgraded to a full antag ban rather than a server ban though.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #139303

I don't see how this isn't abusing a loophole for a free license to griff. Obviously the defenders are meant to defend the away mission and not use it as an opportunity to enact super murderbone #524 on station, and saying that "oh well he wasn't specifically told not to go murder a shitload of people on station despite having an implant specifically preventing that and the role clearly being meant to stay on the away mission" is pretty damn naive.

Like you can either deal with the player problem here of people looking for any shitty excuse they can dig up to kill a bunch of people with super powerful gear, or we can shrug our shoulders and say that this specific shitty thing wasn't on the shitlist and add another overly specific entry to our textbook of a rules page for next time.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #139442

>Emergent gameplay.
Doritos

Post by Doritos » #139453

Ban has expired and I'm antag banned now so move this to admin complaints./Consider this a jobban appeal.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #139465

Far as I'm aware, you need to successfully appeal the bans regarding an issue before you can turn it into a proper complaint. But that's just an issue of where this thread is and not a commentary on its contents.
RIP
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #139473

I'm going to look at this as a typical result that happens in any game in a constant beta. Chances are you were about to murderbone after getting your antag license, if the 'defend by attacking ;;^^)))))' posts are anything to go by and that would have been a straight rule 1 violation that has since been dealt with by the natural expiration of your server ban. The antag ban can be lifted.

I will suggest not finding yourself in situations like this again though, where you show a tendency to go over the line with dicking over other players.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.