[Saegrimr] - Repukan - Phantom Box

Appeals which have been closed.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

[Saegrimr] - Repukan - Phantom Box

Post by D&B » #200688

Byond account and character name: Repukan - Dolce Gabbana

Banning admin: Saegrimr
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Servers (Both Basil and Sybil)

Ban reason and length: Caused a server crash with the black box, used a spell book to summon magic and 3x wizard events, recalled the black box with a spell after I moved it to figure out what the crash was about yelling "I CUCKED YOU GODS" IC. 7 Days ban

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2016-07-23, 23:05:48

Your side of the story: Started game as miner, see GPS and notice fiery, angelic and bloody signals. Since there's a shared project of putting as much OP stuff as possible in the black box, I kill the drake to secure immunity to the ash storms and then kill the colossus. I talk with another miner about letting him check the contents (since he was impressed with what he saw inside) when I take out a spellbook (the kind wizards use to buy spells) to buy stuff to put into the box.

Server crashes for a good 3 minutes or so, and I reconnect to show the miner the thing. Since almost all magic armament and artifacts are inside the box, I move into using the guns and magic effect, and some events since the shuttle was less than 1 minute away from getting in. In fact, by the time I finished using the book, the shuttle had docked.

I explain in the bwoink (which asked if I tried to destroy the black box) that I was not destroying it, just using a spellbook. As the other miner moves in to check on the box, it dissapears. I recall it using a trick in game surrounding the instant summons spells and containers, and jokingly yell "I CUCKED YOU GODS." I'm not even BAS'd, simply removed from the game.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I haven't done anything antagonistic, nor have I shot anyone. I have not used the spells to kill anyone, nor did I use the items inside to harm. The bug was something experienced before with other admins, and they took no action towards it or against me. Only once was I questioned about why it crashed, and i explained that in that occasion, I had put in a wand belt. I have no exact idea on what causes the crash, since there's been times where I have NOT used the spellbook, and it still caused a crash. Honestly, I feel like this is an overreaction to what is commonly dubbed as banter.

Also, I wish to extend this. Rather than being unbanned, I request Bagil's black box be not cleared of items. It took a lot of time, by a lot of players, to put everything inside. It is the closes thing we have to a commonly worked towards goal. Don't shit on the players effort, please.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Re: [Saegrimr] - Repukan - Phantom Box

Post by Owegno » #200690

I could of sworn I told you not to do this two days ago but I may of forgotten to since you were being so coy about it so that I had no idea what exactly you did other than "magic".

Still you knew very well that this caused over a minute of lag so why would you do it again?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #200691

I didn't touch any of the items in the black box aside from what you have pulled out yourself.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
D&B

Post by D&B » #200692

Owegno wrote:I could of sworn I told you not to do this two days ago but I may of forgotten to since you were being so coy about it so that I had no idea what exactly you did other than "magic".

Still you knew very well that this caused over a minute of lag so why would you do it again?
Except you didn't?

You told me you found something in the code that was leading to the crash, and I told you what I did at that time (putting the wand belt in) and then steered away from that item.

And I still don't know what EXACTLY causes it. I know using the tarot decks doesn't, since I always use one when I get the box, but eventually it crashes for one or other reason.
D&B

Post by D&B » #200693

Saegrimr wrote:I didn't touch any of the items in the black box aside from what you have pulled out yourself.
Thanks
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #200694

D&B wrote:
Owegno wrote:I could of sworn I told you not to do this two days ago but I may of forgotten to since you were being so coy about it so that I had no idea what exactly you did other than "magic".

Except you didn't?

You told me you found something in the code that was leading to the crash, and I told you what I did at that time (putting the wand belt in) and then steered away from that item.
I didn't say I found anything in the code, I just knew that something you did caused it to delete and I still have zero idea how putting a wand belt in would cause that. And I guess I forgot, whoops.
D&B

Post by D&B » #200695

Owegno wrote:
D&B wrote:

Except you didn't?

I didn't say I found anything in the code, I just knew that something you did caused it to delete and I still have zero idea how putting a wand belt in would cause that. And I guess I forgot, whoops.
Some players a few days ago were talking about how some admins deleted some items that were in there. Apparently, they had put debug Ratvar cult items that had gotten added in, and that there were some invisible "walls" or something. I haven't noticed them, since every time I open the box it only shows the items we've put in so far.
Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #200697

Some admins placed debug items and other unobtainable objects/items which could be the cause of this.

I don't really see why he should be punished for something the admins/coders/whatever probably did.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #200700

The one time I know an admin put items inside they were removed the very next round, and this was right after the blackbox was added. Also none of that matters to this.
D&B

Post by D&B » #200707

Owegno wrote:The one time I know an admin put items inside they were removed the very next round, and this was right after the blackbox was added. Also none of that matters to this.
Truth is, we still don't know what exactly caused the crash. If I did cause a crash, then there's something in the box or an interaction with it that caused it. I have no coding experience, nor have I spent an unlimited time fondling the box so as to learn and know all its secrets.

I could tell you what I do know, so far, as my interactions with it go. But pertaining to the actions taken, I personally believe that the magical events and gun spawning were not THAT serious since the round was basically over. It's not like I used a dark seed, or a vial of blood/tickles.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #200710

So I just got to check the list of shit in the black box. Dear god. http://pastebin.com/hUQ9Fkb2

Unless Kor or headmins want to empty it for reasons, or coder memes break it, i'm not gonna touch it unless it turns out there's something in it that's causing crashes specifically.

Also gonna reduce the ban to 1 day but please leave the mass wizard mayhem to antags, and don't do
[02:52:49]SAY: Dolce Gabbana/Repukan : I CUCKED YOU GODS
[02:52:50]SAY: Dolce Gabbana/Repukan : EAT OT
either right after
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #200732

I recall it using a trick in game surrounding the instant summons spells and containers
I would very much like you to explain this trick please.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #200734

Pretty sure if your recall target is in a container it just teleports the container to you. I remember doing this with a bag of holding a long time ago.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #200742

This bug has been found and fixed, https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/19698

This person wasn't even exactly the cause, basically every time another colossus died after the first, if there were multiple, the dropped blackbox would delete itself (because there was another), then after deleting itself, spawn the items inside of itself, when the garbage collector when to see if it could be soft or hard deleted, the items inside of it kept it from being soft deleted, so it told byond to hard delete the blackbox. byond hard deleted the box, and every item inside of it. Each hard delete can take up to 0.9 seconds. The 100some items inside of the box took a while to hard delete.

This normally doesn't happen because when queuing an item for deletion, its contents is dropped on the floor or soft deleted some other way, but since this added the items after queuing for deletion, that didn't happen.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
D&B

Post by D&B » #200750

oranges wrote:
I recall it using a trick in game surrounding the instant summons spells and containers
I would very much like you to explain this trick please.
Instant summons marks the item to return. If said item is put inside a container, the container will be teleported to you.

Mark a double e-sword, wait for the HoS to put it into his backpack, shower in tasers and lasers.

Also, thanks Saegrimr. I'd gladly take that, I'll accept that was out of line.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #200820

Also edited the ban reason to reflect what MSO put in, that you were uninvolved with the crash. Though I do wonder where/how a second colossus died when both of you were standing next to the box of loot.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #200836

it would have been 5-15 minutes earlier that it died, the hard delete timer can be long if the qdel system is getting throttled because other things want to run. its lower than atmos on priority.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW: