Byond Username: Ausops

[HBL] ausops - sec jobban

Post by imblyings » #16765

Byond account and character name: ausops, not sure what name

Banning admin: hbl

Time ban was placed (including time zone): no idea

Your side of the story:

>Joined as late-join hos on artyom.
>Everything silent, it turns out to be just ionospheric anomaly, get in touch with command staff/acting HoS
>Hear something about a traitor being caught, go to find out more
>See traitor in question teleport into perma, while another scientist runs out of perma
>Scientist gets caught, has all access
>Not sure how to act on Artyom because the server acts completely different to Sibyl, figure that Artyom regulars do things differently which might explain the scientist having all access, decide to just let him go after making a joke about publicly humiliating him and taking his ID.
>Second scientist reveals science must have access to command chat or something, begins to threaten sec with bombs etc, begins harassing sec over the radio
>Bitchfest over the radio makes me severely regret going on Artyom to play spessmen at this point- I'm also suffering from incredibly weird lag where I get acceptable pings but the actual controls and responsiveness is absolutely atrocious.
>Meanwhile I'm talking to the traitor, not only does he listen, he's a great listener.
>Second scientist continues to threaten bombs, continues to compete with the lag to make the game unplayable.
>A few random people also chip in with the sec hate.
>Second scientist eventually backs off after explaining things to them after the third or so time but at this point I don't want to be in the same server as them.
>Eventually DC around twice and the lag isn't getting better.
>Game not fun anymore. Don't want to deal with the lag, do not want to deal with science.
>All this time, the traitor just listens and speaks to me occasionally, plays along with my conversation with him, and generally acts like someone who I'd enjoy playing with.
>Make the decision to stop playing and give the traitor a second chance.
>Let the traitor out, egg him on to kill at least someone but to not kill the other sec person, strip myself and log off.

I did nothing wrong tbqh.

There was no way I could have continued playing with the lag that I had and given the unwarranted harassment and the all-access, possibly armed, group of other players on the server, I wouldn't have wanted to continue playing anyway. Were this a ban placed on Sibyl, had I given gear and equipment to a completely random traitor, on a server with little to no sec, I would have taken this ban without complaint but this was on Artyom, where people were already running around with all-access and with a traitor that hadn't displayed any previous violent tendencies and seemed to be an okay person.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Re: [HBL] ausops - sec jobban

Post by KingLouisXIV » #16772

imblyings wrote:
>All this time, the traitor just listens and speaks to me occasionally, plays along with my conversation with him, and generally acts like someone who I'd enjoy playing with.
>Make the decision to stop playing and give the traitor a second chance.
>Let the traitor out, egg him on to kill at least someone but to not kill the other sec person, strip myself and log off.

I did nothing wrong tbqh.
I was the observing admin during this round, and I'm sorry that I had missed this.

This is exactly what you did wrong, (in the quote) and why you got banned in the first place. As the Head of Security, you really shouldn't be giving confirmed traitors spontaneous freedom, let alone your ID and all of your equipment. You were not only banned for this, but for deciding to suicide/logout as a head of staff. For all command positions, there is a giant bolded message asking you to ahelp if you want to log out in the middle of a round. Because of your actions, Volker walked free and his re-arrest caused an already tense situation with Security and the crew to escalate further than it needed to. This entire round in question was a clusterfuck, an example where no adminhelps were given but action should have been taken.

Elynia and HBL can likely chip in more about the round.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #16824

Louis' got it pretty on the mark here; your 'he doesn't seem harmful' wouldn't hold up normally but especially when, as you yourself admit, you egged him on to kill people. And then fucked off yourself. That is absurd to the point of not getting to play Security anymore, sorry. Honestly I'm considering a full Head jobban as well if this is is the way you deal with authority roles, but one incident may be way too small of a data set.

This wasn't in any way acceptable, this was textbook abuse of, and then dereliction of, your position. Not only that, but even the random chatter you spewed about humilating people gave them, what they felt, was further ammo to uprise against Sec. Which was unacceptable, but it's much tougher to explain that to Artyom regulars when they hear, or hear others saying you said, that kind of stuff.

TLDR: You made a bad situation worse and then wasted the HoS slot and did a bunch of things that we always tell Sec not to do. Your job is to protect the non-antags from the obvious antags, essentially. Or more broadly to protect the crew and stuff. I'm not saying laser all traitors on sight even if they have a balloon but this is over the line.

This'll stay on for a bit, I'm thinking.
RIP
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #16851

mm that's okay
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #16894

Alright, thanks for being reasonable about it. That definitely does come into account for appeals and stuff, for the future.
RIP