Appeals which have been closed.
Mindustry
Byond Username: Mindustry

[dennyb] XXX BIG DICK NIGGA XXX - Banned for sword name

Post by Mindustry » #230711

Byond account and character name: Mindustry, XXX BIG DICK NIGGA XXX

Banning admin: Dennyb

Ban type (What are you banned from?): Sybil

Ban reason and length: "Second time I've had to do this. Please come back with a better name than [your name]. Next time is longer." 15 min

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 9:53 PST

Your side of the story: First off, this is the first ban I've copped in a LONG time, so the whole "Second time I've had to do this" thing I don't understand, perhaps it wasn't meant for me.
I was a possessed blade in the hands of the Chaplain who's god was Kanye, so I chose my name to be XXX BIG DICK NIGGA XXX. I thought it would be alright seeing as I was just a sword, no real naming policy for them or anything.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I was a sword, I don't believe I should be punished for just picking a funny name for a sword. Especially when there was no admin PM about it or anything, just jumped straight to ban.

I know it's ridiculous to appeal a 15min ban, but still
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Re: [dennyb] XXX BIG DICK NIGGA XXX - Banned for sword name

Post by Fiz Bump » #230720

Alright, first off. I 15 minute banned someone just two days ago for having your EXACT same name.I find it difficult to believe that it is a coincidence.
Second, please wait until the round in progress has finished before appealing a ban, as doing otherwise is considered to be revealing details relating to the round in progress.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
Fiz Bump

Post by Fiz Bump » #230724

Actually, after diving through ban logs, it seems the other guy I banned was XXX THE ALPHA NIGGER XXX. So not exactly the same.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #230728

Tangentially related but I think it's kind of shitty that he can't appeal this without IC in OOC because if it's a valid appeal then the ban is removed from his record but if he just lets it expire he can't appeal it meaning he has a dumb mark on his record

We should really have some kind of system for appealing bans after they've expired so they don't stick to your record like this
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #230729

Why is name policy applying to swords in the first place
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #230736

play dumb games win dumb prizes

don't make yourself valid to admins and admins won't valid you
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #230739

iamgoofball wrote:Why is name policy applying to swords in the first place
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #230743

the name policy can apply to whatever admins want it to apply to, including a talking sword with the name XXX BIG DICK NIGGA XXX

seriously this is the behaviour of someone under 18.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #230792

The lesson to be learned from this is to identity ban goofball.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Mindustry
Byond Username: Mindustry

Post by Mindustry » #230900

Fiz Bump wrote:I find it difficult to believe that it is a coincidence.
If you did any actual checking before you banned me, you would have found out a lot sooner that it actually was a coincidence.
Fiz Bump wrote:Second, please wait until the round in progress has finished before appealing a ban, as doing otherwise is considered to be revealing details relating to the round in progress.
Please point out in my post where I revealed anything actually important about the round. It's pretty ridiculous to play this card when you know the ban is 15 min and the round is going to last the entirety of that.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #230965

If the issue is the ban was under the [incorrect] assumption that you were someone else, we can get that fixed no problem.

dennyb ... Last edit by excessiveuseofcobby (Click here to see edit log)
Banned for 15 minutes - Second time I've had to do this. Please come back with a better name than XXX BIG DICK NIGGA XXX. Next time the ban will be longer. This ban was under the assumption he was someone else, but I'm keeping it here in the case that he has a meme name again.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Fiz Bump

Post by Fiz Bump » #230974

Sorry, I was going to come in and say that I could edit the note for you next time I'm online, to reflect that it was placed under a false assumption. But I had to run some errands.
Thanks for covering that Cobby.
I play Fiz Bump.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #230979

Generally, even if you don't think it reveals much content, you shouldn't specify anything related to the IC round in OOC platforms. That could mean the OOC chat, forums or IRC network.
Moving on, naming policy does apply to anything that you opt to name yourself. Generally excessively OOC names, such as the aforementioned one, fall under violation of that. While the banning admin should have messaged you, I am under the belief that they did not do so as they mistook you for a second time offender. While this doesn't really excuse a lack of messaging you, I hope that can perhaps clear up what happened there.

If you absolutely must talk to an admin about an IC issue while the round is still ongoing, please bring it up with them privately on the forums or IRC network. Please do not use public forums (ban appeals) or public irc networks (#supportbus) if the round is still ongoing.

As for PKPenguin, you can always appeal to have a note removed by generally asking the involved party.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #230991

Fiz Bump wrote:Sorry, I was going to come in and say that I could edit the note for you next time I'm online, to reflect that it was placed under a false assumption. But I had to run some errands.
Thanks for covering that Cobby.
No problem love :heart:
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current