Snerdly
Byond Username: Snerdly

Cadence Meme - Murdering with a fire axe for no reason

Post by Snerdly » #129477

Your byond account: snerdly
Your character name: Milk Milkie
Their character name: Cadence Meme
Their byond account(optional, but useful if you can provide it):
Server and time: Bagil, around 5:25 pm central standard time.
Logs and/or screenshots: My BYOND crashed after I adminhelped. Unable to provide any.
Description of what happened: I had a fire axe from atmospherics, and I smashed a window into the R and D lab. As I was about to enter, Cadence Meme, a scientist, came out of nowhere, disarmed me, and then proceeded to murder me with the fire axe. I got away, nearly dead, and she followed. I slipped her with some soap, grabbed the axe, and fought back. Somehow, she was able to get up and disarm me -again-, this time putting me into crit and then attempting to debrain me so I couldn't be cloned until the rest of the crew was calling her out on it.
Why they should be banned: Murdered me for no reason other than breaking into an area.
PickleInspector
Byond Username: PickleInspector

Re: Cadence Meme - Murdering with a fire axe for no reason

Post by PickleInspector » #129485

I told her to get you cloned and apologize, but you IC'd in OOC before they were able. I'd much rather see a resolution between two people than tossing a banhammer.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #129487

Hey, I play Cadence. Sorry about that.
The round's still in progress, but I've been advised to get my side in now. Also, your BYOND crashing when it adminhelps? Go to Preferences (when you boot BYOND), then turn graphics hardware off. It'll look awful, but it fixes the problem. (It happens to me too, but I keep graphics on, because it looks that bad. Seriously.)

Round in progress. Don't open this if you're playing right now.
Spoiler:
We'll start with the obvious - why did I axe you into crit and MMI you? It'd help if I arranged a timeline, I suppose. (Also, your name is Cake Cakie, not Milk Milkie, I believe?) Let's try...
The timeline:
Spoiler:
* Cake Cakie, Chaplain, smashes the south R&D window, but is driven off by Janette, the hulk Geneticist, whilst I'm working in Xenobiology.
* I, Cadence Meme (Scientist), move from Xenobiology to Research, trying to fix the machines. I close the south shutters, but not the northwest ones.
* Cake takes a fire axe from Atmospherics and moves to R&D's northwest windows, wordlessly smashing the ones where the table is. He then climbs onto the table.
* I take the fire axe and hit him four times with it, moving down the Escape hallway with him. I axe him why he broke in, to no avail.
* He slips me with a bar of soap and picks the fire axe back up, hitting me with it four times.
* Fortuitously, I get back up, pick up the soap and move north a few tiles, throwing the soap beneath him as he walks forward.
* He slips on the soap, and I pick up the axe and hit him again, sending him into crit.
* I tell the station that he "tried to break in and attack me, so I axed him why". A few people seem to approve (of the pun, or of the retaliation, I'm not sure).
* I move to Medical Foyer and heal myself (using the only supplies on the counter), then return for Cake.
* I call the Detective to Robotics so he can question the MMI (not yet made).
* I drag his body to Robotics and begin debraining and MMI-ing, wherein I am questioned by a stealthmin (Pickle).
* I explain my reasoning to Pickle, who suggests that I have him cloned and apologise. I agree to this.
* Snerdly posts in OOC that my actions were inappropriate (using language I won't repeat), links this thread, then leaves. The MMI is unresponsive.
* The Detective arrives and takes the MMI; at my imploring, he takes the body as well, and promises to clone him after the interrogation.
* I inquire as to Cake's status, and am told he isn't responding in the interrogation - so I can't apologise for axing him.
* I give my ID to another crewmember, make my excuses, and leave to answer this.
Spoiler:
So the question is - why did I attack you with your fire axe, rather than detaining you nonlethally?
As Pickle pointed out, there were other options I should've taken, such as calling Security or handling you less dangerously. As I pointed out to them at the time, Security wouldn't have been able to arrive in less than five seconds (the approximate time it takes to climb a table and start axing someone) - as a frequent Security player myself, I can attest that travelling across the station takes time. Furthermore, as a Scientist, I didn't have access to weaponry, lethal or not - I don't make stunprods for self-defence, and the flamethrower I made earlier in the shift was deconstructed for Plasma 2. We didn't have firing pins available (we had a crate, but it was locked), and I didn't print any weaponry. Upon hindsight, I had the following options:

* Use the fire axe
* Neckgrab you when you climbed the table, take and secure your fire axe, then make cablecuffs and restrain you
* Call Security, lock the Research console, and run, leaving you in R&D (but unable to print anything)

The first option was the one I went for, clearly. I then took you to Robotics to safely question your MMI, and allow the Detective to do the same. (Note that, had you not attacked me in the hall - which I don't mind, since that's escalation - I'd have made cablecuffs, then healed you and sent you to Security.)

The second option would've been much more advisable, but didn't occur to me in the heat of the moment. I'm sorry for that, and in hindsight, that's what I'd have done. The third option would have also minimised casualties, but would've meant you'd keep the axe. I'd bet on a .38 revolver against a fire axe any day, but as a Scientist, I had little wish to see my R&D lab be smashed apart.

It's not my place to question why you had an axe in the first place, nor why you chose to smash the windows rather than ask to be let in - I can only answer for my actions, and I hope this has proved sufficient. It's been taxeing on me as well, so I think I'll wait the rest of the round out.

Again, I'm sorry your round was cut short like that, and that I escalated to the maxeimum level without first giving you fair warning to cut it out. I hope that we can bury the hatchet here. I'm not sorry for the axe puns, though, those are great.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #129686

Sounds like an admin already dealt with it, or tried to anyway.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #129948

>break into rnd with a fireaxe
>blows get exchanged
>surprised when someone ends up dying

we should have installed safety edges on those things
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.