Prevent lizards from signing up as Heads

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Which config setting should we use?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:18 pm

Allow lizards to sign up as Heads of Staff
7%
7%
7%
Block lizards from signing up as Heads of Staff
24%
24%
24%
No Opinion
2%
No Opinion
2%
No Opinion
2%

Total votes: 288

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: [Poll] Prevent lizards from signing up as Heads

Post by cedarbridge » #61864

Bottom post of the previous page:

Maccus wrote:Lizards are literally defined as subhuman. Black people are not
By whom where? If you're going to claim that something is defined a certain way that is clearly being contested, you should probably cite something to show that definition. Again, Not Human != Sub-human.

Also, you're mixing players playing lizards with the lizards as characters. I'm not my character, but I play a character. That doesn't make me a lizard, nor does it mean I want to be a lizard. It means I want to play a character that is a lizard.

Lizards being lizards is a defining racial identity for lizard characters. Being black is a defining racial trait for black people. I'm not sure why that's hard to follow really. I mean, if you want to be racist that's entirely up to you, but running around screaming "omg furries lol" because lizards is about as dumb as doing it about klingons or blacks.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Re: Prevent lizards from signing up as Heads

Post by Loonikus » #61865

Saying lizards are a race is a bit of a misuse of the word race. They are a different species.

Think of it like this. Lets say black people are Pit Bulls and white people are Golden Retrievers. Both are very different from each other, and they are different breeds with different qualities, but they are both still dogs no matter how different they seem. Likewise, blacks and whites may be different in many ways, but they are simply different breeds of the same species.

Continuing with the dog analogy, lets bring in a cat to represent the lizard. Do dogs and cats both have fur? Yes. Do dogs and cats both have four legs? Yes. Are cats dogs? No. Cats are not a different breed of dog, they are not dogs at all.

This ruling can't be used to make AIs slaughter black humans or white humans or asian humans or any humans. Despite their different "breeds," they are all objectively human. Lizards are objectively not human. So no, this really has nothing to do with race. This is specist, not racist.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #61866

Racism is bad.

Specism is fine in moderation.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #61872

Steelpoint wrote:Racism is bad.

Specism is fine in moderation.
If I shit on a player for being Is-A-Lizard for being a lizard or shit on Tyrone Jamalson for being black, the gameplay hasn't changed, just the window dressing used to justify it. That's what it really comes down to, how much of an excuse and how many excuses players need to be assholes to each other.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #61873

Sign them up for the gas chambers instead.
/vg/station Head Admin
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #61875

This thread is well and truly devolving into shitbaggotry.

If the community spergs itself like that over the fine points of the treatment of alien crew, then I can actually see why some policy and code changes are made without asking said community.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61876

LIZARD DEFENSE FORCE IN FULL EFFECT, CALL SECURITY!

DemonFiren wrote:If the community spergs itself like that over the fine points of the treatment of alien crew, then I can actually see why some policy and code changes are made without asking said community.
Who the fuck are you?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #61879

I am the person associated with my user name, if that was a serious question.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #61880

I think people acts more racist towards the scaly menace in here than IC.

Personally I've never mistreated a lizardman IC, especially because there is usually one in botanics, and as a chef, you never mistreat your brotanics if you know what's good for you.

But still, I like the IC point of not allowing them to START as heads, the whole racism and discrimination point is to give a challenge and make more the round more entertaining.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #61881

As I said. In game people tend to either treat Lizards very well, or just throw out the occasional snark remark.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #61994

Polls pretty clear, discussion has been had, its already spiralling and nothing new is being added. Locking thread, hopefully the admins will put this config into effect on the server.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #61999

peoplearestrange wrote:hopefully the admins will put this config into effect on the server.
It's already been in effect for the past several days, announced on page 2.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?