Trialmin Review: Archie700

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Trialmin Review: Archie700

Post by Cheshify » #710250

Archie700 has now been a Trial Admin for roughly two months.

Please use this thread as public review; it's encouraged for players to comment on how well/badly the trial admin has done and whether or not they think the trial admin should be made a full admin, if they should be removed from the admin team, if we should hit them with a really big rock, or if their promotion should be delayed.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
General Thrax
Byond Username: GeneralThrax

Re: Trialmin Review: Archie700

Post by General Thrax » #710251

They do excellent work but they're pretty pushy about topics in bus on occasion and peanut post there too. Imo that behaviour has slowly declined (with help from trainers and the headmin team) but still pops up once in a while. Really good in game though, no problems there.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #710321

Good admin, helpful and conversational. I would echo the stuff thrax said about being pushy about topics on occasion.
Isratosh
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Isratosh

Post by Isratosh » #710349

Fantastic work, very thorough, takes all the annoying stuff that I don't want to do. A real workhorse and very active. They have definitely improved on the conversational matters mentioned above, I think the trial process worked very well here. +1
Feedback
Bartholomew Martins
Spoiler:
conrad wrote: ↑Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:22 pm Image
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #710543

Takes on any ticket and generally holds good conversation about stuff on bus. I don't fully agree with Thrax's "pushy" take since generally Archie has their head on the right place and being decisive on your opinion isn't necessarily a bad trait (the peanut on bus part is real tho). However, I feel there's an issue with Archie that should be evaluated on a "is this what the admin team wants" sort of way.

I don't see Archie interacting with the community except for admin matters. The vast majority of recent discord posts from them are on admin channels, and posts on forums are on a "rules clarification and enforcement" sort of way. I also have not seen Archie attempt any sort of events or interactivity with rounds by pushing the funny admin buttons.

I am not a fan of admins that join the team just to ban people, but I can't pinpoint exactly if this is the case. My three paragraph essay ramble is all based on vibe checks. I'd encourage head admins to check if I'm completely wrong here.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug: ⋆ :beer: 𝒯𝒢𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒢 π“ˆπ’Άπ’·π’Άπ“‰π’Ύπ’Έπ’Άπ“. :faggot: ⋆ :heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: ↑Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: ↑Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: ↑Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #710552

it really confused me when archie was first brought onto the team because before they even joined the team they had a 1:4 ratio of playtime to connection time. most of the time they spend in just observer- only 20% is spent playing in-round. it’s not uncommon for new admins not to play in-game as they learn the new tools, but this kind of playtime was consistent before they became an admin.

i cant give any real feedback since ive never dealt with archie in a ticket, nor have i talked to them in the admin channels as others have talked about. the feedback that i can give is that my interactions with archie on the forums have only been negative. this is not to say that it’s been overwhelmingly negative, but rather that i cannot count a single moment where archie made me smile or i felt like i wanted to put weight to their words

half of this is just +1’ing conrad to say he’s not crazy. would’ve never posted this if he didn’t- because like i said i dont have any real interactions with archie
im gay (and also play the moth β€œbugger”)
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #710606

conrad wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:40 pm I am not a fan of admins that join the team just to ban people, but I can't pinpoint exactly if this is the case.
I also get the impression this is the case as do some players I know. Archie doesn’t run events in my experience or interact with the playerbase, nor joins to play. They seem to mainly be around to ban people essentially, and while this is helpful in a way, I’m not sure it’s the right motive to be an admin.

They are also assuming in tickets in my experience. For instance β€œwhy did you random search X,” assuming from the outset a rule was violated.

I’ve left more general feedback in their admin thread that I won’t repeat here but I’m not sure they would be a healthy admin for the server to have.
Spoiler:
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #710614

I'm glad to see Archie on Sybil during lowpop hours frequently. For lowpop hour admins we basically have That Engineer, Archie, and Aaron right now, which is a huge improvement over the 0 active admins we had even a few months ago.

I personally don't have an issue with the fact that they prefer to passively observe instead of being an active dungeon master type of admin. I don't think every single adminstrator needs to do that.

So far, I believe I have only had 1 ticket with them, which I mentioned in their feedback thread. But, basically, my opinion is that they're just fine. I have not seen nor heard of any credible cases of abuse or misconduct from them, and they provide much needed services within the community, such as their streamlining appeals with log-scouring, and their aforementioned off-hour server coverage.

I'm totally fine with seeing them promoted to full admin. I don't think they're the 10/10 most fun and bestest top admin in the community, but I also feel like some people in this thread are holding them to weird higher standards than they would other trialmins, possibly due to personal opinions/biases/issues/vendettas with Archie. Like, everyone is saying "oooh, he's just here to ban people.", but I'm looking around like "Okay, yeah, so what, we had literally no admins on Sybil 99% of the time to even do that much a year ago, it's a huge improvement."

Like, the people who want him to not be promoted if he doesn't DM, but then ignore the plight of Sybil being unmanned all the time, what the hell? How about you let him fix our manpower issues and make the rounds fun yourself?

I'll care about his motives for being an admin when Sybil stops being treated like an abandoned red-headed step-child by the rest of the admin team during off-peak hours, thanks.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #710620

Archie has, in my perspective, been someone who is very quick to respond and deliberate situations or scenarios with a strong sense of wanting to do things properly or at least do things in a way to promote the best server health possible.

I do see a bit of my own experience as admin in them, and I actually welcome an admin willing to take stances and challenge presumptions or present strong opinions. While I do think they might get a little worked up every so often, I don't think that is a damning quality. We're not robots, and we're not going to start demoting admins/trialmins because they either got angry or upset handling a given situation. However, that isn't a total tolerance on acting on strong emotions in a way that is abusive of their powers.

I don't believe I have seen any such problem from Archie. So, all in all, they're very strong-willed but otherwise entirely capable as an admin. It is better having them around and willing to help directly than for them not to be around. And I think they will grow to be more capable as time goes on. I especially appreciate they provide very useful logging services for appeals even now. Saves admins and players a considerable amount of time doing so themselves.
sinfulbliss wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:01 am They are also assuming in tickets in my experience. For instance β€œwhy did you random search X,” assuming from the outset a rule was violated.
Sorry that you are learning this here, but inquiring about particular actions is something admins do. And that approach is so common it is laughable that you're using it as a condemnation. I'm sure if you had a reasonable excuse in such a given situation, the ticket ends on the first reply. The only failing is that is particularly blunt, which is something that admins learn themselves out of. A blunt approach to tickets is not a good reasoning for not making someone an admin. Everyone learns etiquette at their own pace.

Leaving out this aspect given the frivolousness of it, I feel like I can safely say that the main reason you've come to this conclusion does in fact involve the aforementioned information in your review thread post, wherein you seem convinced that Archie has some personal vendetta against you.

You also seemingly allude to them at some point will abuse/presently are abusing of their privileges due to an apparent intense desire to be overly controlling. I'll be honest, I think this is entirely conjecture on your part, because you've outright refused to actually state as such or present actual evidence to your overall assumptions other than discord messages lacking context that don't read particularly charged in any fashion. You have a note history to back up their statements, and it can be taken as fact given the frequency those notes seem to pop up over a long period of time.

If Archie does abuse their position in some fashion to personally target you, sinful, you should almost certainly make such a thing more apparent than vaguepsoting about it, rather than trying to underhandedly undermine their integrity through said vagueposting.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #710623

NecromancerAnne wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:49 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:01 am They are also assuming in tickets in my experience. For instance β€œwhy did you random search X,” assuming from the outset a rule was violated.
Sorry that you are learning this here, but inquiring about particular actions is something admins do. And that approach is so common it is laughable that you're using it as a condemnation. I'm sure if you had a reasonable excuse in such a given situation, the ticket ends on the first reply. The only failing is that is particularly blunt, which is something that admins learn themselves out of. A blunt approach to tickets is not a good reasoning for not making someone an admin. Everyone learns etiquette at their own pace.

Leaving out this aspect given the frivolousness of it, I feel like I can safely say that the main reason you've come to this conclusion does in fact involve the aforementioned information in your review thread post, wherein you seem convinced that Archie has some personal vendetta against you.

You also seemingly allude to them at some point will abuse/presently are abusing of their privileges due to an apparent intense desire to be overly controlling. I'll be honest, I think this is entirely conjecture on your part, because you've outright refused to actually state as such or present actual evidence to your overall assumptions other than discord messages lacking context that don't read particularly charged in any fashion.
I'm sorry that you are learning this here, but accusing someone of a rulebreak off the bat in a ticket is not "being blunt," it's assuming someone is guilty until proven innocent, and it's not good conduct.

They absolutely are overly controlling, however. They micromanage IC situations that they don't believe are going in a good directions, and hand out bans for this. I would be shocked if they were capable of applying rule 0 to situations. I've seen instances of them quashing valuable RP in favor of a by-the-book enforcement of the rules. If you want evidence, check their bans I suppose, I'm not in a position to do much more than just offer my perspective and opinion, based on friends that have posted bans from them and opinions of them, along with my own experience.

You are the one with all of the tools to check how they handle themselves as an admin. This is what a feedback thread is for, I'm sorry you are upset that a player is actually using a feedback thread to post negative feedback for once, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't find it important.
Spoiler:
General Thrax

Post by General Thrax » #710628

conrad wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:40 pm Takes on any ticket and generally holds good conversation about stuff on bus. I don't fully agree with Thrax's "pushy" take since generally Archie has their head on the right place and being decisive on your opinion isn't necessarily a bad trait
It’s more so frequently commenting on rulings with something like β€œyou should have done this” or being rather overbearing, it’s rolled into the peanut in bus. Not really much being β€œdecisive on your opinion” and more so eating popcorn from the sideline while telling the guy you’re watching that they should’ve played better.

There’s been a lot of work to drill this behaviour out with some success (a fair bit from both me and the training team) but its still prevalent. I think Archie is a fine admin but it’s not something I’d like to see out of bus, considering it’s a space reserved for headmin rulings I don’t read and my own personal shitposts.
conrad

Post by conrad » #710630

General Thrax wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:11 pm
conrad wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:40 pm Takes on any ticket and generally holds good conversation about stuff on bus. I don't fully agree with Thrax's "pushy" take since generally Archie has their head on the right place and being decisive on your opinion isn't necessarily a bad trait
It’s more so frequently commenting on rulings with something like β€œyou should have done this” or being rather overbearing, it’s rolled into the peanut in bus. Not really much being β€œdecisive on your opinion” and more so eating popcorn from the sideline while telling the guy you’re watching that they should’ve played better.

There’s been a lot of work to drill this behaviour out with some success (a fair bit from both me and the training team) but its still prevalent. I think Archie is a fine admin but it’s not something I’d like to see out of bus, considering it’s a space reserved for headmin rulings I don’t read and my own personal shitposts.
I see what you mean. I think I just bundled it with peanutting in bus, sorry for the misunderstanding. In that case yeah I agree with you 100%.

I feel I should still say there's a lot of merit on the actual dedication Archie has for doing the less pleasant part of being an admin. They do listen when it's their ticket and their ruling and that's really cool for an admin to do.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug: ⋆ :beer: 𝒯𝒢𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒢 π“ˆπ’Άπ’·π’Άπ“‰π’Ύπ’Έπ’Άπ“. :faggot: ⋆ :heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: ↑Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: ↑Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #710636

Nuts to Sinful's opinion, I think Archie does a great job for a newer admin and any issues he's having can be ironed out. +1 promote.
AliasTakuto wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #710769

behind the scenes archie is very detail oriented and highly driven to always reach a sensible conclusion to issues. he is not the type of person to say "fuck it" and take the easy route, rather he will scour logs for as long as it takes to figure something out and resolve it. he's very active in discussions and will not shy away from saying or doing something that's difficult but needs to be done or said.

sure, like some other people have mentioned he could use some PR training for how to talk nicely to players so they can enjoy their evening without feeling the chill wind of the vile admin at their neck, but everything from day 1 has been nothing but an improvement and i'm confident that he'll continue to improve. i haven't seen anything that gives me "don't admin, don't trust" vibes - quite the opposite.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #710797

dendydoom wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:53 am behind the scenes archie is very detail oriented and highly driven to always reach a sensible conclusion to issues. he is not the type of person to say "fuck it" and take the easy route, rather he will scour logs for as long as it takes to figure something out and resolve it. he's very active in discussions and will not shy away from saying or doing something that's difficult but needs to be done or said.
I disagree. In my experience Archie has inserted himself into a situation, recklessly ignored relevant context which resulted in unfairly painting me in a bad light. I wound up giving up on an appeal because of his actions as I felt like any point I might raise would not be taken in good faith.

Source: viewtopic.php?p=707939#p707939
help
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #710800

Posting you did in fact do, along with evidence, is bad faith behaviour now?
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #710803

NecromancerAnne wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:56 am Posting you did in fact do, along with evidence, is bad faith behaviour now?
The post had to be edited because it was biased.
help
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #710804

NecromancerAnne wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:56 am Posting you did in fact do, along with evidence, is bad faith behaviour now?
i believe pepper is referring to the parts of the post that had to be edited out by headmins
edit: ninja’d….
im gay (and also play the moth β€œbugger”)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #710805

Ah, no, that's fairer, my b.
conrad

Post by conrad » #710862

dendydoom wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:53 am i haven't seen anything that gives me "don't admin, don't trust" vibes - quite the opposite.
Btw I wanna highlight that on my feedback piece I don't assert that Archie is a "don't admin -1" case, at least from me. (I'm not saying you implied that but I have been pinged at with that assumption)

I'm not a trainer or headmin or anyone with access to the inner chambers of the Elders of /tg/, so all I did was a cursory check of messages sent and recent tickets answered, plus the experience of sharing the ivory tower with them.

That being said, I was hoping for more on the community facing side. This is why don't just go +1 either.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #710876

Pepper wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:49 am
dendydoom wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:53 am behind the scenes archie is very detail oriented and highly driven to always reach a sensible conclusion to issues. he is not the type of person to say "fuck it" and take the easy route, rather he will scour logs for as long as it takes to figure something out and resolve it. he's very active in discussions and will not shy away from saying or doing something that's difficult but needs to be done or said.
I disagree. In my experience Archie has inserted himself into a situation, recklessly ignored relevant context which resulted in unfairly painting me in a bad light. I wound up giving up on an appeal because of his actions as I felt like any point I might raise would not be taken in good faith.

Source: viewtopic.php?p=707939#p707939
that's fair if that's your experience, i'm glad people are sharing them.
NSFW:
General Thrax

Post by General Thrax » #710980

conrad wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:09 pm Btw I wanna highlight that on my feedback piece I don't assert that Archie is a "don't admin -1" case, at least from me. (I'm not saying you implied that but I have been pinged at with that assumption)

I'm not a trainer or headmin or anyone with access to the inner chambers of the Elders of /tg/, so all I did was a cursory check of messages sent and recent tickets answered, plus the experience of sharing the ivory tower with them.

That being said, I was hoping for more on the community facing side. This is why don't just go +1 either.
This is what I'm leaning towards, myself. While they DO fine work, they tend to be fairly blunt and not super sympathetic in tickets (imo). Along with what I mentioned in the above I think they could cook a little longer as a trialmin.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #711325

General Thrax wrote: ↑Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:02 am This is what I'm leaning towards, myself. While they DO fine work, they tend to be fairly blunt and not super sympathetic in tickets (imo). Along with what I mentioned in the above I think they could cook a little longer as a trialmin.
This is something I had problems with myself when I first became admin. I did it usually because I was too focused on objectivity of the situation as opposed to the nuance and feelings of those involved. It's an easy pattern to fall into when you have a lot of the facts in front of you already.

What I would suggest is finding a good admin that you think handles tickets in a very neutral, approachable tone and suggest they look over them to see where they might improve. I don't know if it is really enough to block them moving into full admin, but it is something that I would recommend at least talking with them about more thoroughly and demonstrating how maybe the way they are approaching tickets could be hampering their ability to get solid information or positive results from interactions.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #712362

I have been, for the longest time, one of the major opponents to Archie getting adminned (at all) and their promotion to trialmin. I believed they weren't a good fit back when it was proposed, and I believed that they were too headstrong in bus, too aggressive against problem players, and far more often than I'd like to see, acted as though they were the definitive be-all-end-all on how to act/administrate/handle a ban. I've had to tell them off for trying to handle a candidate who I was training's questions (responding with incorrect information as well, due to a lack of awareness of the situation) and for various negative actions in bus or chatter.

Despite everything, though, I will (begrudgingly) admit that they've shaped up significantly since they've started. Where I would previously give a hard -1 to promotion to gameadmin (and likely throw in some snark about "who promoted them to trial to begin with?") I do not think I wholly can anymore.
They've still got problems to improve (namely, I think they still use a lot of way too prescriptive language in bus- telling admins how to handle situations instead of suggesting is the one that's still standing out to me) but they're... alright.
I won't say "get rid of them", I will say "leave them in the oven for another month or two."
-0.5 or 0 or whatever that would come out to be.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #712757

We've chosen to extend Archie700's trial for a while longer, keep improving!
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #719411

We're re-opening Archie700's trial review thread. Please leave feedback of their recent performance as a trial admin.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
conrad

Post by conrad » #719459

So on my end, I've warmed up to Archie on the basis of seeing them trying to be have fun with the funny admin buttons, doing things here and there like answering prayers, and generally being more pleasant in bus. There has been a notable improvement IMO.

The behaviour that Thrax previously mentioned hasn't been fully drilled out, though. Being responded to with ellipsis on a text chat is also pretty egregious but it probably pisses me off more than it should. I do hope that if the continue in the team, they improve on working more as a team member and being supportive when someone first asks about a situation they are not involved in. Finally, I did the old "look at their activity outside of admin channels" and I still feel that Archie does not have a community footprint.

All that being said, Archie pulls an UNGODLY amount of admin hours in all servers. That is a tremendous merit that shouldn't be ignored.

Personally, weighting these factors together, I wouldn't support promotion, solely based on my personal belief that admins are community members/leaders first and rules enforcers second, but I'm not a trainer nor a head admin, and it's up to the current term to decide if that's what they want. This is just my two cents.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #719494

conrad wrote: ↑Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:51 pm So on my end, I've warmed up to Archie on the basis of seeing them trying to be have fun with the funny admin buttons, doing things here and there like answering prayers, and generally being more pleasant in bus. There has been a notable improvement IMO.

The behaviour that Thrax previously mentioned hasn't been fully drilled out, though. Being responded to with ellipsis on a text chat is also pretty egregious but it probably pisses me off more than it should. I do hope that if the continue in the team, they improve on working more as a team member and being supportive when someone first asks about a situation they are not involved in. Finally, I did the old "look at their activity outside of admin channels" and I still feel that Archie does not have a community footprint.

All that being said, Archie pulls an UNGODLY amount of admin hours in all servers. That is a tremendous merit that shouldn't be ignored.

Personally, weighting these factors together, I wouldn't support promotion, solely based on my personal belief that admins are community members/leaders first and rules enforcers second, but I'm not a trainer nor a head admin, and it's up to the current term to decide if that's what they want. This is just my two cents.
I don't get why you think I don't have a community footprint. Personally, handling ahelps and appeal is engaging with the community, even if it's less glamorous than communicating with others in discord.

And community leadership means you have to manage the good and the bad of the community. And sometimes, that means having to enforce rules if someone tries to start something, whether ingame or otherwise.
Harusha wrote: ↑Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #719606

I think Archie does a good enough job. I feel like they tend to approach issues with sort of a "defined idea" of what's happening before seeing what the situation is, which I'm not a huge fan of, but they do seem to make the right decision in the end. I think any issues that I have with them can be ironed out with time. I don't see a reason to not promote right now.
AliasTakuto wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #719760

I personally am not entirely sure why Archie hasn't been promoted as of yet. They are very active in admin discussions, very active on all servers, and seem to have a good grasp of the rules themselves. They do have some trouble hitting a conclusion on whether someone has to have a talking to at times, and what about, but I think that goes to show how much they're weighing their actions. And that's a good thing. Deliberation is part of the role.

As an example, I spent a large period of time discussing this particular incident with them. During it, it did feel as though we had to keep the discussion getting too off focus every now and again (mostly trying to keep them from overthinking aspects of the incident, even if they were important), but Archie still handled it well. Laying out the timeline of events and the meaning behind those events is a skill many admins don't develop readily. They did it very well, and had enough facts to present when they came to discuss the matter that the ban itself was reasonably justified. And, they did very well in regards to the appeal itself after re-evaluating the situation.

So the only thing I would say is that they need confidence in their judgements, but quite honestly that is purely an experience thing. And they are getting better.

Contrary to conrad's statement (and this is nothing personal, condrad, I do apologize for singling you out here but it stands out as a take that doesn't sit right with me), Archie contributes quite a bit in the appeal process through log posting (a service any admin and player can appreciate), and on discussions here on the forums. They have a decent amount of posts here. To me, that's a reasonable way to be involved. They do not have to be overly active in either our main public discussion channels on discord, and their broad involvement over several servers means they are more often actively online than many of our older admins. I can't imagine their presence goes unnoticed.

They're just, well, an observer main. The amount of time admin'd and ghosted far outweighs their living time. That's not a bad thing, adminning is usually done while an observer, and we have had some admins with living times in the double digits in the past (I don't get it myself but to each their own).

It would be absurd for every admin to be constantly involved in every facet of community discussion, but even by the low bar of 'be present', they clearly are present. Given their presence on the servers, there is a high likelihood they might end up with a level of coverage equal to vekter given enough time.

I honestly feel like there is a has been a disproportionate amount of expectations placed on Archie that I don't feel is either realistic or fair, especially in light of the fact that they've been active even during their extended trialminship and showing improvement. I feel it isn't reasonable to keep someone who is otherwise a functional admin from advancing just even if they may have some skills to develop still. Every admin continues to develop even past that period. And I'm sure that if there was anything that would have demonstrated they could not be trusted with their role, it would have become apparent by now.

Edit: I tab away for one second to see ekaterina name dropping Archie because of their logging. How isn't that proof enough that people know about Archie and what they do for the community?
conrad

Post by conrad » #719772

I was expecting more, which I don't think is that much, perhaps due to the fact the recent admins that have been promoted have a community engagement that goes beyond rules clarification, appeal log procurement and tickets, and to me that felt like something that is fundamental to any admin.

I don't mean just "talking to people on the discord", I mean interacting with the community other than the facet of being an admin that involves sitting on the bwoink booth. This is related to being an observer main, yes, as well as the content of forum and discord chatter.

As for admins that already don't interact that much, there is usually a transition period between someone playing the game and taking steps to move away from that and only adminning. This is perhaps why it feels weird to me.

And I'll be fully honest, I probably would let this all slide if Archie was easier to talk to in the admin channels. Stuff like this (sorry friends, this is admins only) should not be a thing anymore. I shouldn't have to ask what they're talking about.

This is why I phrase my feedback as a request to ponder if that is what the headmin team wants, moreso than "bad bad -1". If what Archie does fulfills the requirements of what the headmins are looking for, then I wouldn't be opposed to a promotion. But personally I am not the #1 fan of this. And if a promotion does happen, I would, at the very least, expect to see a change in this "leave them guessing" behaviour posthaste.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #719787

+1 from me because archie puts a LOT of time and effort into their role, and i personally haven't seen any dire outcomes from his rulings. they seem to be sensible. players who disagree with this should feel free to comment, it is helpful.

they can be difficult to get a straight answer out of sometimes and it's clear that some things will bother them and they should really try to be more aware of this and disengage for a moment, but i have seen nothing but improvement on these aspects and i don't think this is an impassable barrier to their progression. they just need to learn to chill out sometimes and say what they mean a little more.

there's no one on earth who has an unlimited wellspring of energy, and i think the concern comes from archie burning out - some of these behaviours are the kinds of things you see from admins who have been doing it for years and are a little tired of dealing with it. but i don't particularly care for this; archie is free to make up his own mind about his level of contribution. as long as he is looking after himself i don't see a particularly good reason to hold it against him.
NSFW:
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #719788

I agree with Anne, I'm shocked they're still pink. Unlike Anne though, I will unapologetically go ahead and single out some of the scrutiny and criticism here that is holding Archie to a higher standard than active Game Admins. (No offense Conrad, but you are the only one who's posted since it's been re-opened)
conrad wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:04 am I was expecting more, which I don't think is that much, perhaps due to the fact the recent admins that have been promoted have a community engagement that goes beyond rules clarification, appeal log procurement and tickets, and to me that felt like something that is fundamental to any admin.
Except Archie goes above and beyond in these things. We're expected to get logs and such for our own appeals. Meanwhile Archie has consistently posted logs for issues that aren't even their own for ages now and like you said, puts in crazy hours. That makes them a valuable member of the team fullstop. That means they undoubtable have a footprint that I think improves the average game experience for a player.

I remember coming to a prior headmin term before Archie was even a candidate; I was concerned about how players filing admin complaints could be expected to logdive effectively for their issues. To assuage these fears, they told me that members of the community often volunteer, coming forward and providing logging help. You'll never guess who they name dropped. (It was Archie. They told me that Archie did this for people. In case that wasn't clear.)

I'm confused as to what more you're asking of them,
conrad wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:04 am I don't mean just "talking to people on the discord", I mean interacting with the community other than the facet of being an admin that involves sitting on the bwoink booth. This is related to being an observer main, yes, as well as the content of forum and discord chatter.
I don't think this advice is entirely actionable but even beyond that, can you confidently say that the other 90~ Gameadmins, trainers, and GM's meet your standard? He's certainly interacted more with #Tgstation-general than I have.

Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #719790

If Dusty Exaliber (whose existence I only learnt of when their trialmin review thread was made) was promoted, not promoting Archie is a top 10 anime betrayals moment

As far as I'm aware, Archie not feeling like talking in every peanut and licking boots in tg gen has not affected their ability to be a correct admin. If they somehow were so out of touch with the community that their rulings sucked absolute ass, then I'd understand this being an issue, but this feels like a "HOW DARE YOU NOT BE AS ACTIVE AS ME?!!".

They will learn how to communicate within the admin channels better with time and gatekeeping them because of stuff they can easily improve is silly and a waste of experience.
Spoiler:
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #719792

They've been really helpful, maybe they could be a bit less abrasive but like that is personal opinion and everyone has their own style of adminning. Anyhow +1, did way more during their trial than I ever did and are very knowledgeable in admin tools and da rules.
Isratosh
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Isratosh

Post by Isratosh » #719832

Isratosh wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:38 pm Fantastic work, very thorough, takes all the annoying stuff that I don't want to do. A real workhorse and very active. They have definitely improved on the conversational matters mentioned above, I think the trial process worked very well here. +1
+1
My opinion has not changed, I am still fully in support of a promotion. Anything else would be a disservice to the time and energy that Archie has put towards this game and our community. I don't agree at all that each and every admin needs to engage fully with the community like best pals - I don't do that, for one example. Archie interacts with players in-game and that's all we need them to do.

My only concern and advice is around the attitude that they express when communicating with players and other admins. I want to see less giving commands in all-caps in admin-bus and more calm, cool, collected, chill opinions shared with the goal of working together. They've improved on this greatly since the first trial review and I believe they can perfect it over time as a Game Admin.
Feedback
Bartholomew Martins
Spoiler:
conrad wrote: ↑Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:22 pm Image
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #719853

honestly it had not occured to me archie was still a trial min
promote them they have earned it more than i did in logposts alone
respect (let him do his thing)
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #719918

Archie700 has been promoted to game admin!
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta